Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I don't own a Jeep.....yet, I'm hoping that will change soon :) I'm about to purchase a Commander in the upcoming week (my first Jeep and SUV) and I've settled on one that I think is perfect for what I am looking for. It’s a 2006 Commander Limited, has 35K miles, V8 (non Hemi) and selling for 17K. Is this a fair price? Mileage too high? Are there any things to look out for when buying this model? I've included a link at the bottom that gives details about the car like options, price, etc. Thank for the help guys, I look forward to becoming an active member!
-Abe

http://www.farrishdodgejeep.net/used-inventory/vehicle-details.htm?vehicleId=32edc21f7f0000010158473e781ad223

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
That is the same vehicle I have, I tried trading it in for new one they wanted to give me 11K for mine. I bet you could get them down to 14-15K good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is the same vehicle I have, I tried trading it in for new one they wanted to give me 11K for mine. I bet you could get them down to 14-15K good luck.
Hi Ranger, so you think I could get it for 14-15K?? If you can provide any tips on how to accomplish that I would really appreicate it. Also any things I should check out more closely prior to purchase?

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Telling him what your willing to spend. You don't have to justify the amount, your the one buying. Get a vehicle report, to assure that it has not had major problems or was in wreck they did not tell ya about.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Abe, I am with ranger on this. I think you could probably get them down at least $1000 or so. There is not much to look for on these. I notice that it has the sunroofs and there have been some issues with the drains for the sunroof clogging and running into the passenger compartment. There have been some safety recall's on some items so be sure all of those have been fixed.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hey guys,

I don't own a Jeep.....yet, I'm hoping that will change soon :) I'm about to purchase a Commander in the upcoming week (my first Jeep and SUV) and I've settled on one that I think is perfect for what I am looking for. It’s a 2006 Commander Limited, has 35K miles, V8 (non Hemi) and selling for 17K. Is this a fair price? Mileage too high? Are there any things to look out for when buying this model? I've included a link at the bottom that gives details about the car like options, price, etc. Thank for the help guys, I look forward to becoming an active member!
-Abe

http://www.farrishdodgejeep.net/used-inventory/vehicle-details.htm?vehicleId=32edc21f7f0000010158473e781ad223
My '06 XK experienced the following, that has been mentioned fairly often on this forum:

-Drain tube issues w/ the pillars leaking water into the interior.
-Taillights fogged up w/ moisture.
-Battery went bad after 30K miles.
-Rear suspension squeaked (brought it in twice; some part near the shocks/springs was replaced).
-Window regulators (try to roll them up, and then by halfway, they decide to go down by themselves).
-Transmission leak (gasket around the oil pan).

I'd demand for the 'high dollar' offer they make to you, that you demand an extended warranty. After 36K, you're SOL (So Out of Luck)!!! Good luck... it's a great vehicle, w/ lil kinks here and there...

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Welcome, I agree with XJJeep06, tell them you want he extended warranty and try to get $1,000 lower price. Wiht the miles you stated most if not all issues should have already been addressed and fixed. I too have an 06 and it has NEVER ler me down.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input gentlemen, I plan on going to the dealer this weekend with the ammunition you guys provided so wish me luck. Is the navi system in the Commander any good?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Thanks for all the input gentlemen, I plan on going to the dealer this weekend with the ammunition you guys provided so wish me luck. Is the navi system in the Commander any good?
I like it. Update DVD's are available but some people have complained about the price. They are around $200. I haven't updated mine. I can live with a few road changes.

It is a very nicely equipped XK, and the miles on it aren't bad for an 06. Just try not to drool too much and keep the smile on the small side. If you get a good deal, there's time to grin ear to ear later.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Abe, what was it that made you decide the commander for your first Jeep/SUV?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Abe, what was it that made you decide the commander for your first Jeep/SUV?
Well I always had been smitten with Jeeps, ever since I saw my first Renegade; my infatuation with jeeps is mainly due to their boxy look, their long lasting heritage, and their ruggedness. I recently married and have plans to start a family, with that said I needed a vehicle with more room that was safe, reliable, and had all the amenities and creature comforts one needed on long road trips; the Commander fit that bill to a T for me. All my uncles drive the import SUVs (BMW X5, Mercedes ML, Lexus RX), I didn’t want one that was too curvy and feminine looking like the ones stated above (just my opinion, If I offended any one sorry). The Commander encompasses all that is right in a SUV

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
I think this would be a good catch phrase for the Commander: "Jeep Commander - Think inside the box."© (yes, I am copywriting it so I can get billions from Chrysler:))

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
^ I really like that!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would be sure to get some kind of extended warrenty, cause the factory is about to end and I bet there is nothing cheap to repair on these things. I also think you can beat the price. I have seen brand new 07 sell for $20K.

·
Registered
451 Posts
EXTENDED Warranty! Lots of times that can be a bargain point.... Or at least a certified used vehicle. That will get you the power train covered.... till 80,000

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Abe?

As I read your questions, at no time (unless my age is really showing) have you mentioned 4wd.

I'm assuming it is, but we all know that assuming can ruin your day.
The price point sounds like 4x4 but....do be sure.

Good luck,
Rob
With all the mix ups lately, I was wondering the same thing. But looking at the pictures on the dealer sight, it has 4wd, with a 4LO lever. Doesn't look like QDII, looks like QTII.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts