Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hoping to get these preliminary posts out of the way soon so that I may post a picture of my 4.7 Commander with 20' travel trailer.

Towing here in the plains has been ok with the Commie but gusty head winds are tough on the Box towing a bigger BOX. Let me know if you want me to start any posts regarding my towing experience with my Commander.

Well anyways I was just wanting to introduce myself and say hello.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Welcome to the forum Supreme Commander!!

I would like to know a little about the towing. Is it a 20' box trailer? If so, how tall?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Oh, ok. It's a camper trailer. How's the ride pulling that thing? I have thought about getting a toy hauler at some point. (one of the trailers that is a camper with room for a buggy or other fun big toy)

I lived in Wichita for a while. I know that the winds can be really tricky sometimes while towing things. I would pull my sand rails and baja bugs to Little Sahara, OK for some dune fun.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Welcome to the club, Many great people here and lots of information.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BigPoppaJNutZ said:
Oh, ok. It's a camper trailer. How's the ride pulling that thing? I have thought about getting a toy hauler at some point. (one of the trailers that is a camper with room for a buggy or other fun big toy)

I lived in Wichita for a while. I know that the winds can be really tricky sometimes while towing things. I would pull my sand rails and baja bugs to Little Sahara, OK for some dune fun.

It tows pretty well with an Anti Sway setup with a properly setup hitch.
I have had little sway.

It weighs in at 3960lbs dry so after I load a few things in it I would think it weighs about 4100lbs.

The only problem I have encountered is that the 4.7L feels a little under powered for all that weight.

I turned into approximately a 15mph South wind gust at 70 mph and it slowed me down to 60 mph. I thought my Commander broke down on me. I gave it more gas with no gain in RPM or MPH the engine sounded almost silent. I then realized by looking at the trees I was meeting the wind head on. It also slows a bit on what we call a Hill here in Kansas lol!!

Towing all that weight 60 mph feels like a comfortable spot for the 4.7L Commander.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
welcome to the forum. a lot of great info here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts