Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
figured i would stop in and say hello.

i own a company (F.R.I.) that works with the new hemi engines. we have a jeep commander we will be doing some work to soon and figured i would stop in here and let yall know about it.

we offer basic mods for the motors like ported heads and camshafts. any other item that is available for the vehicle we can get also.

any questions? give me a shout...

steve

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Welcome, look forward to hearing about new and innovative ideas, How about saving us some gas mileage?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Where are you located? And as the above poster indicated, how about some means to improve gas mileage. Powerwise I am more then happy with the Hemi as is, but sure would like to get 20mpg at least on the highway. john

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well.
one of our first lx platforms, a magnum with a 5.7 hemi, has been able to make a consistent 28-29 mpg on roadtrips.

this was a heads/cam package.

i can make the same mods work opn the jeep if i can determine if you guys have a superchips tuner or a diablo available. i know the diablo is available for the 5.7 jeep cherokee..just dont know if it works on the commander yet.

steve

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
gremlinsteve said:
well.
one of our first lx platforms, a magnum with a 5.7 hemi, has been able to make a consistent 28-29 mpg on roadtrips.

steve
The Commander is way heavier than the magnum. What was the mpg on the stock engine.

·
Registered
588 Posts
gremlinsteve said:
oh..and we are located in houston texas.

would any one be interested in shorty headers?

steve
I'm moving to Las Cruces first of the year, have to drive thru Houston on the way. I always hate that portion of the trip. Have tried Rte 10 thru Houston various different times, always busy as all get out. john

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no doubt they are heavy. heck, the magnum is coming in at 4700 pounds.
still no where near what a commander should weigh.

houston traffic is bad. even at 2am its almost intolerable.

steve

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the cam we used in the magnum's that has shown to help the mileage runs a short duration. more than the stock shafts and more lift but in the end you can drive the vehicle anywhere as its almost not even noticable.

212/212 with 525 lift.

no lope at idle what so ever and the gans are about 45 rhp and an average of 3 mpg.

some cars have gotten about 2-2.5 mpg and some higher that the 3.

in the end, the crs, while not a jeep commander, have shown enough improvement that any one who has moved into that mode has agreed. its the way the hemi should have come from mopar.

the mds operation is the same with the jeep/car platforms. i see absolutly no reason to believe that if this cam was installed in a jeep commander the mileage and power would increase by the same amount as the car platform. the jeeps intake is the same as the car btw.

i again will check but i know that the jeep cherokee ses the same motor and share the same chasis. the commander is longer and is using a welded on frame extension attached to the cherokee chasis.

i have not seen the diablo for the cherokee yet, but again, i will start asking abou it. the holidays are here. i am sure that i wont have an answer till the new year is on us.

i have one local vehicle to test with. if any one else wants to try one, lemme know. you might be suprised.

steve-o

·
Registered
480 Posts
Where are you located? I would be willing to test.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Didn't see the houston post. How long would the testing take? would a week or two do?

·
Registered
190 Posts
gremlinsteve said:
houston traffic is bad. even at 2am its almost intolerable.

steve
I grew up in the Houston area and I'm now living in the DC area. One thing Houston has is a good highway system. I'll take Houston traffic over DC traffic any day.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
I have my commander sitting in my garage on a trickle charger, if you need something to test on maybe we could work something out. Let me know, I will not need it again until April. Any superchargers? My Jeep is just outside Omaha Nebraska.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
we just designed and have started m,aking headers for the lx cars..
its just as easy for us to do them for the jeep commander btw.

im sure we can come up with something for a supercharger crowd.

any one else have any specific wants or needs?

steve

·
Registered
193 Posts
Steve,
Do you spend time in the Phoenix area? I think I have seen you on the Arizona Virtual Jeep Club's website. Just wondering.
Also, I would be interested in:
-Headers
-Non-Plastic intake Manifold (just seems weird to me.:confused: )
-Any type of performance tuning...MPG or HP/Torque
-Superchargers (even though I probably couldn't afford one, LOL)
-And, am I crazy to even mention a propane conversion? :eek:

Thanks! I look forward to see what you come up with for us performance deprived SUV drivers.
-AJ, aka 'LeftArmTan'

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys and girls... I work with Steve and will try to answer some questions that have been presented...

Tuning: We have successfully hooked up a DiabloSport Predator U7135 up to the vehicle and have been able to Datalog the car. This is a plus but we are still unable to TUNE the vehicle with the Predator. I spoke to DiabloSport and it does appear it will be quite some time before we have this ability. We have talked to Dave @ B&G and we are able to send the computers to him and have them flashed to accept Heads & Cam :)

We are located on the NW Side of Houston, Tx. Our number is 877-FRI-HEMI.. Kinda easy to remember eh? We are still working on our Jeep Commander selection and looking forward to providing Products and services to the entire community as we do for the other HEMI Powered vehicles.

We can offer the 6.1L SRT Intake Manifolds onto the 5.7L motors... however we would need to do testing to insure this will work with the hood clearance...

Look forward to chatting with you all very soon. Feel free to PM us or call

Thanks
James

1 - 19 of 19 Posts