Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on setting up a second set of wheels tires for some hard off road abuse, while keeping my nicer tires for casual driving and much better gas mileage. Doing this on a budget meant that I was really limited in choices, but I finally got a setup that I think fits well.

First up, I found some wheels that came off a WK2. They're a set of 18s, and while they originally were given a silver finish, the amount of curb rash and scratching meant they needed some work. I decided to paint them black to see how they looked, and I think they turned out pretty good.

I also found a set of used Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs to throw on the wheels. They're 275/65R18s, or 32s. They fit pretty well, though even with the pinch weld mod I get some rubbing at full lock.

I'm also running a set of 2" Spidertrax spacers to give me enough backspacing to clear the upper ball joint.

Overall, the setup is working pretty nicely so far. These tires are much louder than my General Grabbers, but they've been great so far. I threw them on for a trip to the dunes this weekend, set them to 15 psi, and they did far better than my Grabbers did. I suspect this is primarily due to the extra width, but they never felt even remotely close to digging in. I was able to climb some hills even the larger rigs struggled with, and there was plenty of grip even on some very sharp descents.

IMG_2533.jpg
IMG_2542.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
I've been working on setting up a second set of wheels tires for some hard off road abuse, while keeping my nicer tires for casual driving and much better gas mileage. Doing this on a budget meant that I was really limited in choices, but I finally got a setup that I think fits well.

First up, I found some wheels that came off a WK2. They're a set of 18s, and while they originally were given a silver finish, the amount of curb rash and scratching meant they needed some work. I decided to paint them black to see how they looked, and I think they turned out pretty good.

I also found a set of used Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs to throw on the wheels. They're 275/65R18s, or 32s. They fit pretty well, though even with the pinch weld mod I get some rubbing at full lock.

I'm also running a set of 2" Spidertrax spacers to give me enough backspacing to clear the upper ball joint.

Overall, the setup is working pretty nicely so far. These tires are much louder than my General Grabbers, but they've been great so far. I threw them on for a trip to the dunes this weekend, set them to 15 psi, and they did far better than my Grabbers did. I suspect this is primarily due to the extra width, but they never felt even remotely close to digging in. I was able to climb some hills even the larger rigs struggled with, and there was plenty of grip even on some very sharp descents.

View attachment 27370
View attachment 27378
That's nice work consumedbywater;

That looks really solid & thanks for sharing the pics.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lift is just a 2" Crown lift, which is identical to a 2" RC lift. I'm also getting a little extra lift in the rear from F150 Monroe Load Levellers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just trying to figure out if I am going to go with the RC 2.25" or the 3" lift from top gun.
I plan on running 275 70 17's.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just trying to figure out if I am going to go with the RC 2.25" or the 3" lift from top gun.
I plan on running 275 70 17's.
The RC lift, and by extension the Crown lift I have, are tried and proven lifts on this forum. The Top Gun lift seems to be much more obscure, and I haven't been able to find much info on it at all. I think you'd be fine going with the RC lift, and with a properly shaped fender liner I think you should be able to run that tire without too much issue. You'll just have to go with a spacer or properly backspaced wheel.

That being said, you will most likely get rubbing with the RC lift, and I really encourage going for OME springs instead if you can afford them. They may get you a bit more height than the RC, and you'll be running a much more capable setup for serious off roading.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Time to update the thread, and unfortunately the news isn't good. I've heard rumors about Duratracs having weak sidewalls, and this weekend I was able to verify.

I was going up a pretty rough trail aired down to 15 psi, and the sidewall of one of my front tires split from tread to rim when it hit a log. Admittedly, I wasn't being as careful as I could have been, but my Grabbers have taken much more abuse.

With one Duratrac down now, I figure it's time to start looking at bigger tires anyway. I'm planning to pick up UCAs and OME springs as soon as I can, then hopefully I'll be moving up to 34s or 35s.

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
Time to update the thread, and unfortunately the news isn't good. I've heard rumors about Duratracs having weak sidewalls, and this weekend I was able to verify.

I was going up a pretty rough trail aired down to 15 psi, and the sidewall of one of my front tires split from tread to rim when it hit a log. Admittedly, I wasn't being as careful as I could have been, but my Grabbers have taken much more abuse.

With one Duratrac down now, I figure it's time to start looking at bigger tires anyway. I'm planning to pick up UCAs and OME springs as soon as I can, then hopefully I'll be moving up to 34s or 35s.
I used to really like the BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A's but of course they stopped making them.

This last time around I gave TOYO A/T's a try.

I've found that they are slightly smaller in circumference then the typical P265-70-R17 - about 31.5 inches as opposed to the 31.75 inches that most other 265/70's usually run.

They seem to be holding up pretty well so far.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm probably going to end up with a very aggressive tread. Since I have two sets of wheels, I can swap my Grabbers on for daily use and light off roading, and I'll probably go for a mud terrain on my off roading set.

·
Registered
21 Posts
consumedbywater "Time to update the thread, and unfortunately the news isn't good. I've heard rumors about Duratracs having weak sidewalls, and this weekend I was able to verify"

I know they make 2 different Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 275/65R18. There is the 275/65R18 and there is the LT275/65R18s which has thicker and stiffer sidewalls and a higher load rating. Costs a little more but generally worth it. I ended up getting the LT series for mine, albeit mine are BF Goodrich.

From what i've read, if the tire size listed does not have any letter in the front of it ...LT or P ... it is considered a P.

If you click this link, you can then compare the two different ones and their ratings. .... https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-duratrac/sizes-specs

This may help you when you go buy new tires regardless of size

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks rifle, I'm aware of the differences between the tires. These were the passenger version, I just went with them because they were a used set with good tread left in my area.

That being said, the sidewall was still significantly weaker than I expected from an all terrain style tire. If I were to buy them again, I would definitely go for a load range E set for the thicker sidewalls, but since the tires are going to be primarily off road tires anyway I think a mud terrain is the better option.

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
Thanks rifle, I'm aware of the differences between the tires. These were the passenger version, I just went with them because they were a used set with good tread left in my area.

That being said, the sidewall was still significantly weaker than I expected from an all terrain style tire. If I were to buy them again, I would definitely go for a load range E set for the thicker sidewalls, but since the tires are going to be primarily off road tires anyway I think a mud terrain is the better option.
Mud Terrains are a good choice for off-road use, but, here are some things to consider if your XK is your daily driver.

They are quite a bit heavier and will put more of a strain on the suspension - which can become an issue over time and cause premature wear, particularly if you are still running the stock suspension components IE shocks, springs, UCA's etc.

They can be pretty noisy on the highway too.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mud Terrains are a good choice for off-road use, but, here are some things to consider if your XK is your daily driver.

They are quite a bit heavier and will put more of a strain on the suspension - which can become an issue over time and cause premature wear, particularly if you are still running the stock suspension components IE shocks, springs, UCA's etc.

They can be pretty noisy on the highway too.
Thanks, but I don't think you're understanding my plan. I still have my original wheels with my Grabbers mounted. They're going to be my daily driven wheels and tires, to keep road manners more reasonable.

I have a second pair of wheels that I'll be mounting the mud terrains on. I'll mount them for off road excursions. It's a bit more expensive up front, but in the end it'll save me the extra tire wear from highway use and help with gas mileage as well. Another benefit of this setup is that I can worry a bit less about off roading since I won't have any downtime if I happen to lose another tire.

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
Thanks, but I don't think you're understanding my plan. I still have my original wheels with my Grabbers mounted. They're going to be my daily driven wheels and tires, to keep road manners more reasonable.

I have a second pair of wheels that I'll be mounting the mud terrains on. I'll mount them for off road excursions. It's a bit more expensive up front, but in the end it'll save me the extra tire wear from highway use and help with gas mileage as well. Another benefit of this setup is that I can worry a bit less about off roading since I won't have any downtime if I happen to lose another tire.
Nope, I didn't realize that was your plan.

That being the case, I'd say Mud Terrain's are a good choice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts