Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished installing my CB and I have never seen it done this way yet, and I'm very pleased with the results. For mounting I used an underdash radio pod from Crutchfield and used it on top of the dash. I had to modify it a bit to fit the CB, but a little work with a file took care of it. I colored it with ColorBond GM Light Kahki which was the best match I could find for the Kahki interior color. If I had it to do over again I would try to get a match for the Greystone color. Everything is mounted in a non damaging way, 3M Trim tape (this stuff sticks really strong, but will come off with enough force) so I can return the Jeep to stock if need be. Let me know what y'all think!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
Looks good. Personally I like to keep mine as stock looking as possible, which is why if I ever need a CB I'll likely install it underneath the driver's side dashboard on the flip down panel. But your solution looks great and much easier to use.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks good. Personally I like to keep mine as stock looking as possible, which is why if I ever need a CB I'll likely install it underneath the driver's side dashboard on the flip down panel. But your solution looks great and much easier to use.
The left side of the dash is what I originally wanted to do, but I tested that by zip-tie-ing it in place for a few days. My wife and I are both rather tall and we kept bashing our knee into it getting in and out, and for me my left knee would touch it while I was driving which I didn't like. If I didn't want a full size CB some of the smaller ones will fit where the storage pocket is on the left side of the dash.

·
Registered
480 Posts
There's actually a panel under the dash that flips down, which would be a great location for the install. If you pull down on the panel underneath the steering wheel, it'll flip down. There's a good amount of space in there to install it out of the way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's actually a panel under the dash that flips down, which would be a great location for the install. If you pull down on the panel underneath the steering wheel, it'll flip down. There's a good amount of space in there to install it out of the way.
Yeah, that's what I had done, removed that panel all together and mounted it to the steel frame underneath. My original thought was to mount it there and then cut the cover to fit around it. For my legs the only place I could have put it would have been dead center under the steering wheel so that it would go between the two steel frame pieces. Might work depending on your size, I'm 6' 4" and I couldn't get in and out at all with my boots on, when I originally put it there I was barefoot and that made a difference.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just finished installing my CB and I have never seen it done this way yet, and I'm very pleased with the results. For mounting I used an underdash radio pod from Crutchfield and used it on top of the dash. I had to modify it a bit to fit the CB, but a little work with a file took care of it. I colored it with ColorBond GM Light Kahki which was the best match I could find for the Kahki interior color. If I had it to do over again I would try to get a match for the Greystone color. Everything is mounted in a non damaging way, 3M Trim tape (this stuff sticks really strong, but will come off with enough force) so I can return the Jeep to stock if need be. Let me know what y'all think!!!
Great location.
I did mine like that about 8 years ago. Except I made mine out of fiberglass. then I applied the texture on it ,and then painted to match.
The Cobra 29 is a great consumer grade radio. Very easy to modify the insides.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great location.
I did mine like that about 8 years ago. Except I made mine out of fiberglass. then I applied the texture on it ,and then painted to match.
The Cobra 29 is a great consumer grade radio. Very easy to modify the insides.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
That's pretty slick! Great minds man, great minds. :smile2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts