Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Forum,

Just bought my 2006 Commander Limited one week ago. Drove it home nearly 60 miles and was very pleased with the ride. Then all hell broke loose. The car overheated, radiator started leaking out of the bottom, serpentine belt tensioner pulley started knocking. It was as though I was being tested! So, now I have a much better knowledge of the inner workings of the Commander. I did the following:

Changed the thermostat....still overheating.
Flushed and changed the coolant...still overheating.
Purchased and installed new radiator...Will find out tomorrow.

Rounded over the mounting bolt that holds on the tensioner pulley. Had to cut off the bolt head with an angle grinder. Found a new MOPAR bolt at my local Jeep dealer for $2.45. Ordered a new tensioner pulley off of Amazon to save a few bucks.

So, tomorrow is the big day. The bolt should be delivered and I will hook everything back up and fire her up again!!

Thanks for letting me be a part of your Forum

--A

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Hey Forum,

Just bought my 2006 Commander Limited one week ago. Drove it home nearly 60 miles and was very pleased with the ride. Then all hell broke loose. The car overheated, radiator started leaking out of the bottom, serpentine belt tensioner pulley started knocking. It was as though I was being tested! So, now I have a much better knowledge of the inner workings of the Commander. I did the following:

Changed the thermostat....still overheating.
Flushed and changed the coolant...still overheating.
Purchased and installed new radiator...Will find out tomorrow.

Rounded over the mounting bolt that holds on the tensioner pulley. Had to cut off the bolt head with an angle grinder. Found a new MOPAR bolt at my local Jeep dealer for $2.45. Ordered a new tensioner pulley off of Amazon to save a few bucks.

So, tomorrow is the big day. The bolt should be delivered and I will hook everything back up and fire her up again!!

Thanks for letting me be a part of your Forum

--A
@truehemingway;

Welcome to the forum; Sorry to hear about your over-heating problems;

I'd suggest also checking to make sure your Fan & Water Pump are working properly.

When the dust settles, post some pics of your Commander when you can; Here are some links if you want to order any other parts for repairs or upgrades to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/

North American Parts: https://northamericanparts.rpmware.com/store/account/login.aspx

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - https://www.justforjeeps.com/

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - https://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjwiYG9BRCkgK-G45S323oSJABnykKAhh8eDfktvKOcXIbZZtyM9MiasWVk-Mba45s2yxNrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

JeepSteel Custom Bumpers - https://www.jeepsteel.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jeep,2006?a=Referer+www.google.com+URL+%2Fen%2Fcatalog%2Fjeep

Also, please read this if you haven't done so already in the last 4 years - lots of good information in here;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

Thanks and again, welcome aboard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@truehemingway Wow, that is really unfortunate that would happen right after you picked it up. Hopefully the install goes smooth and fixes the issue. How much did the new radiator cost you?
I bought one on Amazon for$65.79 It is the TYC 2839 model. It came packaged very securely and no damage to any of the fins at all. Nesting it back in behind the AC condenser was a challenge, but once I pick up the tensioner bolt from a dealership later today, I should finally get it up and running again.

I also pulled the interior blower motor yesterday. It was packed full of small leaves, something I had seen other owners deal with on YouTube. Easy fix...take it down and dump em out. Hopefully that will reduce the sound of the AC when it comes on. It was like a jet engine before...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I bought one on Amazon for$65.79 It is the TYC 2839 model. It came packaged very securely and no damage to any of the fins at all. Nesting it back in behind the AC condenser was a challenge, but once I pick up the tensioner bolt from a dealership later today, I should finally get it up and running again.

I also pulled the interior blower motor yesterday. It was packed full of small leaves, something I had seen other owners deal with on YouTube. Easy fix...take it down and dump em out. Hopefully that will reduce the sound of the AC when it comes on. It was like a jet engine before...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Let us know what the outcome is when your done with the install.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don’t replace the radiator without replacing the water pump!!! I had a radiator leak, replaced it and the pressure went straight to the water pump making it leak, it’s easier to do both at the same time, you probably have enough mileage that it’s on borrowed time anyway. Also be sure to search how to release air from the coolant refill.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Don’t replace the radiator without replacing the water pump!!! I had a radiator leak, replaced it and the pressure went straight to the water pump making it leak, it’s easier to do both at the same time, you probably have enough mileage that it’s on borrowed time anyway. Also be sure to search how to release air from the coolant refill.
That's a good point.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just picked up a radiator off amazon, installed it all went well. So far so good. Same radiator at the parts house was more and they would also have to order it. So made sense to do it myself. If this one leaks again I will bite the bullet and get a 100% aluminum one. But so far so good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quick Update:

New radiator from Amazon worked perfectly. I replaced the thermostat at the same time and the belt tensioner to resolve a knocking when the AC was running that I could hear.

Unfortunately, I was too late. I discovered that the previous owner had cut the tubes running to the heater core and used a poor-quality adapter to connect them together. The engine coolant issue I was having was due to a leaking radiator and this leaking connector. So after I got the coolant flowing again, I would drive it and a flood of liquid was coming out of the bottom of the engine. I discovered that it was the adapter for the re-routed tubes from the firewall.

Long-story short, a compression test revealed a blown head gasket. This was something I could not tackle on my own for a lot of reasons...tools, space, skill...fear. So my (new to me) Commander is now awaiting machining on the heads after I had only gotten to drive it for 2 days.

I am really looking forward to getting it back from the shop so I can have some fun with it!! I have some plans for the future:

1.5 inch wheel spacers
2" cheapo lift kit
Improved suspension (maybe emu coils and shocks)
New headlights--I know it's not a lot, but after 13 years, it will make this baby look brand new again!!
Rooftop basket
Ladder or Step (not sure yet)
Considering the Pedal Commander throttle response kit.
LED light bar
Front Brush guard or bumper replacement.

Although, all of these are funds-contingent considering the cost of the head gasket replacement...

Photos of upgrades to come.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts