Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I'm new here and considering picking up a Commander in the near future. I was wondering if any of the v8 Commanders have part time 4wd or if they're all full time? Only because I don't need 4wd all the time. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
167 Posts
They're all full time 4wd. If you don't need it you won't even notice it. The full time 4wd systems are really solid for normal driving conditions.

Having had Jeeps in full and part time 4wd, I very much prefer full time for all non-hardcore type off-road rigs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you done any off-roading? How are they? I'm not a hardcore trail guy but do occasionally like to go wheeling.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Have you done any off-roading? How are they? I'm not a hardcore trail guy but do occasionally like to go wheeling.
I do mild to medium wheeling and the QDII system in my Jeep is awesome. The normal full-time 4wd is more than enough for most of what I do. The 4 low will turn the Commander into a goat. It's quite impressive the way a 6 thousand pound vehicle will clamber up really steep inclines with aplomb. I have Hankook tires and in tandem with QDII I find my Jeep capable of all I've asked it to do.

·
Registered
167 Posts

Not in my XK. Just a few Forest service roads so far.

In my old full time 4wd ZJ I got around pretty well and was always impressed with its offroad performance. And that was with a QTII if I recall. The QDII is even better.

Of course I'm also comparing a SFA to an IFS vehicle, but you get the point... Simply having full time 4wd does not mean it's a bad thing.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I do a good bit of intermediate trails in my stock XK Hemi. No problems yet, you usually just need to use common sense on the trail.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts