Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
greetings from the florida keys !
I was wondering, as I set up my commander for multi month touring, what cooking appliances have been tried, using stock alternator/battery
and a 12v to 110 inverter ?
I am under impression the 5.7 hemi comes with a 175amp alternator; which seems it should supply some serious power while vehicle is running.
I been roaming country 8 years with my subaru outback; but theres about 20 places I want to go that I couldn't make with the subaru. So I got some rough dirt roads in mind to take this commander. Considering a rooftop tent too.
Any advice is welcome.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I was wondering, as I set up my commander for multi month touring, what cooking appliances have been tried, using stock alternator/battery
I am under impression the 5.7 hemi comes with a 175amp alternator; which seems it should supply some serious power while vehicle is running.
I been roaming country 8 years with my subaru outback; but theres about 20 places I want to go that I couldn't make with the subaru. So I got some rough dirt roads in mind to take this commander. Considering a rooftop tent too.
Any advice is welcome.
Generally specs say 160A amp alternator, depends where you read it, I've seen 150A, 160A, and 175A. I haven't seen any aftermarket high amp alternators out there for the Commander. Sounds like some fun plans. Here's a video I ran across a couple of years ago, might help get the thoughts going.

·
Registered
351 Posts
i havent done multimonth but go weekend camping with a truck fridge cooler and coleman suitcase gas stove. both would work fine and no need for an inverter.

·
Super Moderator
5,821 Posts
Any advice is welcome.
Welcome to the forum @G-rad; I lived in the Florida Keys for 17 years from Key West all the way up to Marathon - left there in 2010 - best move I ever made.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts