Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was at the tire shop yesterday and noticed this new tire they had on display. The tread pattern seems to be very aggressive however it only comes in limited sizes for the 17 inch wheel.

265/70R17
35x12.5R17

I think they would look awsome on the commander!!!!

I believe that they are a Goodyear product.

http://www.fiercetires.com/tires/attitude-mt/

·
Registered
127 Posts
They are a Kelly product (Goodyear), I'm sure pricing should be decent, but I'm not so sure about running a 10 ply tire on the XK. I'll stick with the 6ply Duratracs that I'm installing tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Those look really nice but I bet they are pretty loud. Even compared to other M/T's

·
Registered
145 Posts
Those look really nice but I bet they are pretty loud. Even compared to other M/T's
They might not be as loud as you are thinking because the tred pattern brakes the air flow from side to side up pretty good. The reason that tires wine is because there is air movement all the way across the foot print while in motion.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are a Kelly product (Goodyear), I'm sure pricing should be decent, but I'm not so sure about running a 10 ply tire on the XK. I'll stick with the 6ply Duratracs that I'm installing tomorrow.
Pricing is about the same as the Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar. Where did you find info on the ply's?

I love loud mud tires!!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Pricing is about the same as the Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar. Where did you find info on the ply's?

Don't think I would take a Fierce over the MT/R's for the same price. No comparison from a quality standpoint. I found the ply info on the link provided.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't think I would take a Fierce over the MT/R's for the same price. No comparison from a quality standpoint. I found the ply info on the link provided.
I must be losing my mind. I couldnt find it anywhere on that link I provided.

·
Registered
127 Posts
After you click the link, below the tire desrciption there are 3 links to click "sizes features specs"

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After you click the link, below the tire desrciption there are 3 links to click "sizes features specs"
Clicked on all of that and didn't find it anywhere. Can you be more specific?

I read online last night that the actual height of the tire is 31.9 inches. Which is the same as my MT/R's. Not that it matters.

Also I was quoted 239 per tire mounted/balanced.

·
Banned
68 Posts
i used a tire calculator. i didn't look for the specs on their website. i guess they are made by kelly / goodyear.

are you MT/R's worn out already?

walmart installs tires and then gives you a lifetime balance and rotation for about $9.50 per tire. i've been doing that with my BFG's every 6000 miles. i have about 50K miles on them with 1/4 tread left. i thought about changing brands but, they wear really well so i think i'll stick with them.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i used a tire calculator. i didn't look for the specs on their website. i guess they are made by kelly / goodyear.

are you MT/R's worn out already?

walmart installs tires and then gives you a lifetime balance and rotation for about $9.50 per tire. i've been doing that with my BFG's every 6000 miles. i have about 50K miles on them with 1/4 tread left. i thought about changing brands but, they wear really well so i think i'll stick with them.
No, the MT/R's have plenty of tread on them. My little brother had gone to the tire store and seen them so he told me to check them out. I was just curious as to how much they were so they gave me a quote on the tires.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont have any problems with my 8 ply MT/R's.

I think there are a few members with 10 ply tires that arent having any issues either.

A lot of us do some hardcore off roading with our XK's and need the extra ply's.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I dont have any problems with my 8 ply MT/R's.

I think there are a few members with 10 ply tires that arent having any issues either.

A lot of us do some hardcore off roading with our XK's and need the extra ply's.

Really the only issue is ride quality with a 10 ply tire. Just makes the ride more harsh over "sharp" bumps.
Besides, it is not the actual plys in the tire, just a rating. While wheeling, if one happens to rub the sidewall on a sharp rock, doesn't matter if its a 6 or 10 ply tire, rock will go thru.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Really the only issue is ride quality with a 10 ply tire. Just makes the ride more harsh over "sharp" bumps.
Besides, it is not the actual plys in the tire, just a rating. While wheeling, if one happens to rub the sidewall on a sharp rock, doesn't matter if its a 6 or 10 ply tire, rock will go thru.
Haha, not when your running Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's with Kevlar reinforced sidewalls!!!!:rofl:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Haha, not when your running Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's with Kevlar reinforced sidewalls!!!!:rofl:
I am going to try to get through the winter on my (4 only no spare) stock tires and get new tires in the spring, Side wall damage has been an issue with me in the past with other vehicles ...

These tires sound like a great choice for me, do you what size will fit on a stock commander with zero rubbing and do you have a link to the ones you are running? (and a pic of them on your Commander maybe?)

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am going to try to get through the winter on my (4 only no spare) stock tires and get new tires in the spring, Side wall damage has been an issue with me in the past with other vehicles ...

These tires sound like a great choice for me, do you what size will fit on a stock commander with zero rubbing and do you have a link to the ones you are running? (and a pic of them on your Commander maybe?)
They make them in a 245/70R17 that should fit fine on a stock commander without rubbing. If you wanted to be on the safe side you could always install some 1/4 inch spacers up front. Im sure robby could help you out with those if need be.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Wrangler+MT/R+with+Kevlar

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Thanks! ... I love 'em :) I printed the page and stuck it up on the wall of my office

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks! ... I love 'em :) I printed the page and stuck it up on the wall of my office
I love them too. It snowed here the other day and they performed very well for a M/T. I'll be running these tires again in a larger size once my current ones are bald.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Sorry to chime in late but I am in love with my Cooper Discoverer STT tires. They have a serious mud tread and howl like crazy. Love it!!! BTW, they are a 10 ply tire running at 50 psi.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts