Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I can't! For the life of me. I could swear that some number of YEARS ago my wife did this at some point when it was her daily driver. Maybe only one seat, I don't remember which. And I do remember reading here that the middle seat does not in fact tumble, only fold. But neither my wife nor I can manage to get either the driver or passenger side to tumble now. It would have helped if I'd actually seen her DO it before, I only saw it with the seat already tumbled. But now I need to get inside the middle seat in order to fix the seat belt and that means tumbling the side seats in the second row.

I've googled everywhere and searched this forum and even found a thread that has a full takeapart of the second row, but I don't need to go that far if I'm just looking to tumble the damn thing. I really need somebody to explain it to me like I am four how to do it I guess. Pressing down on the hing of the seat when it is folded is the advice I keep reading, but this keeps me from lifting the seat forward to tumble it, not to mention pulling the lever upwards more. This is driving me insane.

·
Administrator
16,153 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, I found a better post on this forum, here --> Middle row seat does not tumble

This post has a detailed service instructional PDF that shows how to loosen bolts that affect the tension of the springs that... hold the clamps? I guess.

I also found this youtube video -->

It's a fairly clumsy video done entirely by one person, holding his cellphone as a camera and loosening the bolts, but it clearly demonstrates how this should be done.

After doing this procedure, my problem seems to be a fair bit worse. You're not supposed to remove the bolts, only loosen them. I imagine it's likely because you'll have a hell of a time getting them back on again if you remove them completely, but the bulletin mentions that you should see the tabs move their position at some point. Mine don't. They haven't budged at all. In fact, one of the two springs on the passenger side seems to move around on the pin that it is wound around loosely, but much of the material I'm working with is rusted from years of disuse, and if anybody's followed me here, I had some severe leaking going on for at least two or three years that no doubt played a part here.

I got a fresh new can of WD-40 and I've completely bathed every exposed piece of metal involved in this mechanism that I can see, the springs, the pin they are wound around, the bolts, just about the whole underside of the seat mechanism that I can aim at, and the parts in the hinge at both the right and left sides of the seats that I have pulled away some of the upholstery and fasteners for a butchers. A lot of it was rusted, but it still does nothing but fold over. The passenger seat just almost comes away, but the back of the seat when folded is only moving upwards at most maybe a half of an inch while I am pulling at the lever. The driver side seat is more stubborn and just plain doesn't budge. And bear in mind I have practically showered the mechanisms that I can expose and see with WD-40 at this point.

I'm about to give up and bite the bullet with a trip to the dealership unless someone can throw me a bone here. Is there some secret handshake that I could be missing to get these seats to tumble?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a latch on the side of each seat that pulls upward. This folds the seat. If you then pull it again from a folded position the seat tumbles. It just seems to rust itself shut or get stuck in the latched position from years of disuse. The strap on the back of the seat serves the same purpose as the latch on the side. I've tried using both the latch and the strap, it makes no difference. Watch the video above to see how it's supposed to work.

I dread the repair bill an authorized dealer will charge but I'm going to have to take one for the team if I can't get this thing free on my own.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,291 Posts
For one thing WD40 is just really thin oil, You need a penetrating oil like PB Blaster. And let it soak for overnight or longer. I know it doesn't smell good but it works 100% better than WD40.

Reactions: Stircrayzy

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Super Moderator
1,291 Posts
Tumble -Passenger side- Haven't used it in about 10 years. Just went out in the garage and it worked very easily and no problem. Tried the drivers side, which I don't think I ever used, and also no problem. Now I need to get out the vacuum - lots of junk under them:rolleyes:. XK has always been garage kept.

·
Super Moderator
1,291 Posts
You might also try this. With the seat back folded down - push down on the rear of the seat to relieve the pressure on the latches (yes there are two of them) then try to unlatch with the lever. Would it help if I did a video of the operation?

·
Super Moderator
1,291 Posts
Took a couple pictures of the passenger side in the tumbled position to show latches. Hope it might help.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With the seat back folded down - push down on the rear of the seat to relieve the pressure on the latches (yes there are two of them) then try to unlatch with the lever. Would it help if I did a video of the operation?
It would actually. I can't wrap my head around how I'm supposed to press down on the very end of the seat that I'm trying to pull up. I get the concept but I really don't understand how to implement it. Unless of course I am implementing it and have something broken, something I'm starting to think likely.

·
Super Moderator
1,291 Posts
Made a crude video, my camera battery died and my son had problems with his that we used.
Shows the tumble action which you can see it just pulling up on the lever 2 times. I don't need to pull the seat to the front, it just flips on its own. Can you feel when you pull the lever that it has some resistance like it is pulling on the latch mechanism? That is why I said to push down on the rear of the seat when the first pull has the back of the seat folded down. May relieve the latches a little so the second pull will work to tumble. The second pull you can see the lever goes up more than the first pull. Might hold it up all the way and then put downward pressure on the rear of the folded down seat - you might also try to wiggle it up and down there. If and when you get it tumbled - grease and oil the heck out of it. I have never greased or oiled mine.

Video -

Reactions: jeep5253

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yeah, this is just not happening for me. Just about every metal surface not painted has some rust on it, I can only imagine parts I can't see must be rusted as well. I'll pick up some of that pb blaster stuff and give it a shot but I'm not too hopeful it'll spare this one from a dealership service.

·
Super Moderator
1,291 Posts
Getting some PB in where it needs to be, the latches, could be a real challenge. Is there a Zoo near you where you could borrow a gorilla?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well this sucks and it sucks hard.

I finally got around to taking the XK to the dealership here because with a family of 7, I need all seat belts in good working order and the center seat belt has not been extending, it's good and stuck. I looked around, searched here and found several service documents that tell you the first step to fixing the center second row seat belt is to tumble the seat next to it, which I cannot do, so I figured it was time to fix 2 for 1 and took it in. After being without my XK for the weekend they tell me that I need a new center seat belt, and for the tumbling seats, I need a new track and latches, and also new release cables for each tumbling seat.

And they don't have any of these parts and tell me they cannot get them from the mopar manufacturer either. Time to start looking at pick-aparts I guess...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay so, I've sourced a whole 'nother second seat row. It wasn't exactly inexpensive but it was in great condition, everything works, seat belt and tumble all together. Had a hell of a time finding the parts that the dealership mentioned, so an entire seat row with working tracks, levers and seat belt seems like it knocks out all the issues with one wallop. How many bolts hold the second row seats down? I can only see three on each passenger side--one on each side is going to be a bear to get to because I cannot tumble the seat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts