Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was doing a search for tires and found this website http://www.treadwright.com. Has any one tried any of there tires out. One of my buddies as a set of retreads on his 4runner and as had no problems. Just curious on what your guys thoughts on usiing retreads, for the price looks like it might be a good option for some people.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
They might be fine. It would be good to hear anyone with recent experience with retreads. But... there's always a but it seems...

I tried re-treads on an F250 truck about 20 years ago. Technology may have improved but I won't do retreads on a personal vehicle again. I couldn't get them to balance. I thought I was saving money and doing the right environmental thing. Never again for me.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've never heard of any of the tire brands that I saw on that site. That right there would be my reason for not buying them. Unless this is an international website.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most of the shells this company uses are normal tire brands. BFG, Goodyear, firestone etc... They just put there brand of thread on them, from off road to road only tires.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I've never heard of any of the tire brands that I saw on that site. That right there would be my reason for not buying them. Unless this is an international website.
They are retread tires. Your not going to recognize any of the brands. Like stated above, they use normal tires and put their own tread on them that look almost identical to current tires on the market.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Oh interesting. Then I'd want some independent testing done on them like the large companies have. You'd have no idea if you're buying an awesome performing tire or a cool looking crappy tire.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Oh interesting. Then I'd want some independent testing done on them like the large companies have. You'd have no idea if you're buying an awesome performing tire or a cool looking crappy tire.
I guess you get what you pay for. Just like any tire.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
I would want walnut shell bits and ground glass flying out of my tires and blasting the paint off my fenders and rear bumper and pitting the heck out of my fender liners.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Another forum member had tires from them on his commander. I think his screen name was intothewild. I don't remember him posting anything about how they were holding up for him though.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I don't know if I would want to use re-treaded tires on a passenger vehicle. Most re-tread applications are used on farm tractors and semi's. Going down the highway you usually have a whole bunch of treads that have peeled off the actual unit from the semi's. (just my opinion of course)

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My thoughts too.. Just was thinking be a cheap set of off road only tires. Since you really wont be heating the tires up like freeway driving to weakin the glue on the retread cap. I don't know have to give it some thought, i geuss!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sturg...you shouldn't have any problems with the re-treads from treadwright. I manage a repo company in DFW area, and I use their tires on my trucks. We run an 01 GMC dually, 2 Mitsubishi cabovers, an 09 Chevy dually and an 01 F350 single rear wheel. We run about 30k miles/month on each truck. I'd say barring any sidewall punctures from road hazards, we replace them after about 2-2 1/2 months. We have NEVER had a blowout or tread separation. I was going to use them to replace my tires, but they didnt have the size I wanted in the tread pattern I liked. If you can find some you like, they will be cheaper and last just as long (if not longer) than normal tires.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just received my new tires from treadwright today. The tires that they put the new tread on was a set of BFG Mud Terrain tires. The tread pattern is just like the BFG AT tires. The tires come with a 2 year/24k warranty on the retreading process. I figured that the price of $96 over the $200+ for the BFG tires I figured that it is worth the effort. I also got mine with the KEDGE GRIP process. This is the process of putting the walnut shell and glass into the rubber. I will keep everyone posted on how the old up, also will post some pictures after I get them on.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don't know if I would want to use re-treaded tires on a passenger vehicle. Most re-tread applications are used on farm tractors and semi's. Going down the highway you usually have a whole bunch of treads that have peeled off the actual unit from the semi's. (just my opinion of course)

Non retread tires will tear up and blow out just like a semi tire. That all comes from not keeping the right air pressure in the tires and improper air pressure while towing. I have had a tire on my pickup do the exact same thing as a semi tire and I was running a set of BFG Long Trail T/A tires.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hemi please updated as soon as you can.. Was also considering the getting mine with the Kedge Grip too. I have never heard of any people around here having problems with Wrighttread tires like i mentioned before one of my buddies has had a set of there tires for over three years, and has rack up over 40k on them with no problems.. Thanks for the input guys!!

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
I did order the 265/70/17's but they called me and said that they didn't have a carcas that size and offered me the 255/75/17. THe guy told me that they were the same size as the 265's and that they went into the same mold. So I said sure. My service guy at the dealership said they would fit. I am going today to get them put on.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
I thought some states had laws against retread tires on passenger cars.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Don't know about that...but the only way to tell that these are retread tires is to get a good close look at them. You can not tell it from a distance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Hemi any updates on the retreads? Do you have any pictures of the tires? I am about to order some as well and they don't have the 265 70 17s available in what I want but said the same thing about having 255 75 17s and that the tread width is the same. Please let me know asap your opinion on them, how they compare to 265s (if you've had any experience with them) and if you have any pictures. Thanks a ton in advance!

Cheers

1 - 20 of 33 Posts