Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all, new member here saying hello. And having a question at the same time. I have tried searching to get the answer I'm looking for, but nothing has answered my question so I thought I'd throw it at you fine commander experts.

I've had the commander since June and I have been doing/acquiring small things here and there. I have plans to install a 2" RC spacer lift (already have), 265/70/17 A/T tires (don't have yet), link end bushings (already have), sway bar bushings (already have), 1.5" wheel spacers (already installed). Nothing too crazy.

My Jeep:

06' 65th Anniversary
4.7 V8 4x4 not sure of the drivetrain, I think QDII
90k on the odometer (78k when I bought it in June)
Green w Tan interior

Question:

I have plans for a light lift, I purchased the RC spacer lift and have yet to install due to hesitancies with the ball joints and the knock that I have read about. I was thinking about waiting to get all terrains to install everything and have it sitting pretty right away. I don't do hard off roading but if the opportunity arises I don't want to have to worry.

Are those valid concerns for me to have? I don't have the budget to get some UCA's right away, so I'll be keeping that aspect stock (for now), I was thinking that some grease-able ball joints could be in my future too. I saw on rockauto.com they have some for decent prices, also have some offset ball joints for lifts. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
R.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Welcome to the forum ramo. I don't have answers for your lift questions, but I am sure others will chime in. As far as for whether you have a QDII drive train there are two ways to tell. One it should say QDII on your center console behind the shifter. The second and best way is to count the bolts in the rear differential cover the QDII will have 12 and all others will have 10.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, thank you Creek for the tip. I will for sure count some bolts tonight. I for sure don't have a badge on the center console.

·
Super Moderator
5,918 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks @BigBlue.

What can you suggest about my ball joint question? How long were you on stock UCA's before you got your JBA's? And how did your ball joint hold up?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Thanks @BigBlue.

What can you suggest about my ball joint question? How long were you on stock UCA's before you got your JBA's? And how did your ball joint hold up?
At the age and mileage of your jeep i would definitely consider new ucas. If you can do it yourself it isnt a huge deal to go back in there in 20k miles and do them then, but if you are paying labor get it done all at once.

I replaced my uca ball joints only with Moog hds (problem solver line) when i did my lift around 95k miles but i wish i had gone with adjustable bjs or jbas.

My lower control arm bushings are due for replacement now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At the age and mileage of your jeep i would definitely consider new ucas. If you can do it yourself it isnt a huge deal to go back in there in 20k miles and do them then, but if you are paying labor get it done all at once.

I replaced my uca ball joints only with Moog hds (problem solver line) when i did my lift around 95k miles but i wish i had gone with adjustable bjs or jbas.

My lower control arm bushings are due for replacement now.

Ok, thank you for the information @luckyse7ens, I will for sure start to look to incorporate some UCA’s..I actually looked at the moog problem solvers myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts