Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am going to replace the front dash speakers, I have the Boston System, I like it allot but I feel like it has no treble, even when its turn all the way up in the audio settings.

I was going to order these: http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?I=1083022C&g=400&s=0&cc=01&secure=off&s=0&cc=01

The crutchfield guys said the infinity tweeters are very bright, so it sounds exactly what I am looking for.

Has anyone replaced just the dash speakers and noticed a difference? Anyone know the impedance of the Boston system speakers?

·
Registered
717 Posts
rubicontrail.net said:
I haven't heard this complaint before. I think everyone else is complaining of the lack on the low end, not the high end.
I have the Boston system too....I think that the treble could be a little "brighter"

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Considering there are no tweeters in the system, I think adding these 2 way speakers will definitely help the situation.

I feel that the mids and lows are taken care of pretty well, unless you like lots and lots of base.

Now the back seat, there is a problem, audio sucks back there, thanks goodness i don't have to sit back there ;) I think i will leave that alone and keep the change.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I totally agree. My BA system sounds very bassy, not in a good way, and very muddy. Just added a sub so I can turn the bass down in the system to clear up the mud some, but I'm also thinking of changing out the dash speakers. I had 3.5" Fosgate speakers in my last car, made a huge difference.

Please let us know the results after you do this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I installed the Infinity Reference series speakers in my last car ('99 ford). The mids and highs sound absolutely amazing. The low end on the other hand.... I would also recommend an external amp. I ran mine for about a year without one and they sounded great. I added a 50x4 amp last year and it was like I replaced the entire system! It really made a huge difference.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Initial reports say this was a great investment. I actually had to turn down the treble on the head unit this afternoon cause it was too loud. Music doesn't sound muddy anymore, really happy with it.

pics comparing the speakers coming soon.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are pics comparing the speakers:

the infinity magnet is bigger and it has a tweeter, the entire construction of the cone is also much better.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Kyle, how did you install the speakers? I'm assuming the grilles pop out and the speakers attach to them, but I want to be sure before I start tearing into my dash. I just picked up the same speakers and wiring adapters from Best Buy, same price as Crutchfield's.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
super super easy, i used an old credit card to pop up the grill, 2 screws, undo the harness and screw the new ones in, pop the grills back on.

ONE PROBLEM I noticed today, when its cloudy the silver tweeter reflects on the windshield, thats probably why the old speakers had that black netting over it. I will have to get some material like that to place between the speaker and grill, or maybe just cut it off the old speakers.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Thanks, I'll just color the tweeter with some black marker or paint before installing them.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Speakers are in, they sound much better than the stock speakers and had to turn the treble down as well.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I went with JL Audio in the dash, very happy with them, then put MTX 3way 6x9 in the front doors. Cleared the sound up tremendously. I will say though, be careful changing the door speakers, if I did not have a sub, I would not be happy with the results, however since I do have a 12" sub I am very very pleased with the results.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Dash speakers, Try MB Quart DKE-108 3.5"

I installed the MB Quart DKE-108 in the dash......I found these to be more personal and vocals come out more.....The Infinity speakers; I don't care for the scratchy tweeter........I purchased the DKE-108 from Ebay $45 total w/ shipping....made a big difference, you can add more mid and highs as needed.......but now the door speakers muddy bass really stands out.....I am soon to replace both front and rear doors with MB Quart PCE-216 6.5" coaxials....this will bring the music to life.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I installed the Infinity 3 1/2's in the dash and man what a diiference it made I had to turn the treble way down it hurt my ears.

The Front Doors I have Polk 6x9's and the rear I have Polk 6 1/2's I can not believe how much better my system sounds now.

I also have an alpine deck with Ipod adapter.

Now I only need to get a sub and have been looking at what some of you have done alot of options for this vehicle!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts