Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, I'm Bruce from Minneapolis, Minnesota. I bought a 2007 Commander with 67,500 miles last September from a friend who's owned it since new. I wasn't really in the market, but I did want something that had decent towing capabilities and I had always liked his Commander, so when he offered up a great deal, I had to jump on it. The previous owner is pretty loaded, therefore my new (to me) Commander is as well. Overland, Hemi, DVD, backup camera, power liftgate, Boston Acoustics, auto wipers, etc. Maybe a lot of that stuff is included in the Overland package? I need to do more research and learn about this stuff.

Other than a couple blingy add-ons he did (sill plates, chrome gas door), it's bone stock, plus a Mopar(?) roof rack. I'm interested in some minor intake and exhaust mods, and maybe a chip programmer thingy, but no immediate plans other than to change the oil again (I put 5W-30 in it recently, then learned on this forum I really need to stick with 5W-20).

It's my first true four-wheel drive vehicle (only an AWD Saturn Vue previously) and it sure was fun last winter...but it was so good in the snow it was on the verge of being boring. In a good way. I hope to take it on some mild trails in the near future, but I need to figure out the state regulations and licensing for that first.

I'm slowly coming to grips with the fact that a 345 cubic-inch V8 pushing around 5000+ pounds is going to have terrible fuel "economy," and once I can accept that, I'll enjoy it even more.

No pics at this point, but I'll try to rectify that.

[edited for clarity]

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Hey all, I'm Bruce from Minneapolis, Minnesota. I bought a 2007 Commander with 67,500 miles last September from a friend who's owned it since new. I wasn't really in the market, but I did want something that had decent towing capabilities and I had always liked his Commander, so when he offered up a great deal, I had to jump on it. The previous owner is pretty loaded, therefore my new (to me) Commander is as well. Overland, Hemi, DVD, backup camera, power liftgate, Boston Acoustics, auto wipers, etc. Maybe a lot of that stuff is included in the Overland package? I need to do more research and learn about this stuff.

Other than a couple blingy add-ons he did (sill plates, chrome gas door), it's bone stock, plus a Mopar(?) roof rack. I'm interested in some minor intake and exhaust mods, and maybe a chip programmer thingy, but no immediate plans other than to change the oil again (I put 5W-30 in it recently, then learned on this forum I really need to stick with 5W-20).

It's my first true four-wheel drive vehicle (only an AWD Saturn Vue previously) and it sure was fun last winter...but it was so good in the snow it was on the verge of being boring. In a good way. I hope to take it on some mild trails in the near future, but I need to figure out the state regulations and licensing for that first.

I'm slowly coming to grips with the fact that a 345 cubic-inch V8 pushing around 5000+ pounds is going to have terrible fuel "economy," and once I can accept that, I'll enjoy it even more.

No pics at this point, but I'll try to rectify that.

[edited for clarity]
@doesgo;

Welcome to the forum; Post some pics of your Commander when you can.

Here are some links to help you out if you want to do upgrades or repairs to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ukey_make=1064

Cheapest factory Parts: Find OEM BMW, Fiat, Ford, GM, Mopar, Nissan, Subaru & Toyota Parts & Accessories

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - http://www.justforjeeps.com/?gclid=C...9i0hoCSS7w_wcB

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - http://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjw...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

The Steel Armadillo - Jeep Commander (XK/HK) 2006-2010

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/j...catalog%2Fjeep

Also, please read this if you haven't done so already - lots of good information in here;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

Thanks and again, welcome aboard.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks @Big Blue! I'll post some pics when I get a chance and will check out the links you posted as well. I love your Commander, by the way. Quite a list of mods you have!

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Thanks @Big Blue! I'll post some pics when I get a chance and will check out the links you posted as well. I love your Commander, by the way. Quite a list of mods you have!
Thanks.....it took me 4 years to get to this point, but, I'm not done yet....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Like your commander - just like mine (same year with overland package), except mine if silver.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Like your commander - just like mine (same year with overland package), except mine if silver.
So, I have to ask @Chaos4 - what drove you to show up here today and welcome every new member to the forum, out of the blue, after a 9 year slumber??

Finally trying to get your post count up?

Better late than never I guess.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, you guessed it. I admit I have not participated here for a long time, had some major life changes recently so focus has changed. Your commander looks great by the way!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stock except for a leveling kit and rear shocks. Still thinking of a lift, but money is tight...
I hear ya. I'd like to do a few things also, like a 2" lift, cat-back system, and intake system, but it'll all have to wait. I'm really happy with it stock, so waiting isn't that tough.

Is the leveling kit for towing? What rear shocks do you have?

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Yes, you guessed it. I admit I have not participated here for a long time, had some major life changes recently so focus has changed. Your commander looks great by the way!
Well thanks and welcome back.

Like I said @Chaos4, better late than never. :wink3:

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I hear ya. I'd like to do a few things also, like a 2" lift, cat-back system, and intake system, but it'll all have to wait. I'm really happy with it stock, so waiting isn't that tough.

Is the leveling kit for towing? What rear shocks do you have?
The leveling kit just raises the front end so it's at the same height as the rear in order to get rid of the nose down, factory stance.

It really has nothing to do with towing, just levels it out and gives the front end more ground clearance.

The 2 inch Rough Country lift kit, is actually a leveling lift - it raises the front about 3 1/2 inches and the rear about 2 inches, thus lifting your XK and leveling it out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts