Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello. I recently purchased a 2009 Jeep Commander limited 4x4 with a 4.7l Magnum motor. It had 137k miles at the time of purchase.

2 issues I am having are ... the check engine light keeps coming on due to a small emissions leak caused by the aftermarket gas cap. The original gas cap did the same thing. The other issue is the TPMS stays illuminated. Other than those 2 issues, it drives great and handles off road Forest Service roads very, very well.

edited: I just read the forum introduction rules so I want to add a "little bit about me" information. My name is Steven, and I am a married father of 2 young boys (6 and 4). I graduated with a BA in English Literature from Gallaudet University - I am hard of hearing and fluent in ASL, my wife is profoundly deaf. I minored in German Communication and Communication Studies. I am a truck driver, because it pays more than teaching (which I think is a shame). I love being outdoors. I like to fish, hunt and camp. I grew up in a Gulf side town in Florida, and the picture in my Avatar is from Madeira Beach (where my family meets when we are all down there together). I love life, I love my job, I love my wife and my kids. I would not trade my life experiences for anything.

Oh yeah ... and a long, long time ago I used to be a bullrider in rodeos, and the guy who taught me how to ride bulls was/is in the 7th special forces group. Interesting stories .. I could go on and on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also got a 6 month bumper to bumper warranty on it. I do realize that Jeep made several service recommendations for when the Jeep reaches 150k miles. Does this need to be done by a Jeep dealer, or can they be done by a local shop?

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
On the TPMS - check the spare tire. Also at the age of your Commander if the Tire sensors are original their batteries could be bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked at the psi recommendation (33 psi cold) on the info on driver's side door, but my tires are one size higher than the manufacturer's suggestion.

·
Super Moderator
5,843 Posts
Hello. I recently purchased a 2009 Jeep Commander limited 4x4 with a 4.7l Magnum motor. It had 137k miles at the time of purchase.

2 issues I am having are ... the check engine light keeps coming on due to a small emissions leak caused by the aftermarket gas cap. The original gas cap did the same thing. The other issue is the TPMS stays illuminated. Other than those 2 issues, it drives great and handles off road Forest Service roads very, very well.

edited: I just read the forum introduction rules so I want to add a "little bit about me" information. My name is Steven, and I am a married father of 2 young boys (6 and 4). I graduated with a BA in English Literature from Gallaudet University - I am hard of hearing and fluent in ASL, my wife is profoundly deaf. I minored in German Communication and Communication Studies. I am a truck driver, because it pays more than teaching (which I think is a shame). I love being outdoors. I like to fish, hunt and camp. I grew up in a Gulf side town in Florida, and the picture in my Avatar is from Madeira Beach (where my family meets when we are all down there together). I love life, I love my job, I love my wife and my kids. I would not trade my life experiences for anything.

Oh yeah ... and a long, long time ago I used to be a bullrider in rodeos, and the guy who taught me how to ride bulls was/is in the 7th special forces group. Interesting stories .. I could go on and on.
@Schweisshund; Welcome to the forum; Post some pics of your Commander when you can;

Here are some links if you want to order any parts for repairs or upgrades to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/

North American Parts: https://northamericanparts.rpmware.c...unt/login.aspx

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - https://www.justforjeeps.com/

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - https://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAj...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...catalog%2Fjeep

Also, please read the new member required reading below if you haven't done so already; lots of good information in here;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Fascinating😊

·
Registered
169 Posts
I looked at the psi recommendation (33 psi cold) on the info on driver's side door, but my tires are one size higher than the manufacturer's suggestion.
So what I was told to do, and have done for many years for over sized tires to get the correct psi is look at the max weight rating @ psi on the tire. Take that psi and divide it by the max lbs listed on the tire. On my commander the max single rating is 3640 lbs at 80 psi (10 ply E load rated) so 80/3640 = .022. At this point you need to know the axle weight of your commander. Mine not loaded with 1/2 tank of gas, rear 2900 lbs, front 3000 lbs. (5.7 Hemi). take that number you got from the tire info and multiply it by the load on the tire (half of the axle weight) for my front tires 1500 x .022 = 33 psi. My commander tires are over sized 275/75 R18. The correct pressure will vary a little with different tire types.

·
Super Moderator
5,843 Posts
The TPMS light staying on could be any number of issues; Checking the spare tire is one possibility - but there a couple of other possibilities to consider;

1) You could have a bad or damaged TPM sensor or even a missing sensor if one has fallen off, or, been taken off for some reason and never replaced;

2) You could have a TPM sensor with a bad battery that's not checking in;

These are things to check with not just the spare tire - but all of your tires.

Here's another piece of information that a lot of people aren't aware of that may be useful to you;

The TPM Sensor Tire Pressure threshold to trigger the TPM sensor system to set off an alert & that annoying orange warning light is set at 28 PSI from the factory.

With a tuner/programmer, the lowest you can take that Tire Pressure Threshold PSI setting down to, is 22 PSI;

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
OK, a couple of days ago, I bought a 3" lift kit and 4 tires/rims that came off a Jeep Wrangler. The lift kit was specifically for a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I was also given, as part of the deal, different sized spacers in case the ones in the kit did not fit.

The tires/rims are the same size and same rims as the ones on my Commander. I am thinking about getting some good off road tires for those, but the tires on them still have good tread. I plan on swapping out the tires when needed for off roading trips. The spare rims/tires are Firestone Transforce AT tires 245/75/R17. The ones on my Commander are brand new Michelin street tires ... same exact size ... 245/75/R17. The specs on the door indicate the tires need to be 245/65/R17. Is that a big difference? Could that be why the tpms is staying lit? (I am not well versed on tire specs).

I have also never installed a lift kit. I have changed brake pads, rotors, etc. and replaced shocks, a very long time ago, on a Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis edition. I plan on watching some youtube videos and seeing how it is done. If it is something I think I can handle, I will attempt it.

·
Super Moderator
5,843 Posts
OK, a couple of days ago, I bought a 3" lift kit and 4 tires/rims that came off a Jeep Wrangler. The lift kit was specifically for a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I was also given, as part of the deal, different sized spacers in case the ones in the kit did not fit.

The tires/rims are the same size and same rims as the ones on my Commander. I am thinking about getting some good off road tires for those, but the tires on them still have good tread. I plan on swapping out the tires when needed for off roading trips. The spare rims/tires are Firestone Transforce AT tires 245/75/R17. The ones on my Commander are brand new Michelin street tires ... same exact size ... 245/75/R17. The specs on the door indicate the tires need to be 245/65/R17. Is that a big difference? Could that be why the tpms is staying lit? (I am not well versed on tire specs).

I have also never installed a lift kit. I have changed brake pads, rotors, etc. and replaced shocks, a very long time ago, on a Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis edition. I plan on watching some youtube videos and seeing how it is done. If it is something I think I can handle, I will attempt it.
Tire size has nothing to do with it; Your TPM sensor warning light is staying on for one of the reasons I mentioned in my previous post - or, you actually have a tire that is sitting at 28 PSI (or less) of air in it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts