Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Just trying to find out what someone would recommend for step bars and grille guards
What you thinking of doing with it? If any off reading, I would get a full steel bumper...which would only be a few hundred more than that. I’m saving money up for many own bumpers...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just trying to find out what someone would recommend for step bars and grille guards
This is the Grille Guard I use to have and the only one I've ever seen on Commanders;

https://www.carid.com/2008-jeep-commander-grill-guards/black-horse- grille-guard-245917633.html

I have no complaints about it for the time I had it.
almost went and got same one but guy left 50 bucks 😎 or very close to it

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
That looks like it's made for a 4-runner. I can tell you just by looking at it, you'll have a very hard time getting that to fit PROPERLY on a Commander.

Save yourself the headaches and buy the brush guard that's made for the Commander by Black Horse. The one in the link I posted earlier from CarID is very over-priced at 472.50 - that's more than double what you should have to pay for it; You should be able to find that exact brush guard from Black Horse new, for $200.00 - $225.00 which is about what I paid for mine a few years ago - you may even be able to find them cheaper now, as there likely has been even less of a demand for them over the last couple of years.

I'd check on e-bay and amazon - I think I actually bought mine off of amazon if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That looks like it's made for a 4-runner. I can tell you just by looking at it, you'll have a very hard time getting that to fit PROPERLY on a Commander.

Save yourself the headaches and buy the
brush guard that's made for the Commander by Black Horse. The one in the link I posted earlier from CarID is very over-priced at 472.50 - that's more than double what you should have to pay for it; You should be able to find that exact brush guard from Black Horse new, for $200.00 - $225.00 which is about what I paid for mine a few years ago - you may even be able to find them cheaper now, as there likely has been even less of a demand for them over the last couple of years.

I'd check on e-bay and amazon - I think I actually bought mine off of amazon if I remember correctly.
Erik knows how to weld and build also very mechanically inclined .... helps out...

and while we are on topic an FCC it relates have u ever noticed the ford steel bumpers are very close to commanders my buddy got one and came over he was parked next to me trying to show off!!!
But I noticed how close it was needless to say I found one that is freaking awesome and going to get it we shall see could be a game changer!!!!

But I drive back to nc tomorrow so it will have to wait on the return

Btw you nailed 4 runner

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Erik knows how to weld and build also very mechanically inclined .... helps out...

and while we are on topic an FCC it relates have u ever noticed the ford steel bumpers are very close to commanders my buddy got one and came over he was parked next to me trying to show off!!!
But I noticed how close it was needless to say I found one that is freaking awesome
and going to get it we shall see could be a game changer!!!!

But I drive back to nc tomorrow so it will have to wait on the return

Btw you nailed 4 runner
You know there are 2 companies that actually make custom steel bumpers for Commanders right?

WAM is one & JeepSteel is the 2nd one.

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

Jeepsteel - https://www.jeepsteel.com/

It's better to get something that is actually made for your Commander - instead of something that is just "close".

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can I can I am going to be in nc and very busy but my buddy knows texas ca do it for sure till i get back if needed I'll be here till August or September and he is way better than me

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yeah, the bumpers have been a real source of contention for me...mainly due to finances. WAM and Jeepster make awesome bumpers, but they're expensive. You can find DIY welding ones from Move and other companies out there but they won't use the same metal thickness...which, for me, the steel bumpers would be about protection on the trails so the cheaper versions make not do the trick.

I've also come across a few XK's that have modified other Jeep steel bumpers to fit theirs, I'll try and get some photos up of them.

Needless to say, if you're not going to be doing any off-roading or camping trips, a simple guard or cheap bumper, should be just fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What you thinking of doing with it? If any off reading, I would get a full steel bumper...which would only be a few hundred more than that. I’m saving money up for many own bumpers...

There she is 75.00 they said it was for a police car lol

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
There she is 75.00 they said it was for a police car lol
Did you end up buying the guard in the attached photo? If so, is there a chance you could measure between the vertical plates. I am thinking about scavenging the light guards off of one of these and modifying my 4Xguard matrix. Wanting to know if the alignment with the headlights would workout.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts