Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are ready to buy a Commander and have test drove the '08 model. I have just been offered a '07 w/the 4.7L, roofs, 13K miles for about $17.5K ... which I will be driving tomorrow.

Differences seem to be more HP in '08 and a more refined dash and steering wheel.

What else am I missing?
What are owners experiences with the HP difference?
Recommendations are appreciated as well.

Basically is an '08 worth about $2K more for same equipment. Please educate me as we plan to purchase soon. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
For the 2K, how much more warranty will you receive and the peace of mind that comes with it?

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Differences seem to be more HP in '08...
There is no difference between the '07 and '08 engines--no changes were made. There IS an increase in horsepower for the '09 models.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
There is no difference between the '07 and '08 engines--no changes were made. There IS an increase in horsepower for the '09 models.
That's not entirely true, it depends on the engine. The 4.7 in the '08+ is a different model from the 06-07 models: more hp & torque, 16 plugs, different air intake, etc.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
That's not entirely true, it depends on the engine. The 4.7 in the '08+ is a different model from the 06-07 models: more hp & torque, 16 plugs, different air intake, etc.
Sorry, bud, but you are wrong on that.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
You didn't mention how many miles are on the 08, but 13,000 miles on an 07 seems like low miles. So at least it has a lot of life left. I assume you are saying the 2 vehicles are equiped with the same options. If not, add them to your calculations. Other than that, it would seem that there are few differences from the 07 to the 08, except for the warranty that 49er mentioned in his post.

·
Registered
266 Posts
There is a difference in the '08. 300HP and 340 torque. They altered the existing engine and fine tuned it. there is also a difference in the '08 Hemi, more power, more fuel economy.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Sorry, bud, but you are wrong on that.
ummm... Google is your friend:stickpoke:

http://www.xkjeeps.com/2008_Commander.htm
We now have more exclusive details on additional features that will be offered on the 2008 Commander models:

Hill Ascent control assists the driver when starting a vehicle from a stop on a hill by maintaining the same level of brake pressure the driver applied for a short period of time after the foot has been removed from the brake pedal. The system will release the brake pedal in proportion to the amount of throttle applied. If the throttle is not applied within a short period of time after the foot has been removed from the brake pedal, Hill Ascent Control will release brake pressure.

Hill Descent control allows a smooth and controlled hill descent on rough or slippery terrain without the driver needing to touch the brake pedal. This system applies the brakes to each wheel individually when needed to reduce forward motion while negotiating down steep grades.

Trailer Sway Control is another new feature that will be offered on vehicles equipped with trailer tow packages. Trailer Sway Control reduces trailer sway (an alternating yaw of the vehicle) and improves handling in adverse towing conditions caused by crosswinds and traffic, provides trailer stability and increases towing safety. The system monitors the vehicle’s movement relative to the driver’s intended path, and the vehicle yaw sensor recognizes sway. Trailer Sway Control applies brake pressure on one front wheel to counteract the yaw induced by the trailer and applies brake pressure to all four wheels to slow the vehicle. As the trailer sways to the other side of the vehicle, Trailer Sway Control will increase pressure to the opposite side of the vehicle. The system will continue to apply alternating brake pressure and reduce engine torque until the trailer is under control.

Engines: A new 305-hp version of the 4.7L engine is set to debut in the Commander for 2008. The 3.7L and 5.7L Hemi engines will continue to be offered.

Other expected changes for 2008, the 3rd year of the XK generation, may include some interior upgrades and as well as some minor exterior changes.

--XKJeeps.com exclusive information ©2007 XKJeeps.com--
Also:
Interior changes:

Fully Redesigned Instrument Panel with soft-touch surfaces
All New Clusters, Bezels, and Door Trim Panels
New Tilt/Telescoping Steering Wheel with Integrated EVIC Controls
Integrated 2nd Row Headrests
Heated 2nd Row Seats
Leather-wrapped parking brake handle
New Radios, including MyGIG Multimedia Infotainment System
SIRIUS Backseat TV with 8-inch DVD Screen
Glove Box i-Pod Interface to U-Connect
115V Power Outlet
ParkView Rear Back-up Camera now available without Navigation
SIRIUS Satellite Radio now standard on Laredo, Limited, and Overland

·
Registered
953 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
He was referring to the 16 plugs reference. I don't believe the new 4.7L has bumped up to 16 plugs. Only the Hemi uses 16.
Ummm... Search is your friend also...:stickpoke:

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7053&highlight=spark+plugs

NOTE: ** Vehicles built with the 4.7L engine are
equipped with sixteen spark plugs, one set is located on
the top of the engine under the coils and the second set is
located on the side of the engine.
The spark plugs located under the coils are a standard
plug and must be change every 30,000 miles (50 000 km)
The spark plugs located on the side of the engine are a
premium plug and must be changed every 102,000 miles
(170 000 km).

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
My apologies, rwmorrisonjr, I was wrong. Thanks for the info [email protected].

·
Registered
953 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update on Purchase

Well the '07 definitely has lots of differences. Enough to sway my decision to an '08 after the test drive.

The '08 I looked at sold out from under me while I was in my in-decision mode. The search continues but we will find it eventually. We want the Sport with leather, roofs and Boston stereo. Basically around 18K for a used one if you can find it.

Here in the Northwest there are mostly base model 6 cylinder models. Wish us luck ...

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had to make the same decision. I decided the new 08 with big bucks off and 0% financing along with full warrany was the way to go. Not too many 08s left, and beleive it or not they are going fast. Or at least I missed several before I finally nailed one down. Got a few with Hemis around here if it is not too far for you.

Well the '07 definitely has lots of differences. Enough to sway my decision to an '08 after the test drive.

The '08 I looked at sold out from under me while I was in my in-decision mode. The search continues but we will find it eventually. We want the Sport with leather, roofs and Boston stereo. Basically around 18K for a used one if you can find it.

Here in the Northwest there are mostly base model 6 cylinder models. Wish us luck ...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is surprising how few '08 new and used are out there. The configurations are so strange that it's hard to find the right package. They are either base units or top of the line Limiteds'. The few 8 cylinder packages are usually way overpriced for very little equipment.

We are not in rush and will hold out for a used '08 packaged the way we want it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It is surprising how few '08 new and used are out there. The configurations are so strange that it's hard to find the right package. They are either base units or top of the line Limiteds'. The few 8 cylinder packages are usually way overpriced for very little equipment.

We are not in rush and will hold out for a used '08 packaged the way we want it.
You may find that the new is cheaper that the used. And with new you get the good factory warrenty Pluss 0% financing, which they pay you to take. I got 14K off of a new loaded one, pluss the "0%"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
where did you find 14K off ... i have been getting 10k off but it's not enough since all you get is cloth with power seats.

·
Registered
118 Posts
There are several new 07 and 08s, fully loaded LTDs with tons off.
Got to Cars.com or Autotrader. Or search the Chrysler sites. The dealer will make a deal on those left overs.
And they are cutting lots off of the fully loaded 09s too, but there are not many out there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought an '08 for about $19k. It has leather, heated seats, sunroofs, 4.7, tow package (i think), hill descent, Boston sound system, backup assist, fog lights, auto start... well a lot of stuff that I'm still trying to figure out. It only has 17k miles on it so I think i got a really good deal. It was the only one on the lot that wasn't a stripped out model, so I jumped on it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts