Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
greetings from the florida keys !
I was wondering, as I set up my commander for multi month touring, what cooking appliances have been tried, using stock alternator/battery
and a 12v to 110 inverter ?
I am under impression the 5.7 hemi comes with a 175amp alternator; which seems it should supply some serious power while vehicle is running.
I been roaming country 8 years with my subaru outback; but theres about 20 places I want to go that I couldn't make with the subaru. So I got some rough dirt roads in mind to take this commander. Considering a rooftop tent too.
Any advice is welcome.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I was wondering, as I set up my commander for multi month touring, what cooking appliances have been tried, using stock alternator/battery
I am under impression the 5.7 hemi comes with a 175amp alternator; which seems it should supply some serious power while vehicle is running.
I been roaming country 8 years with my subaru outback; but theres about 20 places I want to go that I couldn't make with the subaru. So I got some rough dirt roads in mind to take this commander. Considering a rooftop tent too.
Any advice is welcome.
Generally specs say 160A amp alternator, depends where you read it, I've seen 150A, 160A, and 175A. I haven't seen any aftermarket high amp alternators out there for the Commander. Sounds like some fun plans. Here's a video I ran across a couple of years ago, might help get the thoughts going.

·
Registered
391 Posts
i havent done multimonth but go weekend camping with a truck fridge cooler and coleman suitcase gas stove. both would work fine and no need for an inverter.

·
Administrator
6,657 Posts
Any advice is welcome.
Welcome to the forum @G-rad; I lived in the Florida Keys for 17 years from Key West all the way up to Marathon - left there in 2010 - best move I ever made.

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Was wondering about electric fan on my 2006 jeep commander 4,7.does it only turn on when motor gets hot?
If you're talking about the radiator fan, yes, it would only turn on at a certain temp.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any advice is welcome.
Hey G-rad! This is Don from SE Texas. Went to Key West once. Beautiful! Great Cuban food!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts