Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've come over here from Jeepsunlimited. I have a 2000 xj that finally cracked its cylinder head, so I've decided to retire my xj and look for a commander. I've had some experience with the 5.7 hemi in my '03 dodge 2500 that I sold a few years back and I absolutely loved it. I've got about $18k to spend at most and have found two vehicles locally. They are as follows:

• 2006 Commander Limited w 5.7 hemi and 40k miles. 2nd owner, first owner was a the owner of a local dealership. Was sold to the second owner at 12k miles (about a year after it was put in service) went into service around June 2006. Its loaded with saddle leather, nav, dvd, etc. The guy is trying to sell it privately and is asking $17,999 or best offer. I'd consider offering $17k no more
  • 2007 Commander Limited w 4.7 with 25k miles, 1 owner grey leather, CD player, no nav. Its a small used car dealer about 13 miles away and they are asking $18,995 for it. I'd consider offering $18k no more.
What do you guys think? It would be nice to have something under warrenty, and I don't care about having the navigation or DVD (I have a Garmin) but I loved having the extra power that the Hemi gave. That aside is there much difference on gas? We don't drive much, about 12k a year, but we head up north to the mountains every weekend during the winter to snowboard, so if there is a big difference in gas mileage it might make a difference. What do you guys think on pricing too?

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
The 06' with 40k, I wouldn't pay more than $15,500 for it. The 07 with 25k is worth more like $15,500 to $16,500. Of course I'm in Ohio and I don't know what state you are in. Prices differ from state to state. Maybe that is just the former used car dealer in me though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in Boston, MA. I'd expect my prices to be a bit higher. Pricing aside whats your thoughts of the 4.7 vs. the 5.7.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I can't recall that anyone has the 5.7 has ever regretted having the bigger engine. And, MOST of the 4.7s don't have any complaints either. I'd go with the 06 with 5.7.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
If you are going to do anything other than regular on pavement driving consider the 5.7

The 5.7 will be very useful if you pull any kind of a trailer and the added power off road is important.

Check on the Transfer case QD or QT, that is important as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No plans on towing anything in the near future, other than a ski boat from time to time but that may never happen. No real off-road use either, I still have my 2000xj for that.

Whats your thought of being in warranty vs. out of warranty? If I'm not mistaken the 06 would be out of warranty while the 07 would still be in warranty. Sorry I'm not as well read up as I should be on this.

·
Registered
58 Posts
5.7 , i have the 4.7 and its fine, but still sucks on gas, so go for the 5.7 definately

·
Registered
282 Posts
make sure all the tsb's and recalls are taken care or. Weatherstriping on front doors, service 4wd message, pwr window regulators,etc.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
06-08, go with the 5.7 if you want more power. I have the 4.7 and its adequate, but wish I'd gone with the 5.7 for mountain power, esp since mine's lifted with bigger tires.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
My tires weigh 51 lbs a piece and I have no problems with the 4.7 Liter powering them.

In the end I guess it all depends on what you plan on doing with the Commander.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Recommend you getting the extended warranty, so it wouldn't matter if you get the 06 5.7L.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just my 2 cents worth of opinion, HEMI! I love mine.

17.5 mpg, all the power you will need to move the Commander and anything you want to pull.

The transfer case with locking axles is tops for off-road use and the HEMI shines on low end torque. Just pull a boat trailer when loading from those angled boat ramps or hook a hay wagon to move across the field.....HEMI!

HEMI & JEEP! What else is there????

·
Registered
488 Posts
not being stateside can't help on the costings, i have a CRD and its quick and got lots of grunt, but the was just awesome in the acceleration and top end.

if the runway had been longer it may well have taken off.

as Highlander said " there can be only one " :D

·
Registered
329 Posts
I considered both. But South Florida is flat and I really didn't intend to do any off roading or towing, so the 4.7 was perfect for me. Gas mileage isn't terrible, but better than the hemi would have been. With condition being the same in both, I would go for the lower mileage vehicle. That's like getting an extra year out of the vehicle.

I lived in Boston up till 1989. The Jeep is a wise choice for that region. Which ever you choose you can't go wrong. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks guys. After a long talk with my fiance and a hard look at our financials, we've decided to hold off on buying a commander. Instead we're going to put a new head cylinder on the xj, slap on a 3" OME lift, and add a few new upgrades.

I appreciate the input from you guys, it will certainly come helpful when we do go to purchase a commander after my fiance passes the bar exam and hopefully gets a job.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
The 5.7 Liter is only rated to pull 1000 lbs more then the 4.7 Liter. So dont rule out the 4.7 Liter if you plan on towing. I have had no problem pulling large trailers and u-hauls and i'm lifted with bigger tires.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I test drove all three motor variations before going with the hemi. My girlfriend and I were looking for a car that she would be primarily driving.

Different dealers gave me different commanders to borrow for overnight test drives.

I at first wanted the V6. Again, she was the primary driver, so my only concern was low price and low gas mileage. That motor is ok powerwise, it just didn't want to get out of its way on the highway.

Next we took a loaded hemi commander, with 90k miles. I tell ya i was hooked. You breath on the gas and it hauled ass. The gas mileage was eh, but not really that much worse than the v6. And it has the qd2 and all the jazz. Nice vehicle.

Just for comparison, I then took a 4.7l. The 230hp version. It didn't excite me, thats for sure. And it was actually noiser engine wise then the hemi.

So, in the end, we found a hemi with 65k on it. I would have bought the one with 90k on it, but she couldn't get over the mileage.

You want to be able to enjoy the vehicle, and have no regrets. I love that hemi.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Good plan, and good luck to her on passing the bar. You can buy a new toy when she's employed and you're both out of debt, then the truck will truly feel like a well earned gift.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts