Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some reassurance about my purchase of an '06 Commander Limited. Have had the vehicle for 1 week and am already experiencing what I think is the "Ignition switch issue." I'm seeing a lot of complaints on the net about this vehicle. Can anybody offer me some reassurance that I bought a good vehicle? I moved from a '99 XJ that was super reliable. Big Jeep fan...don't want to be jaded by this one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've got the same issue going on with my recently purchased 07 XK. The issue is the dash will shut off, flash all the lights and then a few may stay on. Mine has been getting worse. I'm going to have the dealer look at it when I go in to get the new tires put on. Other than this issue though I've had no problems and love the vehicle. I think you bought a good vehicle, but like everything it's going to have its quirks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dash lights flicker and the NAV screen lighting flickers - head lights also. Very erratic...other drivers surely think you're flashing them. Have read many posts indicating that this is caused by a faulty ignition switch.

·
Registered
284 Posts
In all honesty you might just want to check you batery connection.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
The dash lights flicker and the NAV screen lighting flickers - head lights also. Very erratic...other drivers surely think you're flashing them. Have read many posts indicating that this is caused by a faulty ignition switch.
From your symptons I would guess either the ignition switch or the battery is bad. Even if you get the battery checked out and they say it is OK it can still be bad.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
We're beyond simple things like battery connections here, Holaday07. Thanks though.
Not necessarily. It could very well be the connection. Has happened to forum members before. So has the bad battery even though it checked out OK.

·
Registered
284 Posts
From your symptons I would guess either the ignition switch or the battery is bad. Even if you get the battery checked out and they say it is OK it can still be bad.

Hey I am not the only one that thinks it has to do with the battery or connection. So until you ruled out that I don't think you need to be rude about it. You asked for advice, and corrosion on a battery terminal fits the bill. Good luck with fixing your Jeep.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
First thing I would try, only because you can try this yourself at home, is test the battery cables to see if they are tight, for kicks and giggles. Then unhook the battery and wait a few minutes, then hook it back up. It may reset the computer system and fix everything. Hell, its worked before. With these vehicles you have to be willing to try things that members here tell you without simply dismissing it prematurely. These guys have very valuable experiance with the XK that maybe you can learn from. Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

·
1,993 Posts
A few members have solved that problem by replacing the battery or tracking down a bad ground. Is that 100% guaranteed to solve your problem no, but if people who been around and living with and fixing the XK say start with this you might just want to check it out. Keep in mind with the new testers that came out a lot of false positives have been reported. Both of you a driving older XK's and are both well beyond the service life for the original battery if you still have it so replacing the battery should be on your list of things to do anyway so its not a waste to just get one and hopefully it solves your issue as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Apologies

Hi Holaday07 4.7,

I really didn't mean to sound rude with my response. The battery terminals are clean and the connections are tight. I'll disconnect and reconnect the cables and see if this has any impact on the issue.

Thanks for your recommendation.

-KD

Hey I am not the only one that thinks it has to do with the battery or connection. So until you ruled out that I don't think you need to be rude about it. You asked for advice, and corrosion on a battery terminal fits the bill. Good luck with fixing your Jeep.

·
Registered
284 Posts
No worries, I guess its difficult to judge tone on here. It does tend to be a problem on these Jeeps though, and if it were mine I would check that before dropping any cash at the shop. Hope the reset works for you.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Two other sources to this problem were the wire to the outside temperature sensor and a wire to the headlight assembly on the driver's side, between the back of the lamp assembly and the battery. In both instances, both wires were rubbing, causing an intermittent short: ie, a momentary slight voltage drop which causes the ECU to go nuts. The other solution noted on the forum was a faulty ignition switch. There are numerous threads concerning this issue, if your battery does check fine. I listed two for you. Maybe you have seen these, but if not, have at it! There are also instances on the forum where one day a battery checks fine, and the next day completely dead. So, don't limit yourself to one area, but the battery is a good place to start.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14926&highlight=electronic

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14969&highlight=electronic

:eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well I disconnected the cables for about 15-20 minutes, out them back on and re-tightened everything. The CEL didn't come on right away, but I will update you as to whether or not it happens again.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Well I disconnected the cables for about 15-20 minutes, out them back on and re-tightened everything. The CEL didn't come on right away, but I will update you as to whether or not it happens again.
I didnt realize you had a check engine light coming on. Do you know how to retrieve the code using the ignition switch ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok - I disconnected my battery cables for about 30 minutes, reconnected them, started 'er up, switched on the lights and had the same issue as before. Any recommendations as to what I can try next?

Also - now the passenger airbag indicator is not detecting an empty passenger seat - anybody know why this might be??

·
Registered
55 Posts
I didnt realize you had a check engine light coming on. Do you know how to retrieve the code using the ignition switch ?
The light just turned on recently. Before it was usually the ESP or the traction control light. I do not know how to do the key dance, I'll have to check it again tomorrow to see if the light comes on at all and let you know.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts