Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started my 06 commander today with no problem. Worked as normal. Went to the grocery store and an hour later the engine is dead. I mean completely dead. After I got the doors opened with the remote control there wasn't enough power to lock or open them again with the control. I don't know what I left on to drain the battery or how it happened so quickly without warning. Got a jump, let it run for an hour, got it home and parked. I immediately tried to restart the vehicle and the battery is dead again. Completely dead. I guess I need a new battery, do you agree?

Anyway, where is the best place to purchase a new battery? Am I better off going to the dealer or one of the vendors like Pep Boys or the like? Also, any special type of battery I need to look for?

Thanks,

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would try Pep Boys, or Auto Zone. They can look up exact replacements specs, and usually offer a better warranty and lower costs than a dealership. Some parts stores even do the install for free.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Wal-mart also sells a good battery and will install it for free.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Optima Yellow Top FTW!!!!

·
Registered
953 Posts
I hope it's just the battery. It could be that the alternater is not charging the battery as it should.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Same thing happened to my 06 a week ago. Drove home from work on Monday, park at the house like always. Came out to run an errand an hour later and it wouldn't start. Only enough power to open the door locks, not enough to relock them. Next day I got a new battery, everything was fine after that. I'm in central Texas and was told by several people that the heat has been hard on batteries this summer.

John

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your help. Pep Boys or Autozone it is.

I hope it's just the battery. It could be that the alternater is not charging the battery as it should.
I was thinking the same thing. I'll have them check it out to be sure.

Same thing happened to my 06 a week ago. Drove home from work on Monday, park at the house like always. Came out to run an errand an hour later and it wouldn't start. Only enough power to open the door locks, not enough to relock them. Next day I got a new battery, everything was fine after that. I'm in central Texas and was told by several people that the heat has been hard on batteries this summer. John
Sounds like exactly the same thing. No warning or anything. Couldn't even lock the vehicle, not enough power. Though it hasn't been hot this summer here in the North East I hope it turns out like yours and is only the battery.

Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was the battery. Phew! Replaces and everything is fine. Still surprised there was no warning. Working normally one minute. Turn the car off and battery is totally dead. Don't understand it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
battery gave way on my 06 commander LTD today and the replacement battery from auto zone with three year no charge replacement and 8 year total warrant was $157, installed myself and the Jeep is back up to full throttle. The same battery from O'Reilly's was identical cost. The Texas heat must have been hard as my battery was totally dead and would not even crank or bring on accessory lights. Checked it with voltmeter and it was about 7 or 8 wolts

·
Registered
139 Posts
You're all lucky. Mine cranked and exploded meaning the battery never went dead but just exploded and I had to clean the mess not to mention that I was not home when it happened.

Went for Autozone's and worked since. I went away for a week without using the Commanded and came back without any sign of battery discharging.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Special Battery?

Hi,

I went out this morning to start my 2007 Commander Overland and it would not start. My husband tested the battery and it only registered 10 volts. He gave me a charge and I took it to my mechanic to have the battery tested. The mechanic said it looks like the battery is not holding a charge (will only hold 12.5 volts instead of 14 volts). He proceeded to tell me the battery is a new type of battery only Jeep is making right now and I can only have it replaced at a Jeep dealership. Is this true? Has anyone else been told this too? Even thou this is what Jeep is saying, I am wondering if I can try replacing this "special" battery with a regular battery from AutoZone or Pep Boys? Any thoughts on this subject?

Thanks for your input! :icon_confused:

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
You can buy a battery anywhere you want. The Jeep battery is only sold by Jeep but you do not have to use that battery.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I went to start the Jeep to move it yesterday, click click click click click click....and so on...d*#$, the battery dead already? So, I tried tightening the connectors to make sure they were good and tight. Attempted again, it started to try to turn over, and then got the Service 4wd and a DTS code thrown. It has started every time since, but it does turn over a few more times before starting. The extra start time was the same I had with my cousin's Explorer before her battery died. I think it's the battery, and I'm glad I'm not the first 06 to have the battery die on them. The Jeep is 3.5 years old, so the battery doesn't surprise me too much. I'm off to Autozone later today.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
My battery went in my 06 to. I thought it was my fault. I have remote start and nav. I had started the truck with the remote and then decided to take my wife car so i shut it off with the remote. We got back from the store I saw a light on in my truck it was the nav/radio on. I opend the door and it shut off.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My 2006 gave up the battery today, amazing Jeep has figured out hoe to make the battery die 1 month after basic warranty expires.....

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
I just put a Optima Yellow Top in My 2006 Commander Yesterday.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts