Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I've been looking for new wheels for quite a while now. I recently found a set of 22" rims for sale. The only thing is that I do not know if they will fit on my stock-height Jeep. The tire size is 305/40/ZR22 (114W). Does anyone know if there be any rubbing issues? Also, the rims are GFG Fallujah II and they seem to be brushed aluminum rims with a chrome lip. I know many people take expensive rims like these off for the winter, but I was wondering if you guys think it would be ok to leave them on year round? I would be sure to clean them several times a week, but I don't know if the snow/salt combination will eventually ruin them. If they were completely chrome I would definitely take them off, but the fact that the lip is the only chrome piece tempts me to leave them on. These brand new are a few thousand dollars, but I would be getting them for under $1000 with tires. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

P.S. Here is a generic pic of the wheels so you can get idea of what they look like.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I actually found out that these would not work on the jeep with the bolt pattern they had. Too bad. So I am still looking for new rims/tires. Any suggested combos? The only criteria I have is that the rims must be at least 20" in diameter, no less. I would also prefer if they fit with the jeep at stock height (but would be willing to hear options for a lifted jeep). I have also decided that any combo I get will stay on the truck year round, so I would prefer some durable rims (no delicate donk rims with rubber-band tires). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
542 Posts
A 2.25" lift will run you around $200 or less and will give you more clearance. If you are going to run 20" rims with non-rubberband tires, then you will need more clearance.

PS: That 13" Rubber Antenna in your sig..................Do you still recieve good pick up from it or do you lose some signal?

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Well, I actually found out that these would not work on the jeep with the bolt pattern they had. Too bad. So I am still looking for new rims/tires. Any suggested combos? The only criteria I have is that the rims must be at least 20" in diameter, no less. I would also prefer if they fit with the jeep at stock height (but would be willing to hear options for a lifted jeep). I have also decided that any combo I get will stay on the truck year round, so I would prefer some durable rims (no delicate donk rims with rubber-band tires). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Consider the 20" rims that are stock on a SRT8 Cherokee.
They are clearcoated the same as any other factory wheel, they will be direct fit, and work fine if you use the SRT8 front tire size an all four wheels.

Minimum brain damage.

Rob

·
Banned
277 Posts
I agree with Robby, the SRT8 rims would look pretty good. Check out these examples:

FYI - not my XK. Found these pics online at jeepcommander.blogspot.com through a google search.

·
Registered
343 Posts
22's on a stock commander with thicker sidewall would be difficult. I have 22" with 265/35/r22 and that's about as big as I felt I could go. Everyone told me how bad of a ride it would be and bla bla bla, but I proved them all wrong. It rides just like stock.

·
Registered
809 Posts
The SRT-8 rims look awesome and would be the most headache-free, but you will pay a pretty penny for that convenience. Wasn't there someone on here from CA selling some Startech rims?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Antenna

A 2.25" lift will run you around $200 or less and will give you more clearance. If you are going to run 20" rims with non-rubberband tires, then you will need more clearance.

PS: That 13" Rubber Antenna in your sig..................Do you still recieve good pick up from it or do you lose some signal?

I have a 13" Rubber Antenna and I haven't had a any significant drop off but I live in the city. The 13" Rubber will not have the reception capabilities of the stock but it also looks better than stock in my opinion.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To be honest, I haven't noticed any difference in signal since I installed the antenna. Then again, I live about 10 minutes outside the city, so signal is good regardless.

As for the wheels thanks for all the replies, they have definitely been helpful. I as looking at the SRT8 rims and they are definitely a pretty good option (although from what I have seen they are pretty expensive). I was also thinking of maybe going with an off-road type 20" wheel with a normal size tire, but not sure if it would look good. This would also require a bit more searching to find the right offset, avoid rubbing, etc., but would give me a wheel that I wouldn't worry about all the time while still looking good. I'll continue looking around and will post any potential buys prior to purchasing them to see what you guys think. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
22's on a stock commander with thicker sidewall would be difficult. I have 22" with 265/35/r22 and that's about as big as I felt I could go. Everyone told me how bad of a ride it would be and bla bla bla, but I proved them all wrong. It rides just like stock.
Why would putting a larger wheel on a vehicle make it ride bad??

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Why would putting a larger wheel on a vehicle make it ride bad??
What is generally done is the tire sidewall size becomes shorter as the wheel becomes larger in the hopes of maintaining clearance.
As the sidewalls get shorter, they are made stiffer in the hopes of reducing pothole damage to the rim.
Because of this stiffness, the ride becomes more and more harsh over short amplitude bumps.....imparting that stiffness to the springs and shocks.

The inverse applies to your setup.....you have very tall sidewalls to absorb irregularities and that which is transmitted to the springs and shocks has been dampend quite a bit by the sidewall.

Rob

They make your brakes wear faster and increase stopping distance as well due to the increased leverage of the larger rim on the brake rotors.

·
Registered
51 Posts
20" wheels

I Have 20's on my 06 Commander, Also had the same wheels on my 05 Grand... They fit great and look great too. I am running a 275/45r20 rides great but not so good on rougher dirt roads (washboard type)
Considered 22's but that would leave no sidewall at stock height and since my wife is the main driver wheel damage was a major concern...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well put Robby, its not so much the rims, its going from a 75mm side wall to a 35mm that is stiffer.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I Have 20's on my 06 Commander, Also had the same wheels on my 05 Grand... They fit great and look great too. I am running a 275/45r20 rides great but not so good on rougher dirt roads (washboard type)
Considered 22's but that would leave no sidewall at stock height and since my wife is the main driver wheel damage was a major concern...
I am also concerned about wheel damage if I run 22's, which is why I am starting to rule it out as an option. Do you happen to have any pictures of your setup?

·
Banned
277 Posts
You may want to look up forum member "Stormtrooper" - he used to have 20's on his XK a while back and has some good pics on his profile album along with the tire size he was running: 275/55-20. He knows a lot about the rim options for the XK, and I bet he'd be happy to try and answer any questions you have. Good Luck.

Stormtrooper's Album: http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/album.php?albumid=163&page=2

·
Registered
343 Posts
Pics of my setup?

·
Registered
51 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey lobo, the link worked and those wheels look great. After seeing those on your Jeep, 20" are exactly what I am looking for. They are big enough to fit in with the size of the truck, but still allow for a good amount of sidewall on the tires. btw do you leave these on year round or take them off for bad weather? Also, not sure if you know the answer to this, but is that the thickest sidewall you could have with that size wheel (without having a lift/trimming anything)? Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
20's

I take my wheels off in the winter just to preserve the finish, they do ok in the snow but as I said before my wife is the main driver and she can't drive in the snow so I'd be terrified of her curbing my wheels... to my knowledge that is the largest size tire that you can run without trimming, but in my opinion they are just right! When I am in need of tires next I will most like put a 2" boost on and get a larger more aggressive tire for the wheels.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ya man, those tires definitely fill in the wheel well nicely. By any chance have you tried fitting a 20" spare (with your tire dimensions) in the location underneath the back bumper where the stock spare is? I doubt its possible but it would be great to have one, since 20s would become my permanent wheels.

I take my wheels off in the winter just to preserve the finish, they do ok in the snow but as I said before my wife is the main driver and she can't drive in the snow so I'd be terrified of her curbing my wheels... to my knowledge that is the largest size tire that you can run without trimming, but in my opinion they are just right! When I am in need of tires next I will most like put a 2" boost on and get a larger more aggressive tire for the wheels.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts