Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Jeep Overland Commander. We picked it up for the Utility part of S-U-V. :) There is virtually no need for 4x4 since this will be primarily my wife's car, and we're in Houston. I hunt, but almost never need 4x4 even then. Anyway, we have every other feature including the rear DVD/SAT TV.

So far, we love this thing. Yes, MPG sucks, but we knew that going in, and the incredible discounts on them new, off-set the fuel cost. (My M5 gets even worse MPG, so... this is actually an efficient vehicle in comparison! lol)

Anyway, the purpose of this post is to ask if there are some very common things to look for? I've loooked through the forums and have seen some random stuff like stalling, but in general, is there stuff that almost everyone sees? Is there something I should be aware of for service? Recommended oil brands? etc?

Just any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Welcome to "The Forum" Scott. Enjoy your Commander.

Watch for stalling, but also watch for your knee hitting the ignition switch and shutting you down. Turn the key fob ring side up.

What motor?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Good advice with the keys... never heard of that.

It has the 5.7l engine. Was than an option on the Overaland models?

I'm new to this vehicle, and uncharacteristically bought w/o doing a lot of research.

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
Scott in Houston said:
It has the 5.7l engine. Was than an option on the Overaland models?
Hi, Scott and welcome to the Forum. No the HEMI was not an option; it is the standard engine on the Overland. It is an option on the Limited.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the forum!! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. Yeah, the only options I recall are the rear DVD/Sat TV. We got both...

We're really enjoying this vehicle so far. It's by far the best bang for the buck out there.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
welcome to the forum from VEGAS. your wife will love the commander. we bought my wife one on new years day and she loves it. (kids do to)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Welcome, Scott - from a fellow Tex'n.

I've had mine since Feb and not had any problems with it. Before that I had a 2005 Grand with the Hemi, and didn't have any engine-related problems either. There have been a few mentions of stalling issues, but the Hemi seems to be the most solid engine available.

Other than that, just enjoy the hell out of your Jeep and get ready to be inundated with requests for pictures. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha. Thanks. Pictures to come. I have 2 black cars and one white, so I could do a Zebra stripe effect. lol

Good to hear about the Hemi being the most reliable, etc. So far, so good. It's an awesome ride. We did a short (60 mile) road trip yesterday. Wow, it's so nice. We had daughter, dog, and all kinds of gear packed up in there with plenty of room to spare.

testa, thanks from Houston. :) I was in Vegas last week. Wow, I wish we had your kind of heat. ;)
I was hoping I could win something to drive home for my wife, but oh well. hehe

I'll get pics when the cars are clean... or at least the sedans are clean. From what I understand a clean Jeep isn't necessarily a thing to be proud of... (it looks better w/ mud splattered all over right?)

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice car and beautiful home!!!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Hey Scott, welcome to the forum!!! Nice M5 too!

·
Registered
178 Posts
You have a beautiful Jeep, M5 and House. Welcome to the forum!!!

Slainte'
O'C

1 - 16 of 16 Posts