Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all!!! I just brought home my new to me 2006 Commander Limited 5.7 Hemi, on the way home I got a flashing check engine light and motor hesitation/skipping while flat towing my TJ, The code reader came back with P0300 and P0303 misfire code, I had already ordered my 16 champion copper sparkplugs and new boots for a tune up, Today I also ordered a new coil for the #3 cylinder hoping this clears the misfire, also going to do a Seafoam gas treatment any other suggestions as to why this might happen and other possible solutions..
Also I checked the coolant which appears to be low but noticed the coolant was the green colored Preston type antifreeze not the pink HOAT coolant recommend by mopar, I spoke with the P.O (my best friend) When the motor was replaced about 60k ago with a used motor that had 27k on it they used the green antifreeze, I am wondering if I should flush the coolant and replace with the pink stuff or just continue with the green.. Thanks for all and any input!!!

Attachments

·
Banned
105 Posts
I would flush and get the correct HOAT fluid. Prestone claims to be compatible but most don’t risk it. I believe Zerex (sp?) is the only aftermarket source approved for our Jeeps, however the Chrysler fluid is available on Amazon and eBay if you can’t find a decent dealer near by.

Sorry I don’t know about you other problem, but if small fixes do not correct it definitely get a compression test, just a good baseline for the health of the engine even if you don’t need to do it right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
480 Posts
It sounds like you've got the basic maintenance items for a misfire covered. If it's not spark, then you'll probably have to check fuel delivery.

As far as coolant goes, as long as it was properly flushed you'll have no problems with the green stuff. People don't recommend mixing HOAT with the green stuff, but running it on its own would be safe. However I wouldn't expect it to last anywhere near as long as HOAT, which is why automakers moved to OAT and HOAT to begin with. Just choose a type and stick with it.

·
Super Moderator
14,936 Posts
Also I checked the coolant which appears to be low but noticed the coolant was the green colored Preston type antifreeze not the pink HOAT coolant recommend by mopar, I spoke with the P.O (my best friend) When the motor was replaced about 60k ago with a used motor that had 27k on it they used the green antifreeze, I am wondering if I should flush the coolant and replace with the pink stuff or just continue with the green.. Thanks for all and any input!!!
Get rid of the green stuff. See this thread on the correct coolant--->http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/5-general-commander-discussion/9422-what-correct-coolant-commander-7.html.

·
Super Moderator
14,936 Posts
As far as coolant goes, as long as it was properly flushed you'll have no problems with the green stuff. People don't recommend mixing HOAT with the green stuff, but running it on its own would be safe. However I wouldn't expect it to last anywhere near as long as HOAT, which is why automakers moved to OAT and HOAT to begin with. Just choose a type and stick with it.
From the Owner's Manual:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,936 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts