Jeep Commander Forum banner

New member with a possible cure: (Navigation intermittent blank sceen)

7K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  CP07 
#1 · (Edited)
Greetings everyone:

I'm a new member & owner of a 2006 Jeep Commander Limited/ 5.7 Hemi. Wanted to share a recent event I had this week.
For a few years my Navigation screen would go blank for awhile and then back to normal and then out again. None of the functions on the steering wheel would work but I still could change the modes when the screen popped in.

Fast forward to this week, My fuel pump went out and was replaced. Started the Jeep after the repairs and yes!! the screen was up & running so I quickly set it to satellite radio. Well it stayed on longer than usual, I tested the buttons on the steering wheel and damn they worked ! What happen ? Why is my navigation system screen and function all of a sudden working again? On a hunch I called the repair shop and simply asked if they fixed it for kicks?

Come to find out that while they were replacing the fuel pump a loose wire was noted, It was reconnected and tighten and that my friends fixed the on again off again Nav/ screen and all of the functions. That trip saved me hundreds on buying another complete system ! I haven't a clue as to which wire, But it's worth an investigation for those with the same issue I was having for years....Keep me posted if that cure works for you?

See less See more
#2 ·
This is pretty much useless without knowing which wire. Couldn't you ask them which one? And please read the sticky threads in the New Member Section and answer your User Profile Questions. Thanks.

#3 ·
Useless? I'm not a mechanic so not knowing the wire isn't a surprise ( I was hoping someone with that kind of knowledge might have an idea or clue as to the what the possibilities are, Obviously you added nothing to this post) It worked so calling the information " Useless" is an over statement. I'll call next week to check on that information and head to the ( NMS) To fill out the profile questions

#4 · (Edited)
Yes, it's useless. All you told us was they fixed a loose wire. There are hundreds of wires on a Commander. Without knowing which one it would you would have to check every wire, and that is a daunting task not worth starting.

#8 ·
@Alsberryk;

Welcome to the forum; Post some pics of your Commander when you can.

Here are some links to help you out if you want to do upgrades or repairs to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ukey_make=1064

Cheapest factory Parts: Find OEM BMW, Fiat, Ford, GM, Mopar, Nissan, Subaru & Toyota Parts & Accessories

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - http://www.justforjeeps.com/?gclid=C...9i0hoCSS7w_wcB

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - http://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjw...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

The Steel Armadillo - Jeep Commander (XK/HK) 2006-2010

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/j...catalog%2Fjeep

Also, please read this if you haven't done so already - lots of good information in here;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

Thanks and again, welcome aboard.

#9 ·
Navagtion system 2006 Jeep Commander Limited

Well I guess it wasn't a fix completely:|, Came home to a blank screen:surprise: BUT the steering wheel controls continue to work and the satellite radio stays put unlike before on startup. Maybe disconnection from the battery reset it temporally?
I guess my search is back on for a OEM head unit without breaking the wallet, I want to keep it all original

#10 ·
Well I guess it wasn't a fix completely:|, Came home to a blank screen:surprise: BUT the steering wheel controls continue to work and the satellite radio stays put unlike before on startup. Maybe disconnection from the battery reset it temporally?
I guess my search is back on for a OEM head unit without breaking the wallet, I want to keep it all original
Definitely sounds like you need to replace your head unit;

Unfortunately the factory head units have proven not to be very reliable. I've had two reconditioned head units installed by FCA in the 4 years I've had my XK - because that's all you can buy anymore and experience has taught me that they do not last, particularly if you live in a hot climate.

That's why I ultimately wound up getting a new Pioneer AVH-X490BS CD/DVD RDS AV head unit with Sirius XM Receiver.

You can't beat the reliability of a new head unit - that is actually new, plus I have Blue Tooth now, which I didn't have before.

#12 · (Edited)
Thanks for that information, Will I still be able to use the rear VES system when replacing the head unit?
I don't know about the VES (I assume that's Video Entertainment System) because I don't have one.

I do know that the factory back-up camera will work with an after-market head unit, you only need an adapter to hook it up.

#13 ·
Ive had an ongoing issue with the screen in mine - off and on.

ssemingly its an 'Alpine' unit and known for this fault.

The people who looked at mine said its either the screen or the video card. if anyone has replaced either it might be good to know what the result was.

Audio wise though its a great unit - rocks home made MP3s for fun

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.