Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.
I've owned a wrangler in the past but always loved the look of the commander.
Looking to get a used one.

I know very very little about these.

Is there anything specific I should be looking for when shopping for a used one?

How reliable are these cars? How expensive are they to keep up?

There is a 2006 locally with 141k miles I plan on checking out.
Anything specific to look for?

How many miles do these typically last when well maintained?

Thanks so much!
I appreciate any input.

·
Banned
105 Posts
Good thread. Only thing I'd add is check oil maintenance, sometime it's in car fax , but on the 2006 3.7 (4.7?) with the wide mouth oil filler there is a baffle insert that can be pulled out, this can show signs of extreme oil crud if they neglected regular oil changes or Blown head gasket. The other is to check fluid of the transmission, usually there is not a dipstick on these Jeeps.

Other than that it's overheating you need worry about, the 3.7, 4.7, 5.7 motor family is nothing related to the 4.0 & 2.5 engine that could take heaps of abuse and run forever.

Good motors but need their oil maintained religiously and temperature just so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Good thread. Only thing I'd add is check oil maintenance, sometime it's in car fax , but on the 2006 3.7 (4.7?) with the wide mouth oil filler there is a baffle insert that can be pulled out, this can show signs of extreme oil crud if they neglected regular oil changes or Blown head gasket. The other is to check fluid of the transmission, usually there is not a dipstick on these Jeeps.

Other than that it's overheating you need worry about, the 3.7, 4.7, 5.7 motor family is nothing related to the 4.0 & 2.5 engine that could take heaps of abuse and run forever.

Good motors but need their oil maintained religiously and temperature just so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only XKs without the dip stick for the transmission is the 3.7 6 cyc. my 4.7 has one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts