Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put in new brakes this afternoon. I need to get an inspection this month and the inspection shop told me last year that the rear pads would probably need replacing soon. I had 60,952 miles on the oem pads. The fronts are still good but the rears are pretty worn. I installed Federated Silver Plus ceramic pads , front and rear, at a total cost of $51.90 with my shop's discount.

front on the left, rear on the right

front

rear

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
I replaced my rear brakes at 63,000 or so. The fronts are still OEM.
They have a lot of pad left. Must be because I drag breaks off road eh?

·
Registered
696 Posts
My 4 wheel Hawks that I just did are squeaking. Why do brand new brakes squeak? I was trying to get rid of the squeaks! Shop told me to do 60-0 stop to glaze them after 500 miles. I did it. Do I keep doing it until the squeaking is gone?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Did you replace them all? My guess is probably. Just checking. I'm putting on rear rotors and front pads tonight. I just switched out my rear pads and front rotors and that was all I needed a month ago but now I can feel and hear that my rear rotors are slightly warped and I figured I might as well just go ahead and replace the fronts when I put on my spacers this evening since I'll have the wheels off. Had to order the rotors yesterday as they weren't in stock.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
...Why do brand new brakes squeak? I was trying to get rid of the squeaks! Shop told me to do 60-0 stop to glaze them after 500 miles. I did it. Do I keep doing it until the squeaking is gone?
All sorts of reasons, OEM brakes are made of compound that is designed NOT to squeak, other formulas may make compromises that don't go as far to prevent squeaking. Cheap Pads or High Performance Pads might squeak. As well, its the job you've done replacing the pads. There are parts that need to be greased with the proper grease, if the rotors are NOT "flat" enough, they need to be re-surfaced or replaced, there are "anti-noise pads" that go between the caliper and pad, some come with pads some do NOT, sometimes they are needed, sometimes they are NOT. But just slapping a set of pads in, without paying attention to those things can result in squeaking.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dont known if the question was for me, but I did change all four corners even though the fronts were still good. I wanted to check them and then rotate the tires at the same time, figured since the wheels were off, go ahead and change them out. They feel very nice and no squealing at all.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it is the metal content that causes
the squeak.
NOT sure, probably, as well as many other things in the compound or the rotors or the measures you take to do the job properly when replacing them.

Keep in mind:
Cheap Pads: designed to work with the cheapest materials and contruction possible (noise and performance is probably compromised)
Hi-Performance Pads: designed to work at the highest performance possible (Noise and Cost is probably compromised).
Hi-Quality Direct Replacement Pads: designed to work in the manner most customers expect (a balance of cost/noise/performance).

If you don't want noise, look for Hi-Quality Pads from a brand with a good reputation, that the specs for the pads stipulate "low Noise". Then make sure you do a "Proper" job installing the pads.

If you get cheap pads, hi-performance pads or do a less than "proper" job installing them, then squeaking should NOT be surprising, its the compromise you make for those design decisions in the parts and job you do.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Ceramic are the best at not making any noise. The cheaper you go the louder they are.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I don't want to give the wrong impression about hi-performance pads. Do your research and understand the drawbacks before paying so much for them.

BUT, a good quality performance pad, like EBC or Hawke, should NOT make a lot of noise or dust, sure more than direct replacement pads of good quality, but it shouldn't be worse than an occassional squeak or moan, thats the drawback of having such better performing pads. Make sure they are for Street Applications and NOT race.

Remember, do NOT use race pads, more is NOT always better. Race pads are designed to work best at the much higher temps of a race, where the brakes are hot the entire time. Race pads perform horribly at cold/normal temps, and you'll find your brake won't work well until you've made a couple of hard stops to heat them up to the temp they were designed to work at.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts