Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got my Commander, and LOVE it! However while loading up my trailer to move I noticed that when the lights are on, the rear driver's side running light does not light, pass. side DOES work, perfectly.

I swapped all lamps, did not fix issue. I removed the taillights and found an aftermarket trailer light adapter (A potential Score, if functional) It is a nice one with matching weatherproof connectors, no messy splicing. Even so I completely removed it from the circuit, making it 100% original, and the problem continued.

It is wet and cold here in MI, but I crawled under the back end, and nothing looked mangled to me. I also verified all fuses, no problem there either.

I get the feeling this is a common problem, as I've read about it here, and funny enough my dad's 08 GC RME does the same thing. I'm hoping for a solution not involving a dealer, these are taillights for heaven's sakes.

Sorry about the wall of test, in short, it's NOT: bulbs, fuses, or trailer light adapter. What's left to check?

Quick Stats:
2006 Commander
3.7L V6
65th edition
Non-Nav, Non HID lights, pretty basic.

Thanks in Advance!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had this issue twice and it turned out to be a faulty trailer light wiring harness both times. if you look under the Jeep you will notice a black box about the size of a deck of cards. If you unhook this from the rear brake lights and hook up the lights the way they were prior to the harness install they should then work. If they work after the harness is unhooked you have proven you have a faulty harness. I hope this solves your troubles as it is the cheapest fix.

·
Registered
83 Posts
sorry i miss read your above post. You have looked into the most common problems already. I cannot help.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, unfortunately I've eliminated the trailer harness as the problem. Any and all help is appreciated, this is my first Chrysler product in years, so there are NO stupid suggestions in my thread!

·
Registered
123 Posts
have you inspect bulb socket for dirt or corrosion sometimes all it needs is to clean the bottom contacts and retightening the socket so the bulb fits tight in it,make sure you test the bulb too even if its new ,taken ground and positive from the socket with test light or multimetre

1 - 5 of 5 Posts