Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First post, second Commander - love 'em.

What I need:

I am looking for a referral for reliable shop (I suspect for this it doesn't need to be a Jeep dealer, but could be) in Atlanta metro (or will travel further if need be) with people with experience pulling the dash and repairing the dual climate control system. This is apparently a big deal and would really like to know it will be done by someone who has done this before, preferably several times, before I commit up to $3k to having it done.

Background:

Got what seemed like a too-good-to-be-true price on a used 2008 Limited, so gambled and bought it. Had not read about all the issues with the split HVAC system, still might have bought it as we love our other Commander.

Anyway, the passenger side climate controls are basically inoperative and apparently fixing these is a big deal. After talking with a Jeep parts guy with decades of experience (won't name him, I like him) he said there used to be a shop in the region which did many of these repairs, but the guy retired, and his shop probably hasn't done more than one. Would they do it? Sure, but the subtext read "you might prefer to find someone who has done several of these."

The Commander split HVAC (and many other features) is apparently the same as in the Grand Cherokee, so experience with those might count.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Hi all,

First post, second Commander - love 'em.

What I need:

I am looking for a referral for reliable shop (I suspect for this it doesn't need to be a Jeep dealer, but could be) in Atlanta metro (or will travel further if need be) with people with experience pulling the dash and repairing the dual climate control system. This is apparently a big deal and would really like to know it will be done by someone who has done this before, preferably several times, before I commit up to $3k to having it done.

Background:

Got what seemed like a too-good-to-be-true price on a used 2008 Limited, so gambled and bought it. Had not read about all the issues with the split HVAC system, still might have bought it as we love our other Commander.

Anyway, the passenger side climate controls are basically inoperative and apparently fixing these is a big deal. After talking with a Jeep parts guy with decades of experience (won't name him, I like him) he said there used to be a shop in the region which did many of these repairs, but the guy retired, and his shop probably hasn't done more than one. Would they do it? Sure, but the subtext read "you might prefer to find someone who has done several of these."

The Commander split HVAC (and many other features) is apparently the same as in the Grand Cherokee, so experience with those might count.

Thanks in advance!
@breister;

Welcome to the forum; Here are some links to help you out if you want to do upgrades or repairs to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ukey_make=1064

Cheapest factory Parts: Find OEM BMW, Fiat, Ford, GM, Mopar, Nissan, Subaru & Toyota Parts & Accessories

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - http://www.justforjeeps.com/?gclid=C...9i0hoCSS7w_wcB

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - http://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjw...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/j...catalog%2Fjeep

Also, please read this if you haven't done so already - lots of good information in here;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

Thanks and again, welcome aboard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the links. I'm not looking to mod, and I did read the introductory section.

I just need a referral to a good shop experienced in pulling the dash and fixing the HVAC.

·
Registered
147 Posts
What do you mean by the HVAC is inop? There seems to a lot of commanders that have broken linkages between the servos and diverter flaps, which the dash does not need to come out for. $60 worth of parts. If that's it, $3k would be hard to swallow. There are a few threads here about changing those out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After inquiring at several shops, all agreed that the work to be done required removing the dash and thus the majority of cost would be labor. Given that fact and that historically the original dampers had a high failure rate I opted to replace the entire mixing unit.

Good news was the shop I finally found explained why many are reluctant to do dash work. Commanders which have spent a great deal of time in the sun develop cracks in the upper dash panel and can literally crumble. I did not have that issue, and the shop did the entire job for $1,600 vs the $2,500 quoted by the dealer (the $3,000 I originally mentioned included replacement of the parking system computer, which I hope to fix myself).

Bad news, the owner of the shop is retiring after 40 years and closing his doors, so it’s pointless to recommend him to others.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts