Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy,
I purchased my first car about a year ago, a used 2006 Jeep Commander. She's been a great car, handled the mountains and trails of north Georgia, so I'm looking to give her back some love. I've been doing a massive amount of research on what I should get, and I've settled on a Rocky Roads 2.25 Spacer lift with rear shocks. I've poured over this forum looking at all of y'alls builds and they look great but I'm likely gonna have to keep the 255/65r17 tires already on, but I'm looking at some 265/70r17s. I'm also looking at a grille guard. Trying to stay under 1.5-2k cause I'm a student not making a steady income yet. Is a 2.25 lift worth the money for the look? Or should I focus on just making other aspects of the exterior look good? Appreciate the tons of help y'alls posts have already helped me.

Tires: https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/trailfinder-all-terrain/p/32707
Grille Guard: ATU for 2006 2010 Jeep Commander Grill Brush Bumper Guard Bar Black | eBay
Lift: Jeep Commander Lift Kit: 2.25" Jeep Commander Lift Kit
Pics:

Reactions: autonoob

·
Registered
74 Posts
Do the lift. Makes a huge difference! Once you see it lifted, you ask yourself why Jeep didn't offer this look as standard. Also, I went with a 2" lift and have been able to fit 265 70 17 on mine for the last 3 years now with no problems (some others might have a different experience?).

So yeah, Grill Guard, Lift and Bigger Tires should easily = < 2000$. Well worth it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the advice, I've changed course and I'm going with Rough Country's 2", looks better cause it levels the car and I shouldn't need new rear shocks. It's also a lot cheaper without shocks so I'm gonna definitely pick up some 265/70r17s after my lift. Once I get the grille it should look like a beast.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That's the lift kit I have.
Post some pics after the lift and tires have been added.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do (y)

·
Administrator
6,240 Posts
Appreciate the advice, I've changed course and I'm going with Rough Country's 2", looks better cause it levels the car and I shouldn't need new rear shocks. It's also a lot cheaper without shocks so I'm gonna definitely pick up some 265/70r17s after my lift. Once I get the grille it should look like a beast.
@ThomasW; Welcome to the forum;

I know budget is always a factor, not to mention the planned use for your Commander is also important.

If you are only planning light off-roading & camping/hunting in your Commander, the 2 inch Rough Country lift will do just fine.

If you have something more serious planned for your Commander, you'd be better served getting a lift that includes new shocks & springs.

Also you may have some rubbing if you upgrade to 265/70's with the 2 inch RC Lift - depending on the backspacing & offset of the rims you plan on using with those tires. If you are using the stock rims, you will almost certainly have some rubbing on the inner wheel well at full turn.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ThomasW; Welcome to the forum;

I know budget is always a factor, not to mention the planned use for your Commander is also important.

If you are only planning light off-roading & camping/hunting in your Commander, the 2 inch Rough Country lift will do just fine.

If you have something more serious planned for your Commander, you'd be better served getting a lift that includes new shocks & springs.

Also you may have some rubbing if you upgrade to 265/70's with the 2 inch RC Lift - depending on the backspacing & offset of the rims you plan on using with those tires. If you are using the stock rims, you will almost certainly have some rubbing on the inner wheel well at full turn.
I definitely won't be doing anything too serious with it, would spacers stop the rubbing with the tires? I'll be running the stock rims still. I'm kinda hoping my 255/65s look good with the lift so I won't have to spend the extra money but we'll see what happens. Appreciate the feedback!

·
Administrator
6,240 Posts
I definitely won't be doing anything too serious with it, would spacers stop the rubbing with the tires? I'll be running the stock rims still. I'm kinda hoping my 255/65s look good with the lift so I won't have to spend the extra money but we'll see what happens. Appreciate the feedback!
Wheel spacers would help, yes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to the club. I went with H&R lifting springs front and rear with bilstien 5100's, 1.5" spacers with Rubicon wheel swap. All done for less than $2k
Looks sick, love the wheels, looking to get my lift done in a week or two.

·
Administrator
6,240 Posts
Welcome to the club. I went with H&R lifting springs front and rear with bilstien 5100's, 1.5" spacers with Rubicon wheel swap. All done for less than $2k
A lot of people opt for the Rubicon/Wrangler wheel swap; It's a nice cheap option, for those with a limited budget.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Looks sick, love the wheels, looking to get my lift done in a week or two.
A lot of people opt for the Rubicon/Wrangler wheel swap; It's a nice cheap option, for those with a limited budget.
And I think the way it turned out should be the way it was sold from the factory.

·
Administrator
6,240 Posts
And I think the way it turned out should be the way it was sold from the factory.
I agree; FCA definitely didn't do the Commander any justice, the way they rolled them out, off of the assembly line.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Lift kit really makes a difference on big cars like a jeep. It enables you to get to more places or the same places with less risk of sill and undercarriage damage, it also increases your takeoff and departure angles which is a plus.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I really like your setup. What tires / tire dimensions are you running.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you very much. I am currently running a 2557517.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Comdav, I keep coming back here and looking at your Jeep picture for inspiration. I found a full set of SpiderTrax 1.5" spacers on craigslist for $50, and picked them up this week. Now I need to find a set of wheels like yours. I have not found anything like them locally. Most are the round opening style and are 18". I love the style of wheels you have, and the fact they are 17". I like having more actual tire sidewall, and the 17" achieve that nicely. I hope you don't mind but I am going to try to copy the look you have achieved. It will take me a few months, as I am working on my other Commander right now, just trying to get it to pass inspection.

I'll stay in touch.

ThomasW, sorry about crashing your thread. Do you have any new updates for us?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sniperdoc, thank you that means a lot. I looked everyday on Craigslist and Facebook yard sale. Found the set of 5 with tpms for $400 and they have plenty of tread. They are off of a Rubicon. I'm working on getting a swing out bumper from jeep steel now. Please let me know if you have any other questions and have a great day.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts