Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys. i just joined but had my commander, 3.0 limited, for a year now great drive - very thirsty though.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Hi Guys. i just joined but had my commander, 3.0 limited, for a year now great drive - very thirsty though.
@CP07;

Welcome to the forum; Yes these XKs do love to drink the fuel - but I would imagine your diesel is a little better then our gas engines; Post some pics of your Commander when you can.

Here are some links to help you out if you want to do upgrades or repairs to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ukey_make=1064

Cheapest factory Parts: Find OEM BMW, Fiat, Ford, GM, Mopar, Nissan, Subaru & Toyota Parts & Accessories

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - http://www.justforjeeps.com/?gclid=C...9i0hoCSS7w_wcB

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - http://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjw...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

The Steel Armadillo - Jeep Commander (XK/HK) 2006-2010

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/j...catalog%2Fjeep

Also, please read this if you haven't done so already - lots of good information in here;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

Thanks and again, welcome aboard.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks.
Diesel here, at the moment is about £1.25 per litre (i cant work that back into us gallons and dollars).

mine was averaging 19 MPG on very much city mileage, around 32MPG if i stuck to a steady 56MPH on motorways upto recently. I had it remapped, with the EGR left in situ but mapped out. im now getting about 23MPG on the same city runs, but if i go a little bit nearer 70MPH im getting nearer 35MPG.

I just read on another board of someone having a 2.7 cherokee remapped and now getting nearer 40mpg on motorway runs but also having replaced his fuel pump.

We've had some good times with the commander though (regardless of it drinking fuel) taking the grand kids to the coast with loads of essentials. In the snow, or what we class as snow - i.e. probably nothing like you guys get, it was very impresive.

having the usual radio/sat nav/ screen issue, it works sometimes but not most of the time. ive had it looked at and the general theory is that its something to do with the video card rather than a power problem. im still trying to source avideo card, screens are being quoted here at £400, replacement Pioneer unit with similar features at £1000. Ill stick to using a garmin as a satnav for now. the MP3 disc player is awesome though so im in no rush to change out an otherwise great unit.

Only problem at the moment is the indicator multifunction switch - again a fairly common fault. A mate on another forum has one from a Grand Cherokee with the same part number so I getting that one from him.

The other weird thing was decoding the VIN through the Jeep oficial site - mines a grand cherokee seemingly, but its badged as a commander, looks like one, drinks fuel like one and has 7 seats - so whatever jeep do on build sheets is just weird.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
thanks.
Diesel here, at the moment is about £1.25 per litre (i cant work that back into us gallons and dollars).

mine was averaging 19 MPG on very much city mileage, around 32MPG if i stuck to a steady 56MPH on motorways upto recently. I had it remapped, with the EGR left in situ but mapped out. im now getting about 23MPG on the same city runs, but if i go a little bit nearer 70MPH im getting nearer 35MPG.

I just read on another board of someone having a 2.7 cherokee remapped and now getting nearer 40mpg on motorway runs but also having replaced his fuel pump.

We've had some good times with the commander though (regardless of it drinking fuel) taking the grand kids to the coast with loads of essentials. In the snow, or what we class as snow - i.e. probably nothing like you guys get, it was very impresive.

having the usual radio/sat nav/ screen issue, it works sometimes but not most of the time. ive had it looked at and the general theory is that its something to do with the video card rather than a power problem. im still trying to source avideo card, screens are being quoted here at £400, replacement Pioneer unit with similar features at £1000. Ill stick to using a garmin as a satnav for now. the MP3 disc player is awesome though so im in no rush to change out an otherwise great unit.

Only problem at the moment is the indicator multifunction switch - again a fairly common fault. A mate on another forum has one from a Grand Cherokee with the same part number so I getting that one from him.

The other weird thing was decoding the VIN through the Jeep oficial site - mines a grand cherokee seemingly, but its badged as a commander, looks like one, drinks fuel like one and has 7 seats - so whatever jeep do on build sheets is just weird.
@CP07;

What exactly are you referring to when you say that you had it re-mapped?

I've never heard that terminology before.

I've also never heard of a Commander's VIN being run through FCA's website and coming back as a Grand Cherokee - that is extremely unusual. I'd say follow the steps below on the link provided and see if you get the same results stating that it's a Grand Cherokee:

To get the factory build sheet for your Commander, click on the link below and navigate to "Your Vehicle" click on "Equipment Listing" and then enter your VIN number in the box that says "VIN" and hit "Search". The factory build sheet will list all of the factory options & optional preferred equipment packages that your vehicle had installed from the factory when it was built.

Dodge - Contact Us

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would be ecstatic to have that mileage!! Welcome to the forum!
Thanks
Mine was built in Austria so is calibrated in British Gallons rather than US gallons. the MPG is probably about the same.

(unless yours is one of the huge petrol engines - the thought of feeding one of those sends cold shivers through me)

·
Registered
84 Posts
What exactly are you referring to when you say that you had it re-mapped?

I've never heard that terminology before.

I've also never heard of a Commander's VIN being run through FCA's website and coming back as a Grand Cherokee - that is extremely unusual. I'd say follow the steps below on the link provided and see if you get the same results stating that it's a Grand Cherokee:

To get the factory build sheet for your Commander, click on the link below and navigate to "Your Vehicle" click on "Equipment Listing" and then enter your VIN number in the box that says "VIN" and hit "Search". The factory build sheet will list all of the factory options & optional preferred equipment packages that your vehicle had installed from the factory when it was built.

the VIN bit first, i ran mine(the VIN not the actual jeep) through
vindecoderz.com (i cant post links yet so try puting 3 letter w's in front of it front of it
a mate on another Jeep Board, UK based, ran it through one he uses, and it again came back as Cherokee. that was quite worrying and also useful.
worrying in so far as if ordering Genuine Mopar bits the Vin number would be potentially misleading, but since its basicaly a cherokee anyway no real danger.
the bonus useful bit though is that all the European spec commanders have DPF's fitted - the cherokees dont. thats useful incase i decide to tune it up further by removing the DPF - i could always argue that it never had one fitted due to being a cherokee.... also its a big fine if you get caught having removed a DPF from the original vehicle build - due to exhaust emission standards, but since mine according to the VIN is a cherokee - "take it up with Chrysler Jeep officer, i didnt build it i only drive it" (if ever pulled over by a policeman with an emission tester)

the remapping is probably called something else on your side of the pond -have a look at

i cant post links so have a look at celtictuning.co.uk

basically a techie type plugs a laptop into the OBD port and changes loads of software settings - mine pre remap idled at 800RPM after the remap it idles at 500 and accelerates like the wind (ok, a 2 ton not aerodynic wind) so on idle speed alone a fuel saving.

forgot to mention another repair i did using a straw from the burger chain with the upside down W logo, draining the passenger footwell when the rubber bung thing got blocked, so i cut the end off and replaced it with the straw.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
the remapping is probably called something else on your side of the pond -have a look at

i cant post links so have a look at celtictuning.co.uk

basically a techie type plugs a laptop into the OBD port and changes loads of software settings - mine pre remap idled at 800RPM after the remap it idles at 500 and accelerates like the wind (ok, a 2 ton not aerodynic wind) so on idle speed alone a fuel saving.

forgot to mention another repair i did using a straw from the burger chain with the upside down W logo, draining the passenger footwell when the rubber bung thing got blocked, so i cut the end off and replaced it with the straw.
Sounds similar to what we do over here with the Superchips flashpaq programmers, basically reprogramming the ECU with high performance settings.

Also I'm curious - did you try running your VIN through the below website to see what it comes back as? Make/model/trim package would all be listed on the factory build sheet - I would think even for the European Commanders, this would still hold true.

Dodge - Contact Us

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried it but it wouldn't recognise the VIN, maybe because its a European spec?

if you want to run it through any other site, try useing 1J8H1E8MX6Y1173855 as a sample VIN.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I tried it but it wouldn't recognise the VIN, maybe because its a European spec?

if you want to run it through any other site, try useing 1J8H1E8MX6Y1173855 as a sample VIN.
Tried it on 2 different websites, one was a Jeep specific site and the other was an FCA site & no luck, I guess the European VINS must be contained in a different database, seperate from the U.S. VINS.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ran it through vincoder eu (you might need to put the 3ws in and a dot infront of eu if anyone wants to try it.

Below is what came back. its a grand cheorkee XK - which makes no sense but hey ho.

Manufacturer:
Chrysler Group LLC

Manufacturer Address:
800 Chrysler Dr
Auburn Hills MI 48326-2757

Product Type:
Reserved

Make:
Jeep

Model:
Grand Cherokee

Series:
XK

Body:
Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV)/Multi Purpose Vehicle (MPV)

Drive:
4WD/4-Wheel Drive/4x4

Steering:
Right Hand Drive (RHD)

Fuel Type - Primary:
Diesel

Engine Displacement (ccm):

Engine Cylinders:

Check Digit:
X

Model Year:

Plant Country:
Austria

Plant Company:
Chrysler Steyt Assembly

Plant State:
Graz

Sequential Number:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The model coming back as a Grand Cherokee is strange; it puzzles me why they don't make the distinction between Grand Cherokee & Commander - but the series (XK) is obviously correct.

Still seems odd though.
Believe me its had a fair few people who I would call Jeep experts (certainly they know a lot more than me about Jeeps in general) scratching their heads aswell over here. some of the commanders When the owners have checked the VINs have come back as Commanders rather thann GC's.

It could be down to whoever did the original entry to the database doing something in error such as entering a wrong digit or two.

Makes it easier though if i ever remove the DPF since not all GC's overhere had them fitted.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'd love to have that fuel mileage! I'm getting somewhere around 12 MPG in the city and 17.5 MPG on the highway. Heavy truck with a big engine will do that, though. And we're blessed with $2.65/gallon gasoline (for now), too, which makes it much more palatable (just under four liters per gallon).

Thanks a lot for posting that link to the build sheets, @Big Blue! Great thing to have.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I'd love to have that fuel mileage! I'm getting somewhere around 12 MPG in the city and 17.5 MPG on the highway. Heavy truck with a big engine will do that, though. And we're blessed with $2.65/gallon gasoline (for now), too, which makes it much more palatable (just under four liters per gallon).

Thanks a lot for posting that link to the build sheets, @Big Blue! Great thing to have.
Happy to help @doesgo, that's why I'm here.

If you need anything else don't hesitate to ask.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts