Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!
Jamie in West Michigan here. I have been driving Jeep Cherokee Sports since 1998, on my 4th currently which is my Cherokee 2000- she is now really sad and rusty from our wonderful seasons and dirt roads. I very reluctantly just purchased the very sharp Commander. A 2007 AWD Sport edition in silver. 4.7 V8. Shes pretty sitting in the driveway, but Im still in my Cherokee. Old habits die hard ya know.

Reason for my joining this - I really REALLY want opinions from others who A-Love or B-hate the AWD... and also who has put the 'factory acceptable lift' on it to get it off the ground. I believe they say its only a 1" but its better than nothing.

As far as the AWD:

I drove my buddies Trailblazer ONE TIME for him from downtown out to the airport...it was a snowy gross day and I literally *yes, literally* spun out a dozen times. Going 4 MPH....I dont know what the heck they did to "AWD" but that scared the crap out of me!
Then just talked to a former Compass owner and she replaced it because she spun out.

Now Im beginning to FREAK OUT...snow has arrived and Im nervous!

So - give me the good and the bad about this stupid Full Time 4WD or IMO AWD BS! :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
First off, welcome to the club!

I got my first "AWD" (QTII which you have is so much more than AWD) in 2005 on a Grand Cherokee, same powertrain as yours, and it was beautiful. Drove like a tank in the snow (yeah, yeah, he's in NC he doesn't know snow... I lived in Northern VA/MD at the time). Prior to that I had a 2000 XJ with the 231 transfer case (part-time only), and only ever had one of the 242 transfer cases (full-time available). I think you'll really appreciate not having to monkey around with the 4wd shifter and enjoy how sturdy it is.

Of course tires trump the transfer case situation... make sure you're comfortable with the rubber you're putting on the road.

I'm not here to bash the GM you drove... but I'll tell you my newer Grand Cherokee with a similar transfer case to a Tahoe does not feel as sure footed in the sand or snow as my old WK with the 245 transfer case.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OH you can bash that POS trailblazer. Ive driven in the snow a L.O.T. and could not keep that buggar from spinning out on me, it was crazy. Never did so many circles on purpose in my life! But - when I drive in the snow, its in a Jeep and has been since Ive been 18 years old! :)
The QTII is really what makes me most nervous...should the Jeep decide Im sliding, Id really prefer that *Im* the one controlling it, not a computer.
Especially after watching a couple youtubers going through some sand trails and watching the fronts not spin together.

And yes - I like big beefy tires, shopping for those now! :)

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
84 Posts
OH you can bash that POS trailblazer. Ive driven in the snow a L.O.T. and could not keep that buggar from spinning out on me, it was crazy. Never did so many circles on purpose in my life! But - when I drive in the snow, its in a Jeep and has been since Ive been 18 years old! :)
The QTII is really what makes me most nervous...should the Jeep decide Im sliding, Id really prefer that *Im* the one controlling it, not a computer.
Especially after watching a couple youtubers going through some sand trails and watching the fronts not spin together.

And yes - I like big beefy tires, shopping for those now! :)

Thanks for the help!

I went from a 2000 cherokee with the 231case to a 2008 grand with the qt1 awd system. With traction control on, the vehicle was very safe but not so much fun in the snow. Switch off the traction control and it was just like the 4wd in the old cherokee, ripping through turns in the snow, controlling the slide with the gas pedal. I am expecting the same experience with my 2007 commander with qt2. And yeah, tires make a big difference too.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Hello All!
Jamie in West Michigan here. I have been driving Jeep Cherokee Sports since 1998, on my 4th currently which is my Cherokee 2000- she is now really sad and rusty from our wonderful seasons and dirt roads. I very reluctantly just purchased the very sharp Commander. A 2007 AWD Sport edition in silver. 4.7 V8. Shes pretty sitting in the driveway, but Im still in my Cherokee. Old habits die hard ya know.

Reason for my joining this - I really REALLY want opinions from others who A-Love or B-hate the AWD... and also who has put the 'factory acceptable lift' on it to get it off the ground. I believe they say its only a 1" but its better than nothing.

As far as the AWD:

I drove my buddies Trailblazer ONE TIME for him from downtown out to the airport...it was a snowy gross day and I literally *yes, literally* spun out a dozen times. Going 4 MPH....I dont know what the heck they did to "AWD" but that scared the crap out of me!
Then just talked to a former Compass owner and she replaced it because she spun out.

Now Im beginning to FREAK OUT...snow has arrived and Im nervous!

So - give me the good and the bad about this stupid Full Time 4WD or IMO AWD BS! :)

Thanks!

@dogsdogs77;

Jamie, the Quadra-Trac I 4WD system, which is what you have, also comes with the additional systems of Traction Control and Electronic Stability Control and is equipped with the NV140 single speed transfer case.

To call it AWD really isn't accurate & does not do the off-road capabilities of your Commander any justice; It's quite a bit more capable than your generic AWD systems. You shouldn't have any issues driving in the snow with the QT-I 4WD System.

In any event, post some pics of your Commander when you can; Here are some links to help you out if you want to do any future upgrades or repairs to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ukey_make=1064

Cheapest factory Parts: Find OEM BMW, Fiat, Ford, GM, Mopar, Nissan, Subaru & Toyota Parts & Accessories

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - http://www.justforjeeps.com/?gclid=C...9i0hoCSS7w_wcB

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - http://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjw...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

Jeep Steel Bumpers; https://www.jeepsteel.com/collections/jeep-1997-2006-tj/products/copy-of-07-18-jk-jku-winch-bumper-with-stinger-1

The Steel Armadillo - Jeep Commander (XK/HK) 2006-2010

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/j...catalog%2Fjeep

Also, please read this if you haven't done so already - lots of good information in here;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

Thanks and again, welcome aboard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts