Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking, but can only find complete sunroof seal sets. I need the driver side according side seal. But would replace both if I had to buy it in a set. What is the name and part number and where to buy. 06 limited, Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
15,875 Posts
@Creek Let me know if you find them. I need both sides.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Mine are shot too, never bothered looking for replacements, but thought many times about making something better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Been looking, but can only find complete sunroof seal sets. I need the driver side according side seal. But would replace both if I had to buy it in a set. What is the name and part number and where to buy. 06 limited, Thanks in advance.
@Creek- I need both sides, too. I've looked on ROCKAUTO and everywhere else. Where did you find the set?

·
Registered
252 Posts
@Creek- I need both sides, too. I've looked on ROCKAUTO and everywhere else. Where did you find the set?
The parts for the sunroof are referred to as mechanism covers Mopar part number 5174220AA. I order most of my parts from moparsuppy and I have zero affiliation with them. They just have good prices and ship fast. They told me they are still available and I purchased a pair earlier even though mine were in good shape. They run around $15 - $16 for both. Hope that helps

·
Administrator
15,875 Posts
The parts for the sunroof are referred to as mechanism covers Mopar part number 5174220AA. I order most of my parts from moparsuppy and I have zero affiliation with them. They just have good prices and ship fast. They told me they are still available and I purchased a pair earlier even though mine were in good shape. They run around $15 - $16 for both. Hope that helps
@Commander Ron Thanks! I just ordered them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Best help ever! Thank you!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited by Moderator)
I spent two days with another supplier only to find they were out of stock. Thanks for the Info. They have been ordered. Mopar Supply will probably see a run on this part.

·
Registered
58 Posts
A couple of years after I bought my XK I had to replace the sun roof as the bolts and other parts holding it in place had rusted and all but disintegrated. Long before that happened though, I noticed that this part you guys are talking about, the "sun roof mechanism cover," had long since broken apart for being dried up and crusty. It had flaked into thousands of pieces by the time the sun roof went south, so I just removed it entirely and never bothered with replacing it. Is this thing really necessary? I could never really figure out what in the world its purpose is, unless maybe to keep water from getting on some parts below it? The plastic felt so thin I was surprised it was ever even used, seems only destined to fail.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I pulled them out years ago after one side started to fail. Haven't missed them at all since.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I received my seals today. So when looking at the drivers side, the seal was in small pieces. The passenger side seal is only attached on the inside rail, but looking at the new seal it looks as if it should be attached to the inner and outer rail. can someone look and see which is correct.

·
Administrator
15,875 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here is a take-apart/install guide for these things.

What do they actually do?

Are they actually needed?

Will they dry up and flake out like your last one did?

Who knows? Who cares? 😝

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I received my seals today. So when looking at the drivers side, the seal was in small pieces. The passenger side seal is only attached on the inside rail, but looking at the new seal it looks as if it should be attached to the inner and outer rail. can someone look and see which is correct.
I received mine today! FedEx had to call for my street address. Lol duh!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts