Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello;
My name is Andy. I have been reading posts here for quite a number of years. Finally bought my 2010 Hemi Commander Limited QDII with 65,000 miles January this year (2018) and put the 4" super Lift on in March. Keeped the stock 18" wheels but put 1 1/4" wheel spacers on, with Toyo R/T 275/70/18s. Changed the upper control arms to JBAs when I did the lift. Had a little bit of tire rub so I did the pinch weld Mod to get plenty of clearance. Recently took down the steering stop ear on the lower control arms to restore the turning radius.

Just had to replace the front driveshaft rear CV joint (transfer case side). The lowered front diff puts quite an angle there. I'm thinking about going to a double cardan type of driveshaft. Any of you XK owners out there have any problems with the ujoint type. Looks like Tom Wood's custom drive shafts do them. Any other suggestions for HD XK front drive shafts?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Hello;
My name is Andy. I have been reading posts here for quite a number of years. Finally bought my 2010 Hemi Commander Limited QDII with 65,000 miles January this year (2018) and put the 4" super Lift on in March. Keeped the stock 18" wheels but put 1 1/4" wheel spacers on, with Toyo R/T 275/70/18s. Changed the upper control arms to JBAs when I did the lift. Had a little bit of tire rub so I did the pinch weld Mod to get plenty of clearance. Recently took down the steering stop ear on the lower control arms to restore the turning radius.

Just had to replace the front driveshaft rear CV joint (transfer case side). The lowered front diff puts quite an angle there. I'm thinking about going to a double cardan type of driveshaft. Any of you XK owners out there have any problems with the ujoint type. Looks like Tom Wood's custom drive shafts do them. Any other suggestions for HD XK front drive shafts?
Andy;

Welcome to the forum; Post some pics of your Commander when you are able.

Here are some links to help you out if you want to do upgrades or repairs to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ukey_make=1064

Cheapest factory Parts: Find OEM BMW, Fiat, Ford, GM, Mopar, Nissan, Subaru & Toyota Parts & Accessories

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - http://www.justforjeeps.com/?gclid=C...9i0hoCSS7w_wcB

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - http://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjw...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

The Steel Armadillo - Jeep Commander (XK/HK) 2006-2010

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/j...catalog%2Fjeep

Also, please read this if you haven't done so already - lots of good information in here;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

Thanks and again, welcome aboard.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm still looking for Member front drive shaft upgrade experiences. I have found a few threads of people going with Carolina Driveline double cardan replacements, but when I contacted Carolina Driveline about price this is what I got back, and I quote "We do not make front driveshafts for the WKs due to balancing issues". So, Tom Wood's DS is top of the list unless some one has another suggestion.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I'm still looking for Member front drive shaft upgrade experiences. I have found a few threads of people going with Carolina Driveline double cardan replacements, but when I contacted Carolina Driveline about price this is what I got back, and I quote "We do not make front driveshafts for the WKs due to balancing issues". So, Tom Wood's DS is top of the list unless some one has another suggestion.
Did you try explaining to them you have an XK not a WK?

I know a lot of the frame/chassis & driveline parts are the same, (I used to have an 08 WK) but, I was just curious if that makes a difference for the front drive shaft or not.

I have always heard other members mention that Carolina Driveline makes replacement drive shafts for the Commander, so, I'm kind of surprised at the response they gave you.

I happen to know that one of our senior members @Creek has had 2 front drive shafts replaced so far; maybe you can PM him and ask him where he got his replacement front drive shafts from.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's the funnest thing, I asked if they could build a Driveshaft for a Jeep Commander, and they replied about a Grand Cherokee. From what I've found they do use the same shaft (gasoline V8s). Even more baffling their website states that they make them for the Grand Cherokee. Carolina Driveline: Jeep Driveshafts Speed Balanced Steel and Aluminum . I had no reply when I asked for clarification. I was wondering if maybe they were thinking WK2, I hear those are very different. Anyway I will try to contact @Creek.
Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Well, that won't work (yet) 15 posts to be able to PM any one but admin.
Hopefully, he'll see that he was mentioned in this thread and respond to you here.

I will also PM him a link to this thread.

EDIT: PM sent.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Welcome! Only 65k?... just a toddler!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I had both my front drive shafts replaced by the dealer, only paid for one. But there is a thread somewhere on this site or u tube that shows replacing the drive shaft CV end.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had both my front drive shafts replaced by the dealer, only paid for one. But there is a thread somewhere on this site or u tube that shows replacing the drive shaft CV end.
Thank you for the reply Creek, And thank you Big Blue for passing on my inquire. Yes I did find a u tube video, and replaced that rear CV myself. Took longer to get the shaft out then replacing the joint (I had to pull off the rear crossmember for clearance). I'm sure the new boot will last awhile, but I am looking to upgrade a bit. From the specs I've found the Rzeppa CV on our commanders are stronger then the 1310 u-joints that make up a the "upgrade" double cardan CV, but the double cardan handle the angle caused by the superlift much better.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome! Only 65k?... just a toddler!
Well, that was rounded numbers 67k when I bought it, 78K now. I wanted a rig that I put most of the abuse on. Snow is on it's way here in Oregon (finally). Hoping to give the QD-II a good workout snow-wheeling soon. The commander came from southern California, and I would guess it was never was even put into 4 Low.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts