Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy birthday to myself!

Super easy to install and wire up. Only problem I had was getting the wire into the cab, anyone have an suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looks good! How about a few more particulars. What size bar, how did you mount it, etc.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks good! How about a few more particulars. What size bar, how did you mount it, etc.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Yeah definitely!

Its a cheap 32" straight bar from Amazon that I got for about $55 for the bar, wiring harness, and switch! I just used the brackets that came with it and bought some self tapping screws to replace the bolts and nuts that come with it. I ran the wire through the grill and up into the engine bay. Ill take some more pictures tonight of the wiring and such incase anyone wants to see!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Nice! Looks great!

A handy place to pull wire into the cab is right next to the gas pedal area. There is a soft rubber boot for a wire loom that enters the cab that many of us have used as an access point for wiring.

Dave

·
Registered
143 Posts
Nice! Let's see it lit up! Show the beam pattern on a wall / garage door too. Curious to see what it looks like from the bumper.

Get one of these when you have the extra coin. Ordered and installed mine and it looks great! It will allow for other switches when you add more lights / accessories. Super cheap and really simple to install.

Auxiliary Lighting Dash Switch Plate

Here is my XK with the plate installed.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/5-general-commander-discussion/62161-2006-xk-build-daily-driver-weekend-warrior.html

Found rocker switches on eBay for a few bucks each.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick test I did just in the driveway. As usual, the pictures don't do it justice! Ill take some more tonight on the road. I really got it because I drive at night on a small two lane back road with a lot of deer so it's nice to have it super bright. btw the headlights are Sylvania ZxE's!

Low Beams:

Low Beams + Light bar:

Only Light Bar:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice! Looks great!

A handy place to pull wire into the cab is right next to the gas pedal area. There is a soft rubber boot for a wire loom that enters the cab that many of us have used as an access point for wiring.

Dave
Do you have any pictures or a further explanation so I can find it?

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Just a cheap $50 one from Amazon lol more of a proof of concept. I drive a lot on a back road when it's dark and there are a lot of deer here in South Carolina hahaha
I hear you, I drive through SC every time go home to FL and I see deer all over the place at night along the shoulders of I-95 and some of the other interstates.

That being said I take a couple of camping trips whenever I go home usually in a state forest or WMA in Florida, Georgia or both. I drive down a lot of National forest roads and mountain trails at night - some of them are pretty narrow and if you make a wrong turn somewhere and have to try to turn around, you have a challenge in front of you - you do that at night while your pulling a small utility trailer and it's that much more difficult.

Well, I've been there and done that, which is why I made it a point to have off-road LED lighting facing in every direction on my XK.

Having the proper lighting in these kinds of situations, makes all the difference - and yes, it's good for seeing Deer too, LOL.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hear you, I drive through SC every time go home to FL and I see deer all over the place at night along the shoulders of I-95 and some of the other interstates.

That being said I take a couple of camping trips whenever I go home usually in a state forest or WMA in Florida, Georgia or both. I drive down a lot of National forest roads and mountain trails at night - some of them are pretty narrow and if you make a wrong turn somewhere and have to try to turn around, you have a challenge in front of you - you do that at night while your pulling a small utility trailer and it's that much more difficult.

Well, I've been there and done that, which is why I made it a point to have off-road LED lighting facing in every direction on my XK.

Having the proper lighting in these kinds of situations, makes all the difference - and yes, it's good for seeing Deer too, LOL.
I've had a lot of close calls with a few haha I'm in the Hilton Head area and there is a lot of wooded areas so at night there are always a ton on the side of the road lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just installed a 50" bar on the cab to help we dodge deer at night in Michigan.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
I just installed a 50" bar on the cab to help we dodge deer at night in Michigan.
I have an AUXBEAM 50 inch curved spot/flood combo on my roof.

Is your 50 inch curved or straight?

Spot, flood or spot/flood combo?

·
Registered
18 Posts
50" curved flood spot combo nilight carbon finish. I'm On my phone and can't get to my computer to post a pic but if u look at some of my garage pictures you can see it. I wish I would've mounted it the way you did tho.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
50" curved flood spot combo nilight carbon finish. I'm On my phone and can't get to my computer to post a pic but if u look at some of my garage pictures you can see it. I wish I would've mounted it the way you did tho.
I see it now;

My mounting job was a lot of extra work, because of the shape and weight distribution of the light - but that's how I wanted it.

I wanted it up high - and I didn't want to drill holes in the roof.

Also there is a company called Brute Force that makes nice light bar covers for them for $50 - $60 bucks.

http://bruteforcecovers.com/

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oh that's sweet yea I drilled the holes and it wasn't fun.... the XK has got a whole bunch of steel support beams.... went through like 10 drill bits and one drill. And probably two tubes of silicone afterwards.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts