Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would someone like to volunteer to write a post that would become a sticky in this thread...

I am looking for a post that would start out like the title and then answer the basic questions that are asked a dozen times a week...

What lifts are available? Do I need spacers? What is the biggest tire I can run without a lift? Can I use bigger rims (i.e. 20")? etc.

Any volunteers?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I would like to do it but I may not have the time to gather the proper information in the next week or two. Is this an ASAP project?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this an ASAP project?
No, I would rather someone took their time and did a good job answering the questions then just throw another post up.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
This is a good idea. There are a lot of variations so it would take some time and maybe a few folks to collaborate on it.

You have the minimal approach to max 2.5 inch and then the big lifts.

I suppose if you could cover the variations up to the 2-2.5" range that would be a lot. People who want to go real big can do more research.

I could see something published that would document:
...1) no lift but bigger tires
...2) lift and no spacers
...3) lift and spacers with no trimming
...4) lift, spacers, trimming

Then there is the new wheels with appropriate offset to avoid spacers.
This could get really involved even just figuring 17" wheels, then add taller wheels too.

Maybe I'll put together a little outline or matrix and send it to Adamag25 for him to consider building upon...or anyone else for that matter.

Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Is this specifically going to be for Lift,wheel,tire, and spacer questions or is it going to cover all of the XK FAQ?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Is this specifically going to be for Lift,wheel,tire, and spacer questions or is it going to cover all of the XK FAQ?
Just my opinion, but I think the lift, wheel, tire, and spacer questions would be enough...for this sticky, anyway.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lifts, spacers, Wheels & Tires only for this thread.

Other "Quick Reads" could be created in other threads if desired!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Why not use the the Phunkey poll.....on tires lifts etc.......
Someone asks a ??? send them there.........then they can see the various combinations. When someone asks....send them there.

We could call them FAQ's!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Why not use the the Phunkey poll.....on tires lifts etc.......
Someone asks a ??? send them there.........then they can see the various combinations. When someone asks....send them there.

We could call them FAQ's!
Yes, we should send them there but there will still be questions.

I'm working on a decision table format that would show the options. With 3 variables (lift/no lift, spacer/no spacer, and trim or no trim) there are (2x2x2) 8 possible combinations of applying them. With each combination, there will be different maximum heights of tires and possibly different maximum tire widths.

I'm almost done with a little outline that I will send Adamag25 (and anyone else that wants it) to give food for thought on how to present this topic on a sticky.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I will do it or maybe GP and I can work together once I see what he comes up with but as I said before it is probably going to take me some time to do it. Most people know the size that they want to lift and the wheels and tires are where they have questions. Here is the basic format I was thinking of and then we can include little notes about trim and no trim and all those details specific to each setup.

1. Available wheels
A.17" wheels
B.18" wheels
C.20" wheels
D.20+" wheels

2. Available lifts an sizes
A.BDS 2" spacer lift
B.Rocky Road 2.25" spacer lift
C.Old Man Emu 2" spring lift

3. Stock ride height 0" lift
A.Tire sizes available on 17" wheels with and without spacers
B.Tire sizes available on 18" wheels with and without spacers
C.Tire sizes available on 20" wheels with and without spacers
D.Tire sizes available on other popular wheel sizes with and without spacers

4. Modified ride height 2" lift

5. Modified ride height 2.25 - 2.5" lift

6. Modified ride height 3.5" lift

7. Modified ride height 4" lift

8. Modified ride height custom 5" lift

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Make a sticky thread called FAQ's

Then say: Before you ask, search it!
The problem with saying that is you are not going to get the same amount of new threads started asking the same questions and you will also seem unfriendly to new members.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
If you dont have the time to do it adamag25 I'd be more then happy to help out. I have all the time in the world now that I am on Transitional Leave. I find times during the day that I just want to hop in the XK and go wheeling but unfortunately there is not anywhere to go here.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
If you dont have the time to do it adamag25 I'd be more then happy to help out. I have all the time in the world now that I am on Transitional Leave. I find times during the day that I just want to hop in the XK and go wheeling but unfortunately there is not anywhere to go here.
You can take it and I can help you out or the other way around. If you would like to gather info and give it to me then I can work on the layout. If you would like to get started on it right away then you are welcome to take on the job.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Well If you can give me an example of the layout you guys would like Ill have it done tonight. Its going to take me a few hours but Id love to do it. If its ok with everyone on the forum, i'd even like to include members photo's on their XK's with various lifts/tire packages. Also just let me know what you want the title of the thread to be.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Well If you can give me an example of the layout you guys would like Ill have it done tonight. Its going to take me a few hours but Id love to do it. If its ok with everyone on the forum, i'd even like to include members photo's on their XK's with various lifts/tire packages. Also just let me know what you want the title of the thread to be.
Hi 07JeepXK,

As far as I'm concerned that's fine. In case Adamag25 doesn't get back with you right away, my impression is that he's fine with it if you want to do it.

I put together an outline and sent it to Adamag25, but it was a little too involved I think. I might have gotten carried away.

His outline that he put up above is fine with me if you want to get started. I suppose if you have a different structure in mind, that would be fine as well.

It's good that you have the time.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Our web site shows guaranteed fitments when you search by vehicle (no rubbing). These fitments are based on stock the suspension (no lift unless indicated). Our guide is on the conservative side due to tires not all being exactly the same size. Also keep in mind when writing something like this you are going to want to take into account tire manufacturer's rim width recommendations. Example: You do not want to put a 35x12.50R17 on an 8" wheel. Tire manufacturers recommend an 8.5" width at minimum this information can be found on each tire manufacturers web site and for the most part is the same. Although I do not have the time to write something like this for you, I may be able to help with some info and direction on where to find it. Please let me know if I can help.

-Travis

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Well I'm going to start working on it now. Hopefully what I'm doing is what you guys had in mind. Once I make the thread let me know if I made any mistakes so I can edit the information. Its going to take a little while since ill be adding pictures to the thread.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts