Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

New here, I am picking up my 2006 Jeep Commander Sport tomorrow. It's silver with gray interior. I believe it's just the base model (all I need) and it only had 24K miles on it. Drove great on the test drive, no dings or scratches. I got a carfax and there were no issues reported. I paid $13,995. Is that a good deal?

One very stupid question, I didn't buy from a Jeep Dealership so I don't think they would know this answer. What is the frequency of the oil changes? Also, any recalls or TSB's I should know about?

Thanks again :)

Amy

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Welcome Amy, Glad to have you here.

For a full list of TSB's Click Here

As far as oil changes, that is really your preference but I would recommend every 3,000 miles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much! I have no idea how to find out if my Commander had any of these TSB's done. Have you had any major problems with yours? I fell in love with it the second I test drove it. I don't understand the posts that bash the look of this vehicle. Personally, I'm very excited to be driving this manly looking SUV :eyemouth: I think it has a great design.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
most likely everything needed has been done since you have an '06.

The only issues I have had was a recall on the brakes and the TSB on windows that would go up or down further that you wanted when you pushed the button (automatically go back down).

Some have had more issues but mine has been basically trouble free (hopefully yours too). I would say drive it for 30 days and then see if you have any issues as I would think they have been fixed by the previous owner.

Do you plan on doing any offroading or are you a street driver only?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well from the Carfax report I found out that the Jeep was delivered to the dealership on 1/16/06 and not sold unitl 10/28/06. The owner had the car for 1 year and 11 months then my dealership bought it from the auction. So I hope that most of the issues have been addressed. Again, I bought it from a used car dealer so I doubt they know the specifics about the vehicle like an actual Jeep Dealership would. My husband and I frequent the woods of Maine every year so this will be a great vehicle to get us there.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Welcome to the forum BostonAmy.

I am a New England boy born and raised.

Your Commander, like mine, may have been a rental in the beginning of it's life. I have had no major problems with mine. Only issue I have ever had was the front passenger window which was fixed under a TSB warrenty and an issue with the shifter but I cannot remember the exact issue with that. I do remember it was fixed under another TSB warrenty though.

Where in Maine do you and your husband go?

I have family in Bangor.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If I remember correctly I think if you call a Chrysler dealer with your vin numbers they can tell you what has been done to your Commander. I am sure if this isn't correct someone else will let you know and how to check on it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all the information. The carfax stated it was a one owner vehicle so I don't believe it was a rental. My husband and I go to Orrington, Maine to Lake Thurston. Very beautiful.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If I remember correctly I think if you call a Chrysler dealer with your vin numbers they can tell you what has been done to your Commander. I am sure if this isn't correct someone else will let you know and how to check on it.
You can also enter your VIN on the Jeep.com web site and the system will check for you, Most likely the dealer did it before they sold it too you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay I plugged the Vin # into Jeep.com and this is what it says:

Here are your results:

VIN Number:
1J8HG48K4 6C221841 Vehicle Description:
JEEP COMMANDER 4X4 SPORT UTILITY 4-DR Model Year:
No Incomplete Recalls or Customer Satisfaction Notifications Exist

NOTE:
Results returned represent unperformed or incomplete Recalls and Customer Satisfaction Notifications initiated by Chrysler Motors Company LLC at the time of your inquiry.

Is this good?

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
That is good news, the previous owner has responded to any issues if there were any and you have none to schedule repairs for.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Thanks! Do you guys think I did okay on the price?
Price is subjective and I am not sure you really want anyone to respond and say "Wow, did you over pay for that!"

Price seems consistent with what others have paid

·
Super Moderator
15,092 Posts
That is good news, the previous owner has responded to any issues if there were any and you have none to schedule repairs for.
That would apply to recalls but not problems covered by a TSB.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the welcome! How has your base Commander been running? I was supposed to pick mine up today but the dealer called and pushed it until tomorrow. Oh well :mofo:

Anyways... I looked through the "message center" briefly and now I can't remember, does it have the "Miles until Empty" feature? I loved that about my Mountaineer....What else does the Message Center tell you?

Also, When I took the test drive, the tire pressure light was on but it was also about 30F out so I'm assuming it's nothing to worry about. If it's still on when I pick it up tomorrow should I just put some air in the tires or does the tire pressure expand once you start driving and warming it up?

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Hello Boston Amy and welcome.

What is the holdup with the delivery? You could contact a jeep dealers or take it to a jeep dealer for an oil change and ask if they could run a check for work that has been doe on it. Chrysler does or did maintain a database for work done at Chrysler dealers.

What engine do you have?

I think the proce sounds reasonable. Check it against craigslist and ebay prices. That will give you a fair idea of how it compares. But it is a buyers market, if there is still credit available out there.....

We are picture freaks, if there isnt a picture, it doesnt exist!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts