Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Black 2006 Commander Limited 4x4
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased my first Jeep, a black 2006 Commander Limited with 183K miles. Owned mainly in SC, the guys in my local shop here in MI and myself were very impressed with how clean it is underneath (rust free). It runs great and needs shocks and struts and probably the strut mounting pads. I want to add a 2-2.5" lift while they're doing the shocks and struts. Should I buy a complete spring/strut assembly for the front or just the strut? I've read some forums where replacement springs can be out of spec and make the front end sit higher than stock, but my shop owner says he hasn't experienced that. I have no idea if the original springs are worn, but the back end does sit quite a bit higher than the front. What I want is the same fender to tire gap front and back, or the back slightly higher, but definitely not the front higher than the back. If I buy a lift kit, I'd like to get slightly longer shocks. I'm not an off roader, the most off road it will see is occassional two tracks at low speeds, so I think Monroe or Gabriel shocks are fine -- I prefer to be on the cushier side vs hard. It also needs tires (badly) so I'm planning to get 265/70R17 on factory rims based on what seems to work well for others. Any and all suggestions for lift kits and shocks are greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
7,665 Posts
Just purchased my first Jeep, a black 2006 Commander Limited with 183K miles. Owned mainly in SC, the guys in my local shop here in MI and myself were very impressed with how clean it is underneath (rust free). It runs great and needs shocks and struts and probably the strut mounting pads. I want to add a 2-2.5" lift while they're doing the shocks and struts. Should I buy a complete spring/strut assembly for the front or just the strut? I've read some forums where replacement springs can be out of spec and make the front end sit higher than stock, but my shop owner says he hasn't experienced that. I have no idea if the original springs are worn, but the back end does sit quite a bit higher than the front. What I want is the same fender to tire gap front and back, or the back slightly higher, but definitely not the front higher than the back. If I buy a lift kit, I'd like to get slightly longer shocks. I'm not an off roader, the most off road it will see is occassional two tracks at low speeds, so I think Monroe or Gabriel shocks are fine -- I prefer to be on the cushier side vs hard. It also needs tires (badly) so I'm planning to get 265/70R17 on factory rims based on what seems to work well for others. Any and all suggestions for lift kits and shocks are greatly appreciated.
@Commander2112 ; Welcome to the forum;

Please read the 1st post of the New Member Required Reading thread below & complete your user profile signature as directed before you start posting any questions;

Important New Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

You provided some information, but, not everything that is needed;

This is a forum requirement and it will help us, help you.

If you need help with this task, please ask.

Thank you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts