Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love my Commander, but I want to add a toyhauler or a box trailer with basic camping gear to my toy box. Currently I have a 16 foot tantem axle utility trailer . Not sure how much it weighs other than the data plate says it's rated to haul 7,000 pounds. On the way to the local trails I pull some steep hills. When I put 3 4x4 atv's and a couple dirt bikes I'm close to the red line a lot, get around 9.5 mpg instead of my normal 14 mpg. I want a box trailer so I can stay overnight and have it all ready to roll when I got off work on my Friday, just hook up and roll out.
Guess I'm looking for torque over horse power. No upgrades other than a K&N drop in, and just changed the plugs to champion double platinum's.
Also would like a small lift to compliments the 255 tires I have, and it PISSES me off that hummers sit higher then me.
Sorry to wright a book, just trying to paint y'all a picture.
Thank you for your time.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I'd start out by buying the Superchips Flashpaq and setting it to the tow setting. Gears are a big thing when it comes to towing but unfortunately no one makes gears lower then the 3.73's you already have.

·
2,248 Posts
Well, if you just need something to get you over the steep hills you could try this. You might want to put something in front of your trailer to keep it from burning up.

·
Registered
378 Posts
So what you're saying is that your current setup already red lines your Jeep, but you want to add a heavier trailer AND bigger tires to this setup?

·
1,993 Posts
I'd start out by buying the Superchips Flashpaq and setting it to the tow setting. Gears are a big thing when it comes to towing but unfortunately no one makes gears lower then the 3.73's you already have.
This was the first thing I thought of while reading the thread. 7000lbs will but a strain on most vehicles in that situation the only way to easily pull that would be in a 1/2 ton maybe.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
A HEMI really wouldnt have made that much of a difference with that heavy of a trailer. He needs lower gears.

·
Banned
246 Posts
A 5.7l HEMI with the same 5 speed automatic 545rfe with a 3.73 ratio in a 07 2500 Ram quad cab can tow 9250lbs.

So yes the HEMI commander could do what you want and more.

·
1,993 Posts
A 5.7l HEMI with the same 5 speed automatic 545rfe with a 3.73 ratio in a 07 2500 Ram quad cab can tow 9250lbs.

So yes the HEMI commander could do what you want and more.
You can put what ever name you want on an engine but its the numbers the engine puts out that matters. First it's not an actual HEMI anyway it just has the name. Even though it does put out slightly more HP/torque it's nothing the 4.7L can't beat with some mods. Trying to pull 7000lbs up hill with either engine with the factory tow package installed giving them both the 3:73 gear will put a hurt on either engine. Installing some mods will help slightly with gaining more HP the programmer will help some more switching to the tow mode but that weight on the XK going up hill will make it struggle know matter what.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what you're saying is that your current setup already red lines your Jeep, but you want to add a heavier trailer AND bigger tires to this setup?
Nope, I plan on sticking with the tires size I have now, just adding a small lift.
To clarify, the trailer I have now can haul 7,000 pounds, I have no Idea what it weighs in at.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Are you speaking from experience about the Commander with a HEMI with 3.73 ration?
Yes, I always speak from experience.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts

Sorry, you are not comparing apples to apples. The Ram is a body and full boxed frame; the Commander is a unibody. If this does not make sense to you, compare the tow ratings between the 2010 Explorer (body and frame) and the new 2011 Explorer (unibody). A full frame can pull more than a unibody. IMO. :eek:rangehat:

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Exactly, there's more to it then how big the engine is. It has a lot to do with what type of frame the vehicle has like you just mentioned, the class of the hitch you are towing with, the weight the rear end can handle (axle/leafs or coils).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well I agree with others that a programmer of some sort set to tow will be the best bang for your buck. But I would say u would really need to watch your temp gauges if u are going to be towin over ur limit. This is the only reason I bought the hemi right off the bat I knew I would regret not having enough power. Oh and the ram can tow more for a couple more reasons than just dif frames it also has to do with suspension and I'm sure a few other things but the engine is most important

·
Banned
246 Posts
Wait a minute, the initial argument was that the HEMI Commander couldn't tow that kind of weight due to 3:73 gear ratio. All I did was point out that the HEMI with the same transmission and 3:73 gear ratio is know to tow more in the same power train configuration as the HEMI Commander.

The Max a HEMI Commander can tow is 7400 lbs.

The class four receiver hitch is rated at 10,000 lbs, the hitch weight is 740lbs in the 74000 lbs commander towing capacity. If you exceed the hitch weight you can use a weight distribution hitch to correct that problem. Trailer sway is correct by the commander using the ABS. You should use some kind of trailer brakes.

Your 7,000 lb capacity trailer weighs about a ton (2,000 lbs). If you take the gvwr and subtract the load capacity you will be able to get the trailer dry weight.

If you have a correct tow vehicle/trailer setup you shouldn't have any issues. You should only notice the in acceleration, trailer brakes will take care of stopping to a point. You still need to leave extra distance. There should be minimum squatting of the suspension and if need be you will need a distribution hitch.

Oh I am speaking from experience and have a HEMI!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Wait a minute, the initial argument was that the HEMI Commander couldn't tow that kind of weight due to 3:73 gear ratio. All I did was point out that the HEMI with the same transmission and 3:73 gear ratio is know to tow more in the same power train configuration as the HEMI Commander.

The Max a HEMI Commander can tow is 7400 lbs.

The class four receiver hitch is rated at 10,000 lbs, the hitch weight is 740lbs in the 74000 lbs commander towing capacity. If you exceed the hitch weight you can use a weight distribution hitch to correct that problem. Trailer sway is correct by the commander using the ABS. You should use some kind of trailer brakes.

Your 7,000 lb capacity trailer weighs about a ton (2,000 lbs). If you take the gvwr and subtract the load capacity you will be able to get the trailer dry weight.

If you have a correct tow vehicle/trailer setup you shouldn't have any issues. You should only notice the in acceleration, trailer brakes will take care of stopping to a point. You still need to leave extra distance. There should be minimum squatting of the suspension and if need be you will need a distribution hitch.

Oh I am speaking from experience and have a HEMI!
No one ever said it couldnt tow that trailer because it has 3.73 gears. It was stated that lower gears help out for towing. The OP asked what he could do to his 4.7 liter Commander to help out and I stated the best thing he could do is swap to some lower gears but unfortunately no one makes them. So whats the since in arguing over what the HEMI can do. I highly doubt he is going to sell his 4.7 Liter XK just to buy another one with a HEMI. Just becase you say you have a HEMI doent mean you can speak from experience. I doubt you have even pulled a trailer with your XK. Just like you tried comparing a Frontier and H3 to the Commander. QD II is one of the best four wheel drive systems on the market and the Frontier/H3 will never compare to that off road. Thats apples to oranges.

BTW, the HEMI commander can tow 7,200 lbs.......not 7,400. Surprised you didnt see that in the owners manual.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
07JeepXK said:
BTW, the HEMI commander can tow 7,200 lbs.......not 7,400. Surprised you didnt see that in the owners manual.
The 4WD HEMI is rated for towing 7,200 lbs. The 2WD HEMI is rated for towing 7,400 lbs.

·
Banned
246 Posts
You can put what ever name you want on an engine but its the numbers the engine puts out that matters. First it's not an actual HEMI anyway it just has the name. Even though it does put out slightly more HP/torque it's nothing the 4.7L can't beat with some mods. Trying to pull 7000lbs up hill with either engine with the factory tow package installed giving them both the 3:73 gear will put a hurt on either engine. Installing some mods will help slightly with gaining more HP the programmer will help some more switching to the tow mode but that weight on the XK going up hill will make it struggle know matter what.
So the 5.7 vs the 4.7, we wont call them HEMI since names don't matter.
4.7l 305 HP and 334 TQ
5.7l 357 HP and 389 TQ
numbers based on a 09 MY

Sure spend $1000+ trying to catch a HEMI, hope everything goes well. Could be alot of head aches.

A HEMI really wouldnt have made that much of a difference with that heavy of a trailer. He needs lower gears.
So a bigger engine with horsepower and torque wont effect anything? I think it would!

Yes, I always speakfrom experience.
The question was are you speaking for experience about a HEMI with 3:73? I noticed it says You have a 4.7l, you know that they are two different engines right?

07JEEPXK, usually tow 3 to 4 times month to the lake. The normal weight is 5,400 lbs. The most I have weighed in is 12542 GCW, towed that for 700 miles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Towing with a Hemi is almost a option for me. My wifes 2006 Cherokee overland is a 5.7L . Getting trail dust and or mud all over the inside on those suede seats is not. I been over at pirate4x4 looking at box trailers and found some uhaul's turned into cool toy haulers. Seams to fit the bill for me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts