Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all,

Im Tom from Milwaukee. I don't have a commander yet but preparing to start doing some shopping. I found a few Commanders that I like but wanted to find info on what I should look for when out shopping. This will be my very first Jeep, and first Chrysler product for that matter. Any tips/leads will be appreciated. Hopefully, I find the right truck and start learning alot about these trucks so I can help out in the future.

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
130 Posts
HI all,

Im Tom from Milwaukee. I don't have a commander yet but preparing to start doing some shopping. I found a few Commanders that I like but wanted to find info on what I should look for when out shopping. This will be my very first Jeep, and first Chrysler product for that matter. Any tips/leads will be appreciated. Hopefully, I find the right truck and start learning alot about these trucks so I can help out in the future.

Thanks,
Tom
Thats exactly the position I was in about a month ago. Did a lot of research and looked at quite a few commanders looking for the right deal...

I ended up with a 4.7 2006. I like it a lot but cant help but wonder how much better off I would have been with a V6 in terms of mpg.

As far as common issues, I dont know of many. Sun roofs tend to leak I guess? Electrical systems can be whacky and take a lot of time to diagnose and get sorted... Wheel sensors...

·
Registered
451 Posts
I bought my 09 Hemi new and I have only had one minor issue with it at 7k, the dealer re-flashed the ECU and all is good.

I have 25k on it right now and I'm getting ready to do a complete service to it in a couple of weeks. Its time for new plugs and some fluid changes.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I went from an 2008 V6 to a 2010 Hemi and I would never suggest getting the V6. I do not think the V6 has close to enough power for how heavy the Commander is...

Many people think its better MPG with the V6 but it uses so much to pull the load. I suggest getting the 4.7 or 5.7 as you will not regret it no matter what you plan to use the commander for. I am still learning about this truck as well but thats my 2 cents

Let us know what you end up getting!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd say if you're looking at Commanders you're probably not too overly concerned about MPG. A couple months ago I bought a 2007 Jeep Commander Limited, loaded with the optional 5.7 HEMI. I highly suggest the HEMI.

My jeep has the performance of a sports car, the towing capacity of a full-sized truck, the seating arrangement of a full-sized SUV and the off-road capabilities of a Jeep, all in one vehicle. It's amazing. The price you pay is MPG. It's a trade-off.

Additionally, by word-of-mouth I heard the V6 has issues, especially the earlier models. (My brother-in-law knows guys who work for Chrysler and he said "as long as it's not a V6.") Take that with a grain of salt and do your own research.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, guys.

I will only get one with either the 4.7 or Hemi. I'm coming out of a 2003 Crown Victoria so getting that heavy of a truck with the V6 just isn't happening.

I found a 2006 Limited with 55K with the 4.7 V8 they are asking 17,900 sale price. Is that a decent price for these trucks?? Seems like it is pretty well loaded.

I've never had a Jeep before, I suppose my uses will be 90% daily driver, I am a 911 operator and I am a Must report essential employee even if its the worst snow storm of the century, LOL!! So I want 4WD. But once I get into the swing of things around here, I could see maybe researching some trails and getting my feet wet doing some off-roading.

How capable are these things pretty much stock?? I don't know that I would lift it or anything like that, but would probably like to get it off road a few times someday.

·
Registered
130 Posts
As far as a good deal goes, $17000 does not sound like one for a 2006.

I just bought my 4.7 2006 Limited with 85,000 miles on it (In very very good condition) for $10,999. Granted, My miles are higher by about 30,000... But a good vehicle is a good vehicle regardless of mileage imo.

I think you could find a much much better deal than that for that price range. Try Autotrader.com or even craigslist. and good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As far as a good deal goes, $17000 does not sound like one for a 2006.

I just bought my 4.7 2006 Limited with 85,000 miles on it (In very very good condition) for $10,999. Granted, My miles are higher by about 30,000... But a good vehicle is a good vehicle regardless of mileage imo.

I think you could find a much much better deal than that for that price range. Try Autotrader.com or even craigslist. and good luck.
I honestly think you may have stumbled on the deal of the century. I did NADA and KBB on the truck just out of curiosity. NADA is at 18,900 for retail and KBB is at $20,013. Running it with 85K dropped it too 16,600 on NADA and 17,213 on KBB. I will definitely keep looking to see if I can find a better deal, but you should be proud, It sounds to me like you practically stole the truck for that price.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Autotrader.com is how I found the deal, but found a bunch of great leads on craigslist too. You can narrow down the distance of the deal and filter by price....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Coming from a family whose owned Jeeps since the 70s, I suggest the HEMI. I bought mine of eBay to be honest and got a hell of a deal. Bought with 76k limited every option but rear entertainment, navi and back up cam. I wont disclose how much I paid cause of the deal I got but its waaaay less then the one you are looking at.. One thing to keep in mind KBB and NADA dont take in consideration of gas prices, people are dumping these things cause of it, I didnt care and still dont about mpg. I also recommend on getting a spacer lift at least and some bigger tires, it gives the XK a much better stance. As far as known problems, Ive only had to change front diff bushings including isolator bracket and routine stuff. Maintenance records would be nice with any vehicle purchase. If you do look on eBay, make sure you have either a trusted mechanic to inspect the vehicle or prepare to do PPI or pre purchase inspection at a local dealership where the car is located, this is will take any fear out of the deal and you are insured up to 1million thru paypal anyways.. Good luck with search, choosing an XK is the right choice!!!

·
Registered
862 Posts
So, you're a 911 man. :) I'm in communications too. The other end of it... I work on dispatch systems.

Snow? If it's grill deep, it won't care. I plowed through snow while heading for a radio site 2 years ago. The snow was 3 feet deep. That was the second day I owned the XK, and it still had factory "baldies" on it. :) The only problem I had was the alternator light came on. I opened the hood and the entire engine bay was packed SOLID with snow! I was doing about 25 MPH through that deep snow, and was about a mile off the highway. I dug it all out and went slower after that, and no more problems. (The snow actually stalled everything on the serpentine belt)

The V6 does work too hard, and more importantly, you don't have low range with a V6 and/or QT I system. For off-roading, you want a low range for a number of reasons.

IMHO, I think $18k is too steep for an '06.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts