Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone just joined the site this morning, just bought a 08 jeep commander its a v6 love it so far first jeep I've ever owned. Just wanted to post up say hey... if someone could give me a link to how the 4wd system and how the esp button functions with that I would apperciate that I just wanna learn up on everyrthing on these jeeps! Thanks a bunch and ill def. Be browsing around and posting some threads today thanks again.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah forgot to wrtie let me know if there's any dos and donts with these jeeps that I should know off hand

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Welcome,

I would start by reading the Owners Manual (OM). If your Jeep did NOT come with one, you can download it for free off the Jeep Website. You have to pay them to send you a paper copy. It has a lot more info in it than the Quick Start guide they put in the glove compartments now.

A good thread on ESP (condensed whats in the Owner's Manual)
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14459&highlight=ESP

The Jeep Website explains the different 4WD systems, but they dumb it down so much and instead use gee-whiz trademarked marketing terms, if you're at all technically inclined it just confuses you.

Do a search, there are several threads on this forum discussing the differences and Capability of the 4WD systems in depth.

Real Quick:
QT1/QT2/QD2 are all basically the same, with some different equipment that can make a huge difference in capability.

All 3 systems use the EBCS, which ESP is part of that, but a lot of people just refere to it as ESP. Basically computers control the brakes to keep traction at all 4 wheels, and it does a good job at it too, so when you read about open differentials, don't get the impression that the system is less capable, it is very capable because of what the EBCS adds to it to control traction at each wheel.

QT1 usually w/ the V6; has a simple xfr case that can NOT be put into 4LOW or Neutral.
QT2 usually w/ the V8; is the same as QT1, but with a xfr case that can be put into 4LOW and Neutral. Putting it into 4LOW also locks the center differential in the xfr case.
QD2 usually w/ the HEMI; is the same as QT2, but with Electronic LSD's (ELSD) in the front/rear axles. The ELSD are computer controlled and increase/decrease slip limiting as necessary and can LOCK the front/rear differentials if needed.

Don't let people tell you the V6/QT1 is NOT for off-road. Its the same system as QT2 except you can't go into 4LOW. A V6/QT1 can follow a V8/QT2 anwhere off road and do the same things up to the point where the more capable jeep has to use every bit of its V8 power or has to put it into 4LOW to get over an obstacle, which is a minority of the time.

So, yes the QT2/QD2 are much more capable and more desirable for Recreational Off-Roading. BUT QT1 is no slouch, I would NOT even hesitate taking a QT1 Commander camping, driving over mild, even moderate, trails or light duty off-road stuff.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Welcome aboard. Have fun out there!:icon_cheers:

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Real Quick:
QT1/QT2/QD3 are all basically the same, with some different equipment that can make a huge difference in capability.
What is QD3 ? You are going to confuse the Newb.

·
Registered
661 Posts
i have 2 commanders 1 4.7 V8 Q2 and 1 3.7 V6 Q1 the v8 has more get up and go but the 6 is alsmost as capable on the trail i always go trail riding and let my buddys use it and they love it so dont hesitate to go offroading with Q1

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha cool thanks again everyone.... so wouldnt my jeep be considerd AWD? since its always in 4wd?

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
4WD: both axles engaged all the time. Can be a manual engagement (no center differential, so this is considered part time 4WD!
AWD: 1. Front is engaged all the time and when slip is detected some torque can be sent to the back. ie: Escape, Patriot, Compass
AWD: 2. Car is basically RWD, but can send some torque to the front if there is slippage. ie: 300, Charger

Subaru used to call their's 4WD, but you had to lift a lever between the seats to engage the rear axle. Now they call it AWD, but it's really 4WD. Confused? So am I. :grim:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Burba88,

Let me, also a newbie, welcome you to this great forum !

Dominik aka Walterkilo

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Welcome to the forum. This place is awesome and a font of knowledge. You'll learn lots and enjoy your Jeep even more. Cheers.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
so i was looking up CAI this morning and found this http://www.superchargertuning.com/Jeep/Commander/ ....... lol im assuming this is a total BS product just wondering if you guys have heard of this
:rofl:Yes its bogus, they sell them for a lot of vehicles and if they could show a real difference in power on a Dyno, we would have heard about it by now. Don't be fooled by the demo's, granted it is a powerful electric motor they give you, it will produce enough airflow to make the unit fly around on the garage floor, BUT that doesn't even come close to the air flow of the motor at WOT.

Also don't be fooled by some real research going on about electric motors assisting Turbo's and superchargers for big motors, like MAC Trucks, they are for creating a complex turbo to make a more fuel efficient MAC truck motor.

Look into the computer tuner devices, probably around the same money, that would give far better results than that joke.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts