Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

My name is Jacques and I am from Cape Town in South Africa

I recently bought my very first jeep - it is a 2007 Jeep Commander Ltd, 5.7l Hemi. It currently has 75,000 miles on the clock.

The vehicle looked to be in great condition inside and out, so I was thinking that it was a good buy. I drove for about 500miles and booked her in for a major service - ALL oils, spark plugs etc but after driving her for approx 500miles after the service, I noticed that:
1. When I accelerate quickly from a stop or when the car gears down from a higher speed, it would blow out a big "bubble" of smoke.
2. I also noticed a marked decrease in power.
3. The engine light came on, as well as the PERFORM SERVICE error message.

I took her back to the shop where I did the service and was informed that we would need to open her up and see what it is - I know that this can be expensive on a Hemi, so was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem....

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Jacques;

I don't have a Hemi, so, I don't know that I'd really be any help;

I just wanted to welcome you to the forum; We have a couple of other members from South Africa here;

Post some pics of your commander when you can and again, welcome aboard.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi Everyone

My name is Jacques and I am from Cape Town in South Africa

I recently bought my very first jeep - it is a 2007 Jeep Commander Ltd, 5.7l Hemi. It currently has 75,000 miles on the clock.

The vehicle looked to be in great condition inside and out, so I was thinking that it was a good buy. I drove for about 500miles and booked her in for a major service - ALL oils, spark plugs etc but after driving her for approx 500miles after the service, I noticed that:
1. When I accelerate quickly from a stop or when the car gears down from a higher speed, it would blow out a big "bubble" of smoke.
2. I also noticed a marked decrease in power.
3. The engine light came on, as well as the PERFORM SERVICE error message.

I took her back to the shop where I did the service and was informed that we would need to open her up and see what it is - I know that this can be expensive on a Hemi, so was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem....
Welcome!
My first thoughts will be wrong spark plugs (the Hemi's only like Champion plugs) and possibly wrong oil viscosity; Hemi's have to have 5w20, but can run 5w10. Anything thicker and it'll probably throw codes for your MDS not being able to work, but that won't have any affect on power decrease or performance. Neither of these things will cause smoke, though...is the smoke white or blueish?
Perform Service message is just a mileage timer that the shop didn't reset, basically just used to keep track of oil changes. You can reset this by going through the "STEP" menu until you get to Service Interval and then just hit "RESET".

The best way we can really help is if you pull the codes that have caused the engine light to come on. There is a key-dance procedure you can do to get the codes to come up in the dash, if you don't have a tuner/reader or a shop that'll do it for free: Turn the key from fully OFF to ON (not Start) 3 times, on the third time leave the key on and the dash will say DTC REPORT, then slowly list codes one at a time. The timing for turning the key is kinda picky, can't be too slow or too fast. Usually takes me about 10 attempts before I can finally get the timing right. Here's a video of how:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Welcome!
My first thoughts will be wrong spark plugs (the Hemi's only like Champion plugs) and possibly wrong oil viscosity; Hemi's have to have 5w20, but can run 5w10.
Adding onto this, some Hemis can run well with other spark plugs, so the wrong type of spark plug isn't a smoking gun; mine has had no problems with Champion Iridiums. Hemis also can throw codes just from the wrong type of oil, so I wouldn't recommend 5w10. Mine occasionally threw a code for wrong oil viscosity even when my 5w20 was starting to get a little too dirty.

The color of the smoke is a good indicator of where you should be looking. White smoke indicates that you're burning coolant, blue smoke indicates you're burning oil, and black smoke indicates you're burning too much gasoline.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts