Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
It's a shame, but it's the trend these days.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
here the quote of the day from the article

"The segment the Grand Cherokee competes in has seen some of the most decline (because of the) high gas prices," said Global Insight analyst Rebecca Lindland. "This new product will allow the consumer to keep all attributes of the Jeep Grand Cherokee. They won't be able to navigate the Rubicon trail but they will get to the grocery store on less fuel."

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
That might make our Commanders more desired!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
It would be great if they did keep the Commander as the off road vehicle, and did that crossover crap to the GC.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
After reading the article it makes me feel like they are going to try to eliminate anything that falls into the V8 catigory. Meaning that the XK will probably see the choping block soon. The GC is probably being kept because it will be relativly easy to change the body style to be more of a car or stationwagon. I think if they were smart they wouldn't try to follow every other automaker and just stick to doing what they do best, building offroad vehicles. The reason that there are not patriots and compasses all over the road is because people don't buy a jeep to get a car. People buy jeeps to use them like jeeps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I could be wrong but aren't the Commanders made at the same plant? My build sheet says it was built in Jefferson North, so if thats the case i don't see the Commander living on past the plant re-tool. From the sound of it they are basicly planning on making something along the lines of the Compass or Patriot, only bigger. Possibly even based in the Pacifica, since those are larger and are offered with all wheel drive. They DO have the 4 door Wrangler now that they might consider as thier "off-road vehicle". Get it with a hard top and the 4 doors and it is essentually an SUV. Hopefully i'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I might agree with you if the commander wasn't a unibody. Since the drivetrain is about the only thing similar with the GC I would imagine they are probably built in different parts of the plant and the GC section is the only one being changed. Although you may be correct if they decide to cut out the XK part of the plant entirely for the new GC. Hopefully if they do cut the commander out so quickly the aftermarket will still have some parts for us, if not 4.7 will have to really get to work making us some more goodies.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
If they're doing that to the GC, then I really think the Commander would still get the axe. Wishful thinking that that doesn't happen, but... like I said, we'll see.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My interpretation is that the WK gets chopped, and the XK stays.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Well actually,as I've nosed around different forums, it seems as though the only Jeeps that have a strong off-road following are Wranglers and Commanders.

Seems, altho some Grand Cherokees are modded and used off road, expressed as a percentage sold to percentage modified I believe the Commander far exceeds the G.C.

Anybody else pick up on this or am I just biased?

Rob

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I have noticed that trend as well, however it seems that there has been a huge push from jeep for the wrangler and not much else. I see wrangler commercials all the time, occasionally a liberty ad, and in the past 6 months 1 commander commercial. Despite that I would love to see the XK become the Jeep flagship I don't have much hope. I think that I read somewhere that the chrysler/jeep/dodge SUV line was going to be seriously cut down.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
LOL, If you saw 1 ad it's one more than I saw.

Seems like manufacturers [all of them] come up with slick products and then forget to tell the world about it. Then they can't figure out why it doesn't sell.

Regardless, every manufacturer is realizing that people tow things/have families/go camping etc.

They know these type vehicles will always sell, regardless of fuel prices. We'll be using them differently, but we'll always need them and the market will remain.

Admittedly the Status Symbol Operator is going to be weeded out. Heck,it's already happening.

When the day finally comes that we realize we can drive a tiny s-box for 2000.00 a year in fuel cost, but can operate a real vehicle for 3000.00 a year we'll calm back down about fuel prices.

Our lifestyle costs a bit more for fuel. It cost more to aquire the vehicle as well.

I don't think anybody purchassed these vehicles with fuel economy being our primary consideration. Sure we all want 30 M.P.G. but we knew inside that wasn't going to happen.

Most likely, we will change the way we use these vehicles. Probably we already have another car that is more sacrificial, so, we'll use it, rather than the Jeep to go run errands.

Anyways, if Jeep wants to turn the G.C. into a crossover, sounds to me like the Commander becomes the only full size game Jeeps got.

Might be a stay of execution due to attricion [S.P.]

We'll see. Rob

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Instead of focusing on a smaller car-based SUV as as replacement, they should work on maximizing the efficiency of their current V8 engines and possibly finding ways to lighten up the GC while still maintaining true SUV platform.

I'm not trying to stir pot here, but look at the 4Runner. Same size as a Commander/GC, but the V6 engine is more fuel efficient AND more powerful than the available V6 in the Jeep SUVs. In fact, from a performance standpoint, the 4Runner V6 is actually ahead of the Jeep 4.7L V8. If Toyota can get decent fuel economy and power out of their engines, there's no reason Jeep can't do the same. If Jeep turns the GC into a larger version of the Patriot, that will truly be a shame.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
i agree.

jeep needs to keep a 7 seater and build it to be more fuel efficient.

they could really lighten these up in the seats and electronics departments.

the toyota and nissan 4.0: V6's are very powerful for their size. but then again they compete head to head in the pickup market.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts