Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 XK Limited with dual air controls has a broken gear on passenger side of air blend doors. Actuator is OK but the gear that attaches to the end of the blend door shaft is broken and I have not been able to locate a part number or a source for the gear. It is NOT the big gear (P/N 68072190AA). It is the smaller gear that attaches directly to the end of the shaft.
From other threads I have seen, they indicated that this gear is no longer made and that a big chunk of the HVAC system must be purchased to get one. Hopefully that is not true. Would hate to try an track one down on a parts Jeep somewhere.

·
Registered
350 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After I made my initial post, I discovered one for sale on eBay at https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-Commander-heater-blend-door-coupler-actuator-connecting-part/273038148883?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Apparently this part is common with the 05-10 Grand Cherokee. The guy with the eBay listing is in Israel. He broke one and decided to use a 3D printer to make one. Now he is selling them on eBay for $40 plus S&H. Not cheap but it is the only source for one I can find other than a salvage yard. Apparently this part is marked as "Not serviceable" by Chrysler.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem is passenger side - no heat. No problem with recirculate door.
I have already fixed several doors when I first bought the XK. Driver side door had bad actuator - made a lot of noise. Replaced actuator and fixed that problem. The air recirculate door was also bad due to broken gear. Replaced the gear and fixed that. Now the passenger side door is broke due to broken gear. Either the design is bad or they used inferior materials in all the HVAC system.

·
Banned
159 Posts
Sounds like you got what you need. but if you arent in a hurry and dont want to pay the $40 I got a donor vehicle I could check for that part. Of course it may have the same problem but who knows.

and those damn recirc doors are always failing these. its been a problem forever even my wj had the issue, seems like jeep could do something better that wont strip/crack and fail.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As the OP, I wanted to report back after fixing my problem. I did order the part I needed from the guy in Israel and it works fine. Hated to pay $40 for it but there are not too many option since Chrysler decided we did not need this part and no longer sells it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I just ended up pushing and pulling mine manually on my last Commander. What a pain that certain parts are almost guaranteed to fail and Jeep won't issue a (somewhat expensive) TSB.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Is this the part?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2707632

The guy who made the file might have other ones as well. All you have to do is get access to a 3d printer.

Many High Schools and Community Colleges have a 3d printing class. I used one to supply me with parts from this site's files. Nominal fee of 5 bucks for 4 items that would have run around 30 from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My take on this is the computerized hvac system keeps driving actuators past the normal stop point. The heater system used to go a little crazy on my vehicle, and you could hear a clicking as the actuator kept driving. The hvac dash control panel eventually died, and the problems ceased after replacing it.
By "overdriving" the blend doors and such, fatique sets in, and things break. Chrysler sucks when it comes to electrical and electronic components.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Problem is passenger side - no heat. No problem with recirculate door.
I have already fixed several doors when I first bought the XK. Driver side door had bad actuator - made a lot of noise. Replaced actuator and fixed that problem. The air recirculate door was also bad due to broken gear. Replaced the gear and fixed that. Now the passenger side door is broke due to broken gear. Either the design is bad or they used inferior materials in all the HVAC system.
Hello,

i need to replace the passenger side blend door actuator (entire assembly) and i am trying to figure out if i need to order blendoor actuator "main" or does it matter? i have 06 limited 5.7 hemi and it has the dual climate controls. Could you possibly provide an answer on what one i need to buy for the passenger side? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
There are a couple of parts associated with that, that commonly break and/or fail.

Here is a pretty good thread about it that has alot of details including part numbers.

Part # 68017816AB for fresh air/recirc air door part.

Part # 5143192AA actuator for heater doors.

There is also a plastic gear on the actuator/recirculation door that tends to break off or the teeth on the plastic gear actually strip.

Recirculation Door Stays Open

Here is another pretty good thread on the subject:

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/5-general-commander-discussion/68521-blower-fan-working-but-no-air-movement.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts