Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to fabbing up some light bar mounts. sure would have been easier if you could buy some from the aftermarket. Anyways, 54 inch bar and 2 cubes to replace the round Hellas I had before.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Warning for everyone considering a light bar, I had this on my truck exactly 10 days and some dirtbags stole it from me. I have security cameras pointed right at it and they were done and gone in under 2 minutes. Obviously they had the right tools with them, so should you do this find some kind of tamper proof fasteners to attach it. They did more damage to my paint than the bar cost.

·
Super Moderator
5,851 Posts
Warning for everyone considering a light bar, I had this on my truck exactly 10 days and some dirtbags stole it from me. I have security cameras pointed right at it and they were done and gone in under 2 minutes. Obviously they had the right tools with them, so should you do this find some kind of tamper proof fasteners to attach it. They did more damage to my paint than the bar cost.
Jeez, where were you when that happened?

Was it a crime-prone area?

I have had mine about 9 months with no issues thankfully, but mine is on the roof secured with 9/16 aluminum bolts.

I guess it still wouldn't be too hard to get off if you had the right wrench and you were tall enough.

How did they damage your paint?

Thiefs really suck. :smiley35:

Hopefully the security cameras got a good look at them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
They stole it in my driveway. That's my security cameras. When the guy on the drivers side bent the bar towards the passenger side the bracket dented an scratched the top of the door. I live in a very secure neighborhood. I think it was someone on my street. Very strange I had it in the street adjusting the lights 3 hours earlier. I only have cameras because when we moved in 9 years ago we had a small vandalism problem. The cameras took care of it and have had no problems since then.

·
Super Moderator
5,851 Posts
They stole it in my driveway. That's my security cameras. When the guy on the drivers side bent the bar towards the passenger side the bracket dented an scratched the top of the door. I live in a very secure neighborhood. I think it was someone on my street. Very strange I had it in the street adjusting the lights 3 hours earlier. I only have cameras because when we moved in 9 years ago we had a small vandalism problem. The cameras took care of it and have had no problems since then.
Dude, that's ridiculous - in your own driveway?

Really??

I'd be taking those pictures straight to the cops.

Just out of curiosity - do you have those motion sensor security lights in your driveway?

I couldn't imagine someone standing there doing that with those security lights shining right in there face.

That looks like an IR camera, so, I'm guessing no security lights?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the driveway lights on a sensor that turns them on at dusk and off at dawn. I guess when they say criminals are stupid they mean it. I have a big sign right above their head stating they are being recorded and they either can't read or didn't care. The cameras are motion activated to cut down the time it takes to fill the DVR. No surprise the cops said without a license plate # they can't do anything, but if I aim a camera at the street all the cameras record every time a car goes down the street. Kind of a catch 22. I'll just lick my wounds and move on. Normally I park in the garage but for the last few months I've had my kids 280Z turbo charged 6.0 chevy car in there doing some work on it. I told him to take it away so I can get in the garage again.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'm so sorry for that. How many inch was?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Very sorry to hear. I would be pissed. My bar is bolted from underneath the roof. Maybe an option for you but I also drilled into my XK (it's paid off and I don't mind cutting it up).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,851 Posts
Very sorry to hear. I would be pissed. My bar is bolted from underneath the roof. Maybe an option for you but I also drilled into my XK (it's paid off and I don't mind cutting it up).

I don't see how that would really matter that much Core.

If they want the light, they are still going to get it - minus the brackets which cost next to nothing to order.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think it matters. The chances of someone stealing anything matters mostly on how quickly they can get in and out. If it is more challenging then it will deter most thieves. That is not just for Jeep parts lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wingdog, That really sucks that happened. Did you get the XK fixed and led bar replaced? This is by far the best curved led bar matched to the XK's windshield curvature in my opinion. I will have to fab something similar. Do you recall what brand/ model the led bar was? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,851 Posts
I think it matters. The chances of someone stealing anything matters mostly on how quickly they can get in and out. If it is more challenging then it will deter most thieves. That is not just for Jeep parts lol

You might have made it more challenging to get the brackets - but it's still just as easy to get the light - 2 bolts and it's gone and like I said, the brackets are cheap enough to order - probably just a few bucks.

If you are in an area that is prone to theft, I would say an after-market alarm (that goes off if you just bump the vehicle lightly) would be a better deterrent.

I know they made alarms like that 25 years ago, they probably make them with motion sensors now where if somebody even comes near your vehicle it sounds some kind of warning - which would be even better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts