Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Royal Purple HPS Series motor oil is specifically formulated to maximize performance and meet the demands of high performance and modified engines. It is fortified with a high level of zinc/phosphorus anti-wear additive and Royal Purple’s proprietary Synerlec® additive technology. This unique blend enables HPS to outperform leading synthetics and conventional lubricants.
Available viscosities include: 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30, 10W-40 and 20W-50. HPS is recommended for vehicles no longer under manufacturer warranty and for those seeking a higher level of performance and protection. For vehicles under warranty, Royal Purple recommends its API licensed oils available at retailers nationwide.
Royal Purple HPS Series of motor oil responds to increased pressure with increased viscosity. It’s advanced additive technologies, such as Synerlec®, improves the condition of metal-to-metal contact under severe conditions for greater protection. Take a look at the following photos:

A new bearing surface appears smooth until magnified 1500X.
The bearing is scuffed after using a leading synthetic motor oil.
The bearing is visibly smoother after using Royal Purple HPS.
Performance Advantages

• Significantly reduces heat and wear to help protect your engine
  • Improves sealing between the piston ring and cylinder wall for maximum horsepower and torque
  • Protects valve trains using roller or flat tappet lifters requiring added protection due to high lift/ high ramp rate camshafts
  • Exceptional oxidation stability—HPS maximizes oil life and allows for extended oil drain intervals
  • Reduces engine deposits and keeps engines clean with its advanced synthetic solvency

this video shows some drastic differences in oils including mobile 1 which is sample A i believe based on the container.

I just ordered the stuff for my next change cost me 106 dollars for a 12 qt case pretty pricey but after seeing the video i dont trust mobile 1 anymore!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

this video shows some good info on how royal purples oil filters are made they look like good filters i use wix now but maybe ill use royal purple now?

Each Filter features:
  • 100% synthetic micro-glass media for superior particle removal with 99% filtration efficiency at 25 microns. See the difference!
    Both photos are taken at a magnification of 250x. The photo on the left uses conventional cellulose filtration fibers. The spaces allow larger particles to pass through to your engine. The photo on the right, of Royal Purple's filter media, uses the latest technology filtration system which filters out particles as small as 25mc.
  • A high-performance silicone anti-drain back valve that prevents dry starts, even in extreme conditions.
  • An extra heavy duty rubber base gasket that ensures a leak-free seal.
  • Ultra-strength filter housing endures higher burst strength than conventional filters.

·
Super Moderator
15,102 Posts
this video shows some good info on how royal purples oil filters are made they look like good filters i use wix now but maybe ill use royal purple now?
I also use Wix filters but If I can find the Royal Purple I think I will give it a try next time.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
what would be a good oil/filter change interval given average driving (about 700 miles per month in city and highway commute conditions)?

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
i depends on what oil your using synthetic or conventional synthetic you could go 5 thousand miles or 6 months whatever comes first
I meant using these Royal Purple products. I change the oil/filter at 5K intervals and I'm not using synthetic. I thought this Royal Purple oil/filter combo could run longer than that.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I change my oil once a year, but I drive my XK less than 5,000 per year.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thumbs up for RP ! Used them exclusively in both my race cars, and just about every vehicle we've owned in last 10 years...Same with Wix/Napa Gold filters

·
Registered
707 Posts
Not to burst any bubbles, but I read on an oil forum that this load test does not simulate any real world conditions inside an engine. I believe Amsoil has demonstrated this theory in one of their videos that can be found on Youtube.

I am not questioning the quality of Royal Purple products, but just their advertising methods.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just a heads up Pep boys has a coupon on their website for $10 for any RP oil filter. I figured for 99% efficiency that's a good price. part #20-400 for 3.7L, normally $15.99.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Just a heads up Pep boys has a coupon on their website for $10 for any RP oil filter. I figured for 99% efficiency that's a good price. part #20-400 for 3.7L, normally $15.99.
Thanks for the tip. Just got the filter for the next oil change. Listed for $15.49.
By the way, here's the response I got from Royal Purple re: my HEMI. Hope it helps you all with HEMIs.

"For your 2006 Jeep 5.7 Hemi Commander we recommend the following:

Engine: Royal Purple SAE 5W-20 (part #01520, quart bottle)-(a warranty compliant oil) or as an optional performance and protection upgrade oil Royal Purple HPS 5W20 (part #31520, quart bottle)( a non-warranty compliant performance oil);
Engine Oil Filter: Royal Purple Extended Life Synthetic Oil Filter (part #20-253);

Auto Trans: Royal Purple Max ATF (part #01320, quart bottle); 6.6 quarts- pan drain / 14.1 quarts- dry fill;

Front differential: Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-140 (part #01301, quart bottle); 1.8 quarts;

Rear Differential: Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-140 (part #01301, quart bottle); 2.2 - 2.35 quarts;

Transfer Case: We recommend using the OE factor fluid on the NV245 transfer case;

Power Steering: Royal Purple Max EZ (part #01326, 12- oz bottle);

For engine oil in street driven passenger car/light truck gasoline engines that are mechanically sound, and stock or mildly modified, the Royal Purple oil change interval is up to 12,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. Please see below for general details on oil change intervals:

Depending on how many times you have put a high-quality synthetic motor oil in your engine, we recommend you stay with the manufacturer's recommended interval for two oil and filter changes. This is generally 3,000 to 6,000 miles.

If you have done this with another high quality synthetic motor oil, or if you have another car that has very low mileage (new or almost new car), the oil change interval can immediately be extended to 2x to 3x the recommended factory interval up to a very safe extended interval of up to 12,000 miles or 1 year. We recommend changing the engine oil filter during the extended oil interval using a high-quality filter. If the filter manufacturer gives mileage guidance, feel free to use that. Otherwise, if running the oil to 12,000 miles, change the filter and top off the oil level at 4,000 miles and 8,000 miles. If you run the oil for up to 10,000 miles, a single filter change at 5,000 miles will be sufficient.

With the Royal Purple Extended Life Oil Filter you can go the full 12,000 miles with RP oil. Your 5.7L Hemi V8 Jeep Commander takes part #20-253.

If you put less than 6,000 miles a year on your vehicle, we recommend changing engine oil and filter once per year.

Whenever you change the oil filter, but not the oil, be sure to top off the oil level to make up for oil lost with the filter change. Check your fluid level occasionally because all engines will use some oil.

The 'short' initial oil change interval is to ensure that your engine is relatively clean before going to the extended interval. Many conventional oils and lower quality 'synthetics' tend to form deposits inside engines, and in diesels, leave soot build-up. The natural detergent action of Royal Purple's superior quality base oils tend to clean these deposits and dirty up the oil quickly. After the first two oil changes with Royal Purple, the bulk of the gunk should be gone.

Thank you for choosing Royal Purple and have a great day!

Jim Morrissey
Technical Services
Royal Purple, Inc
."

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i recieved my oil filters yesterday for the v6 and the V8 and all i can say is wow what a difference in wieght compared to the wix they are alot heavier and look to be good filters i ordered mine off of luckyseventrucks.com my new hps oil should be here by thursday it was delayed because they were out of the 12 qt cases but when I change the oil ill update the thread by the way the filter sizes for the hemi and the 4.7 are 20-253 and the V6 is 20-400 so if anyone is wondering im rather impressed with the feel and look of the filters

·
Registered
471 Posts
Jeep Jorge and hummer recovery, I already said this on another thread, but thank you guys for my new fluids bible. I'm going to put a copy right in the jeep.

-rjhj.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Jeep Jorge and hummer recovery, I already said this on another thread, but thank you guys for my new fluids bible. I'm going to put a copy right in the jeep.

-rjhj.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Any time. Cheers.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts