Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 2” rough country lift installed. I bought a set of rubicon rims with tires to replace the corroded OEM’s that we’re on it when I bought it. Also I replaced the front struts with Monroe quick struts and the rear shocks with Monroe load leveling shocks. This is my everyday driver so I didn’t feel the need to go with OME or Bilsteins as I previously discussed about doing. This thing will see zero off roading. So with all new suspension parts I gained 3.5” in the front and 2” in the back to get it level. Super happy with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the Rough country lift was $160
The Monroe quick struts were $132/ea
The Monroe rear shocks were $100
I didn’t have to replace the insulators for the coils because they were still in good shape. I do still have to replace the sway bar link and bushings but that’s cheap and easy. I did pay someone to install it all because I didn’t have the time for it so that was another couple hundred bucks. Drives straight and smooth now too, gonna get an alignment next week just to be safe though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That is the exact set-up that I have recently purchased, Glad to know it looks good. I have not yet bought my new tires and rims yet though, what size tires did you go with? Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the tires are 245/75/R17. Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor’s they are the tires that came with the rubicon rims. They are actually not as knobby as the M/T’s which is nice for me cause this car stays on surface steeets.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don’t think you’ll have a problem with height at all but they will be a little wider, so may have to check on some spacers or making room in the wheel well, I believe it’s called pinching. May want to check the wheel/tire section on this forum, I’m sure the answer is somewhere on this site.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I don’t think you’ll have a problem with height at all but they will be a little wider, so may have to check on some spacers or making room in the wheel well, I believe it’s called pinching. May want to check the wheel/tire section on this forum, I’m sure the answer is somewhere on this site.
Yeah I’ll be rocking some 1.5” spacers

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have 265/70/17 tires with 1.5" wheel spacers and have some slight rubbing when backing up. I did not have the rubbing until I added the spacers. I plan on doing the pinch weld modification sometime soon.

·
Registered
303 Posts
So the Rough country lift was $160
The Monroe quick struts were $132/ea
The Monroe rear shocks were $100
I didn’t have to replace the insulators for the coils because they were still in good shape. I do still have to replace the sway bar link and bushings but that’s cheap and easy. I did pay someone to install it all because I didn’t have the time for it so that was another couple hundred bucks. Drives straight and smooth now too, gonna get an alignment next week just to be safe though.
Any reason you decided to change the struts and shocks at 80k? Were they leaking?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I replaced mine cause every time
I hit a bump I’d get sideways. I bought the jeep 7months ago and knew I was planning on lifting it so I figured I’d just get it all done at once.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i am planning on getting the exact setup as you, and i was wondering about your half shaft angles, ive heard that anything over 2" will burn out the cv axles very quickly, and you said that you gained 3.5" in the front, looks amazing btw

·
Registered
303 Posts
i am planning on getting the exact setup as you, and i was wondering about your half shaft angles, ive heard that anything over 2" will burn out the cv axles very quickly, and you said that you gained 3.5" in the front, looks amazing btw
Total with tire upsize, cv axels will be fine

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
371 Posts
Visually it was obvious that the front end was hurt. It was badly sagging. The tires were actually up in side the well.

The passenger front strut was visually leaking oil. When I hit the brakes hard, the front end would drop 6 inches. The rear driver's shock was also leaking oil.

I purchased Rancho RS5000 struts and shocks. They bodies were physically larger than the oem parts. The pistons were also significantly thicker. Added to the OME springs, the ride is much firmer. With the wider wheel stance and lift, it actually looks like a real jeep and is very capable of road.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Mitch, so the ride is actually surprisingly smooth. You definatley can tell it’s a jeep when you’re driving down these crappy Michigan roads but when you hit a smooth patch it rides just like a car. The axles are fine, I made sure to double check with my mechanic and he reassured me they would be. For me this is my daily driver and won’t ever hit anytype of trails or off-roading so that’s why I went with the Monroe’s. I didn’t feel the need to spend the money on off-road bilsteins or ome coils. I think I paid just over $500 for all of my parts. Half of what I would have paid for OME coils, bilstein shocks/struts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts