Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 06 commander 3.7l. Was looking at parts, specifically a camshaft and on one it say fitment left and the other fitment right. How do you know which one it is. Is it left aside looking at the front of the motor or the right side when you are inside the vehicle. They totally confused the sh** out of me on this one. I've got a tick when idle and under power and it's either lifters or possibly camshaft. Can anyone help with this?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
Right on engine is passenger side.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Some 3.7 engines had issues with oil passages for the lifters or camshafts getting plugged from excess sludge caused by petroleum oils and running the engine on short trips without getting the engine fully warm. When this sludging occurs you can hear a ticking sound.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What is the easiest and cheapest way to remove the sludge buildup? Do you have to replace the lifters and camshafts?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The noise is there at idle and when reving on passenger side I'd the motor near the front

·
Registered
212 Posts
If you use a synthetic oil with a product called Archoil 9100 it will slowly, in a controlled way, dissolve the sludge. Motor flush type products can be too aggressive and risk loosening up everything at once and plug up everything like your oil filter. You may have to change oil a few times at reduced intervals.

Dan

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some 3.7 engines had issues with oil passages for the lifters or camshafts getting plugged from excess sludge caused by petroleum oils and running the engine on short trips without getting the engine fully warm. When this sludging occurs you can hear a ticking sound.
I have heard this before. I swapped a motor that had 85k miles and everything seemed great except the bad tick on passenger side head right up front at idle and around 12-1500rpm a little. Haven't drove it since it got put in last Friday other than putting in proper amount of coolant and changing all my fluids

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Changing the oil

Changing the oil and filter a couple of times with a reliable additive is a lot easier than changing engines. and can be done in your spare time. If it works even better, if not you were already thinking of changing motors or pieces thereof. Pull a valve cover check for sludge, change oil, check old oil in drain pan, repeat, when you're done recheck under valve cover.

Swanny

1 - 10 of 10 Posts