Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need some other opinions. My wife and I went to test drive 2 Commanders today and we like both very much, but there are some things we didnt.

Vehicle #1:
4.7L
QTII
Tires in good shape
Paint in good shape
25700 miles
lease turn in
Idiot owner screwed front licence plate holder in bumper, so now if I remove it I will be left with holes in the bumper:(
Interior needs a little cleaning, you can tell they had youg kids...
No fog lights
No trailer tow package

Vehicle #2:
4.7L
QTII
Tires in Fair shape
Front bumper had large scratch on passenger corner
25900 miles
Fog lights
Trailer tow package
Was a rental car turn in...:(
Interior very clean

The price difference between them is $500 and for that I could put in fog lights, and a hitch.

Basically I'm worried about getting one that was a rental at one time and I'm sure was probably beat on even though they are under warranty. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I'd take the leaser - and then I'd get a 4.7 bumper and not worry about the scratches or holes! =)

·
Registered
887 Posts
Is there anyone here who does not beat on a rental????? I would definitely opt for #1! Funny you did not mention the age of these. 2006?

·
Registered
282 Posts
just hope its not the same one i had as a rental. it got a flogging

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
#1. You could always get a jeep or commander plate and put it up front vice removing the bracket.

·
Registered
148 Posts
remember since you are the real 1st owner to get the lifetime warranty....but go for a 5.7!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They are both 2006 and yes both have warranties left. #1 is what i was leaning towards, so thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You should bargain with the dealer and see if they're swap out the bumpers for you to get the sale. Basically ask them for the fog lights and tow package and see what happens. If they're like most dealers right now, they're looking to move inventory and 1000 bux of work probably wouldn't break their bank to get the sale.

If they don't budge and you want those features, I'm pretty sure you can probably find another commander out there that has fog lights, towing for a pretty reasonable price.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My Commander was a rental with 19kms and it's the best vehicle I've ever owned. This thing was/is in MINT shape, with NO problems. I would buy a rental again as long as it was clean - and who cares - it's under warranty!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just bought an ex-rental from CarMax, a 2007 with 9700 miles.. It's been good so far, a couple of small problems that are being taken care of under factory warranty.. (Bad liftgate gas cylinders and the drivers window express up function doesn't work properly - module on order).
If the rental is clean and low miles, I don't think it's any more of a risk that any other used car.
One other thought, even though some people may beat on a rental, there are probably just as many or more that drive them like they do their own car. Plus, the big rental companies maintain the cars on schedule..
A privately owned car could be beaten by that single owner the entire time, plus not maintained at all... If the interior is dirty and a little shabby, the inside of that engine could be the same way.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I'd feel more comfortable with #1, the lease vehicle, also. My Commander came with the front tag bracket installed (and I don't need it here in Georgia). When I removed it I put black hex set screw in the holes. Hardly noticeable on the Dark Khaki. If you have a lighter color you might put in stainless hex screws.

---

On the other hand, I personally don't drive rental vehicles any differently than my own. I'm not convinced that people abuse them just because it's a rental car.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
What engines are in the trucks? Usually rentals come with the V6.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
rwmorrisonjr said:
If you look in his first post it says 4.7L which is the V8.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
curleycommander said:
remember since you are the real 1st owner to get the lifetime warranty....but go for a 5.7!!
Not to thread-jack, but it IS possible to get a Lifetime Warranty without being the first owner. My dealership here did it, no problem. Not just on the powertrain either - full Max coverage for life. And its is a Chrysler warranty - no third party crap. So, it CAN be done. Why other dealerships don't do it, I don't know - they all say they can't. But the Lithia Dodge in Missoula, MT did.

·
Registered
209 Posts
rwmorrisonjr said:
4.7 V8 in my former rental. In Canada, there's really no point in a V6 SUV that's full sized.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
They sound so similar I would go to the next level of questions, Do you plan to tow anything? Do you need fog lights where you live? sounds like they both ahve issues with the front bumper, all other comparisons were similar. #1 might have been leased by someone who knew they were getting rid of it so he drove it harder than a rental, you never know.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts