Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 230,000 miles on my 06 Sport. Head gasket is shot and mechanic says I’d be crazy to not replace engine. Anyone know where to find a low mileage motor and would you do that? I still love it and don’t want to have to buy something else. Just replaced door handles, tires, radiator and water pump.

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
I have 230,000 miles on my 06 Sport. Head gasket is shot and mechanic says I’d be crazy to not replace engine. Anyone know where to find a low mileage motor and would you do that? I still love it and don’t want to have to buy something else. Just replaced door handles, tires, radiator and water pump.
I think it's worth it....if you want to keep your Commander and you're truly happy with it - why wouldn't you do it??

·
Registered
176 Posts
Also try car-part.com. I found an engine on that site for my Jeep Liberty that only had 9000 miles on it and I put almost 100,000 miles on that one by the time I sold the truck. Dang thing ran great.

If you and your mechanic are willing to swap some components from your engine to the donor be sure to look for ANY Chrysler vehicle with a 4.7. The long blocks are all the same but the intake and exhaust manifolds, oil pan and some other exterior accessories may be different but those are easy to swap around. You can often save a lot of money by grabbing an engine from a vehicle other than a Jeep; the donor for my Liberty was a Dodge Dakota. Had to swap some things around but saved almost $1000 over a Liberty-specific engine.

Bob

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Motor installed is going to cost $2,700. Not sure I'm going to bite the bullet. Looked at a 2012 Grand Cherokee today. Any thoughts on those?

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
Motor installed is going to cost $2,700. Not sure I'm going to bite the bullet. Looked at a 2012 Grand Cherokee today. Any thoughts on those?
You'd be foolish not to do it in my opinion - That's a pretty reasonable price and you'd have a fresh new/rebuilt engine.

Why wouldn't you do it - as opposed to dumping $25,000 on a newer vehicle that you have no experience with?

At least with your XK, you know exactly what you're dealing with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts