Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
06 Commander, Black, 4.7
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking forward to insights, tips and tricks to get the most out of my 06 Commander Limited. Have some plans and already starting to get them moving. It's a daily driver though so it takes time. WIP. I have a 2.5" lift kit with new shocks coming from RR. I have some new wheels and tires, will be getting a CAI etc. The power steering has been completely replaced and the front end done by the previous owner, so that's good. This unit has about 269.000km on it, so it needs some care right now. I already saw that someone had put in green coolant, so that is one thing I need to deal with right away. Doesn't seem to be a lot out there though for this vehicle. Can't even find good seat covers. I guess that's what happens with a one and done model. Thanks in advance for your anticipated help!

B

· Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
2,372 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

• Love
Reactions: BigB6958

· Registered
2006 4.7L
392 Posts
Looking forward to insights, tips and tricks to get the most out of my 06 Commander Limited. Have some plans and already starting to get them moving. It's a daily driver though so it takes time. WIP. I have a 2.5" lift kit with new shocks coming from RR. I have some new wheels and tires, will be getting a CAI etc. The power steering has been completely replaced and the front end done by the previous owner, so that's good. This unit has about 269.000km on it, so it needs some care right now. I already saw that someone had put in green coolant, so that is one thing I need to deal with right away. Doesn't seem to be a lot out there though for this vehicle. Can't even find good seat covers. I guess that's what happens with a one and done model. Thanks in advance for your anticipated help!

B
Try Wet Okole for seat covers

· Registered
2006 Commander 3.7 V6, 4WD QT-I
152 Posts
Welcome to the forum 🏁🏁🏁

Reactions: BigB6958

· Registered
06 Commander, Black, 4.7
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you plan on wheeling it, go ahead and get the jba uppers to install when you put the lift on.
No wheeling, just streeting, so no need to buy very expensive overkill uppers. I'm going to replace the struts and rear shocks when I do the lift though.

· Registered
06 Commander, Black, 4.7
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

B
The RR lift was gonna take forever so I cancelled and went with Rough Country. 1/2" less lift but it was available.

Reactions: chellochow

· Registered
06 Commander, Black, 4.7
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll try to take some later and load them. It looks really good, but the install was a complete nightmare. So much cutting required of the brutally rusted in bolts etc. I replaced the lower control arms because they had to be cut out. Every new bolt (and the old ones too that weren't replaced) received a good coating of copper anti-seize. Hopefully that helps if anything new requires being done in the future. Would I do it again....absolutely. Because I am a masochist I guess.

· Registered
65th Anniversary, OME MD, Bilstein 4600 fr, 5100 rear
17 Posts
I'll try to take some later and load them. It looks really good, but the install was a complete nightmare. So much cutting required of the brutally rusted in bolts etc. I replaced the lower control arms because they had to be cut out. Every new bolt (and the old ones too that weren't replaced) received a good coating of copper anti-seize. Hopefully that helps if anything new requires being done in the future. Would I do it again....absolutely. Because I am a masochist I guess.
That’s what I was concerned about with my recent lift. Turns out nothing was seized. I even bought new clevis bolts from the dealer that I plan to return.

· Registered
06 Commander, Black, 4.7
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lucky you. I replaced mine, along with multiple other bolts and parts. As I said, I would do it again as it definitely looks good, but it was a PITA.

· Registered
2006 Commander 5.7 QDII
8 Posts
it certainly wont be a pain next time.
instead of spending the time and energy, i usually break what won't come off easily and replace with new bolts/nuts, etc and coat upon reassembly also.

those clevis bolts are certainly a pain. good gods!

· Administrator
2008 XK Sport 4.7L V-8 QT-II 4WD 104,xxx Miles
8,736 Posts

B
@BigB6958 ;

Welcome to the forum; Post some pics of your Commander when you can;

Please read the 1st post in the New Member Required Reading thread below; There is loads of great information for new Commander owners;

NEW MEMBER REQUIRED READING!!! Important New Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

Here are some links if you need to order any parts for repairs or upgrades to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/

North American Parts: https://northamericanparts.rpmware.c...unt/login.aspx

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - https://www.justforjeeps.com/

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - https://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAj...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...catalog%2Fjeep

I hope you find this information useful & again, welcome aboard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts